Here are 14 things you need to know about Nicki Minaj’s latest Billboard cover story.
1. Don’t ask her about Iggy Azalea. She’ll respond with “a withering, wordless stare.”
2. Has the booty AND the brains. “Sometimes as women in the industry — if you’re **** or like doing **** things — some people subconsciously negate your brain. They think you’re stupid.”
3. She’s not a puppet. “She’s super-friendly,” says writer-producer Ester Dean, “but in this evil business you become hard and strong because you’ve got to be, not because you want to.”
4. She got it from her mama. “My mother always had this attitude that she didn’t take no for an answer. So I guess that carried on to me.”
5. After judging on American Idol, people thought she was smarter than they previously thought. “What does that mean? Was I making weird faces [that made you think] I was stupid?”
6. Sells a lot of perfume (I’ll never tell). “I was just a little kid in Southside Jamaica, Queens, hoping one day I would have my own perfume, and now I have three.”
7. Cameron Diaz encouraged Nicki Minaj in their movie together. “She kept speaking to me telling me that I was making the right choices as the character.”
8. Maintains her privacy by… “just by not talking about it. It’s that simple. I mean, people know how to be private but they don’t want to be private.”
9. She likes to “have ***” on her downtime.
11. Loves Larry David.
12. Considers herself a “skinny girl.”
13. Doesn’t whine thanks to Beyonce. “There’s something about her work ethic that always made me feel like no matter how hard stuff gets, I’m not allowed to complain.”
14. Her new album, “The Pinkprint,” will be her best work yet. “You should always be competing. You should always be trying to show that you’re the best. My album is going to be important to hip-hop.”