Obviously they were both HUGE at their peak of success and fame but in different ways.

Britney was the biggest teen popstar EVER while Madonna was the most successful female star in the industry.

However I do think Madonna was bigger because I think she was the first BIG female popstar, there weren't really any before her. 

She opened the doors for other female stars to be free, empowered and sexual.

Plus there was no social media around back then, so every video/song she released was like a big event or controversy.

What do you guys honestly think?

• Upvote 3

I wasn’t alive when Madonna was in her peak so I can’t even fathom tbh

Same with MJ...

Britney

Gaga

Bieber and Taylor

Are the only solo artists (pop scale: I’m not counting Adele because pop culture impact wasn’t ther) in my life that were huge huge... 

Britney was overall the biggest recently but I don’t think she was bigger than Madonna or MJ. 

Madonna is that bitch. She has been going strong for so long and seems to be no where near done. Britney’s prime lasted for   About 4 years. Madonna literally didn’t hit a wall until about when Britney’s peak ended. There really is no comparing tbh

• Upvote 8

Madonna is the Queen of Pop for a reason. She is and always will be the only artist this whole fan base has a mutual respect for and there’s a reason for that

Call her mother. She is the Ru Paul of pop girlies :bedtime:

• Upvote 9

:wyd:Britney was sensation in her peak but comparing to madonna she was nobody. Madonna's peak was also way longer than Britney's. In fact one could say that madonna's peak never ended. All of her 15 studio albums have sold over 1 million copies. Even her compilation albums are more popular than most Britney's albums. Madonna's Rebel Heart tour, which promoted her worst selling album had bigger revenue than Britney's DWAD and ONYX tours combined. You can't compare those two. Madonna is Best selling female artist ever.

• Upvote 9

There wasn’t social media during Britney’s peak too just emails that everybody were doing emails :jj:

• Upvote 9

Its alot easier to become famous now with the internet. And Britney was the first celebrity to really get caught up in that intense media interest in this era. So its hard to compare that to Madonna. Who had to work much harder to make a bigger impact. 

• Upvote 1

Madonna. Her peak also lasted longer than Britneys. I mean Britneys peak was basically 4 years.

• Upvote 9

Madonna's career was bigger. Britney was definitely more famous, especially in 2007. Britney was literally in the news every single day. She was on every magazine cover for an entire year.

• Upvote 2

Madonna :overitkbye:

Britney if she hadn’t taken that break from 04-07. And then if the drama from 07/08 hadn’t happen and she stayed “Primeney” during 08-13 during the resurgence of mainstream Pop. She would be the undisputed Queen of Pop. 

But that’s all shoulda coulda woulda :zoomzoom:

• Upvote 10

Madonna is the Queen of Pop, the ultimate female pop star, a true artist and talent💋

• Upvote 1

Definetely Madonna. The scale goes like this:

Michael Jackson (I know)

Madonna

Britney Spears

Lady Gaga

Justin Bieber

Taylor Swift. I still don't understand her popularity though. Many adults outside from the US don't even know her name. I still see her as a kids/teens' act but whatever...

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, Spearsfan said:

I wasn’t alive when Madonna was in her peak so I can’t even fathom tbh

Same with MJ...

Britney

Gaga

Bieber and Taylor

Are the only solo artists (pop scale: I’m not counting Adele because pop culture impact wasn’t ther) in my life that were huge huge... 

Britney was overall the biggest recently but I don’t think she was bigger than Madonna or MJ. 

Madonna is that bitch. She has been going strong for so long and seems to be no where near done. Britney’s prime lasted for   About 4 years. Madonna literally didn’t hit a wall until about when Britney’s peak ended. There really is no comparing tbh

I think Taylor was bigger in the US but ww Gaga slayed way more charts and had more impact overall. 

Since Britney's debut i feel like Gaga was the most successful popstar when u think about sales, impact, popularity etc 

• Upvote 4

I’m trying to see how old you guys are to even know? I don’t think I was alive or too young too remember 🤷🏽‍♂️ When I did understand music I saw more of Janet than Madonna so idk 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bundy said:

I think Taylor was bigger in the US but ww Gaga slayed way more charts and had more impact overall. 

Since Britney's debut i feel like Gaga was the most successful popstar when u think about sales, impact, popularity etc 

I deff think Gaga is bigger WW but in the US Taylor will go down as one of the best selling artists in the US ever even her career is all said and done. 

I don’t understand her hype but it’s pretty huge. 

Gaga was a phenomenon though for her first three eras. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rickey3089 said:

I’m trying to see how old you guys are to even know? I don’t think I was alive or too young too remember 🤷🏽‍♂️ When I did understand music I saw more of Janet than Madonna so idk 

I agree, Madonna was consistently at her prime from 1985-93, Where Janet took over till 2004 when Justin sabotaged her career.

By 98 when Ray of Light came out she was on icon status. And then since 2000 Music she’s been hit or miss like Britney from 2013-Now. But that usually happens once artist hit 40, with very few exceptions. 

Britney really had the potential to outdo Madonna, mainly because she started at an earlier age.

• Upvote 2

Although I'm a Britney stan, I must say Gaga is bigger in every aspects.:whatitellu:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Taylor is not even a real phenomena outside the US :cackling: Sales aside, she has nothing on other mentioned acts (Bieber, MJ, Britney, Madonna, Etc).

Britney and Madonna's careers are somewhat too different for us to compare them. Madonna pretty much redefined the meaning of being a female popstar, and every other girl then followed her path. Her career has an huge span ever since she started, many hits along the years, it's hard to even define how many actual peaks she had, reinvented herself and created huge classics all along her career, up until MDNA when she started to decline. Also she has been a true activist, spoke on many important matters (religion, feminism, politics and so on) on speeches and through her music, she was a huge pop culture impact. Specially music-wise, for a good part of her career, every Madonna era had something to bring to the table, you rarely would feel any of her work was 'more of the same thing'.

Britney's career on the other hand was always bubblegum pop and sex. Even if she isn't, they just build her image as a sexy icon,
and that's pretty much what there is to it. Nobody ever wanted to know what she had to say on other areas, she didn't earn the respect Madonna did, she didn't create things like Ray of Light, albums that can be considered pieces of art, her career was very 'safe' throughout the years. Sadly, I feel she is gonna be remembered more like the girl who went crazy in '07 than someone who, somehow, changed pop music, even though she really did. :(

It's not fair, however, to say one is more and other is less. Madonna chose to be a star and started after she was an adult that knew what she was getting into. She was never treated as a puppet by the industry without knowing it, she didn't have her first relationship / lost of virginity becoming a news media outlet trend at such an young age. Britney on the other hand was pretty much *handled* throughout her career, and eventually shut up when she wanted to give deeper input into it. In The Zone is the only moment where she could probably be going somewhere higher, somewhere more mature, and it kinda went back to basic pop in Gimme More (even though we all love it).

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Spearsfan said:

I deff think Gaga is bigger WW but in the US Taylor will go down as one of the best selling artists in the US ever even her career is all said and done. 

I don’t understand her hype but it’s pretty huge. 

Gaga was a phenomenon though for her first three eras. 

Exactly. I was suprised to see how Taylor doesnt have #1 in many european countries and how Gaga slays from France to Ireland. Same goes to Rihanna. There are topics about Popstars performances chart-wise ww on some forum and suprisingly Beyoncé isnt that great as well

Its the same between Mariah and Madonna. Mariah had all these #1 songs in the US but ww Madonna was way bigger.

I think Taylor can be charismatic, she treats her fans well, is pretty and has some bops, but I agree she is pretty basic.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Although I'm a Britney stan, I must say Gaga is bigger in every aspects.:whatitellu:

But it's sad because like she said in her speech "it's just hard work", a concept oblivious to Britney  :yeahsure:

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, The Greatest Show said:

Madonna. Her peak also lasted longer than Britneys. I mean Britneys peak was basically 4 years.

And she's had multiple peaks :tbh:

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Well kinda. Gaga borrows a lot from Britney's early career, I see too much Dream Within a Dream in her Monster Ball tour. All this colorfulness she sported during her imperial years has a lot of Britney, more than Madonna to be honest, and also the urge to create a memorable VMA presentation also comes from Britney's ones (good and bad ones). So is it really fair to say she's bigger when she has so much to thank both Britney and Madonna? She is f**king awesome, a genius, she crafts her own music, she is in control of her career, but did she bring so much to the table to be considered bigger than people she's based her work on?

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, ralphcornio said:

Well kinda. Gaga borrows a lot from Britney's early career, I see too much Dream Within a Dream in her Monster Ball tour. All this colorfulness she sported during her imperial years has a lot of Britney, more than Madonna to be honest, and also the urge to create a memorable VMA presentation also comes from Britney's ones (good and bad ones). So is it really fair to say she's bigger when she has so much to thank both Britney and Madonna? She is f**king awesome, a genius, she crafts her own music, she is in control of her career, but did she bring so much to the table to be considered bigger than people she's based her work on?

She was inspired by Britney, just like Britney was inspired by Madonna and others. Gaga has her own essence and changed pop music in late 00's...

• Upvote 2