Carly is not messing around.
Carly Rae Jepsen is not messing around.
Jepsen has been hard at work on her forthcoming studio for a couple of years now. After 2015’s E•MO•TION, pop music’s Tinkerbell has a bit of pressure to surpass the acclaim she received for that, but she’ll try. During a promo stop in China, Jepsen hung out with a couple of fans and revealed she’s spent time in L.A. and Stockholm making new music, and as of now has more than 50 songs in her arsenal. 50!!!
“I actually write a lot when I travel, too,” she said. “Sometimes on the road with my band buddies. I’m about 50 songs in believe it or not which is crazy.” Watch below (side note: makeup on fleek):
Can anyone give me an english subtitle please?
She speaks so fast I can't catch it😥 pic.twitter.com/3X700X05ze
— カーリーレイジェプセンJP Eika (@JepsiesJPN) May 14, 2017
Last April, she touched base with Stereogum about it. Here were the highlights:
• Listened to Leon Bridges, old Motown records to the Bee Gees and the latest 1975 LP.
• Revealed plans to travel to Sweden to work on the LP.
• Shared song titles for two for her songwriting collaborations with her guitarist Tavish Crowe: the jazz-inspired “Tenderly” and a song called “Sails,” which is about the “journey of being on the road.”
• Admitted that she asked her A&R rep if she could “go away for three years” and return with a 45-song deluxe album. He (and plenty of other folks) told her that there’s no way that’s happening, so she’ll have to be a little more realistic.
• Wanted to release the new LP in the next year. “I feel fired up. My dream would be to hopefully get something out at the top of 2017 that I felt right about. But if I didn’t feel right, then I would wait. That’s the one thing … I don’t want to rush,” she confessed.
While we wait to see what Carly has up her sleeve, give Emotion: Side B another listen: