Lil Jay

Is Ariana now what Britney used to be in late 90s-early 00s in terms of popularity?

On 2/26/2019 at 11:28 AM, Isla. said:

How is Adele not a pop star? 

I can’t really speak for other people, but I usually think of a Pop Star as someone who sings and dances. The full package and might come across as being a manufactured product. Their personality and looks are more so the focus than the music. Adele is definitely not that. Her voice is the big show. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

I can’t really speak for other people, but I usually think of a Pop Star as someone who sings and dances. The full package and might come across as being a manufactured product. Their personality and looks are more so the focus than the music. Adele is definitely not that. Her voice is the big show. 

I see. I only saw Adele as a pop star as that is the type of music she sings. I guess ‘pop singer’ is more appropriate? 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Isla. said:

I see. I only saw Adele as a pop star as that is the type of music she sings. I guess ‘pop singer’ is more appropriate? 

Yeah, cuz she’s definitely more than a pop personality, so to speak. 

• Upvote 1

Britney was way more even with just 1 #1 in the hot 100 at that time. Her worldwide impact was insane even with a USA radio ban for like 2 years of her prime. She was a force of nature. No disrespect to the amazing Ariana Grande. I do think that Ariana's management team is way better though. Britney's management fell off after just 5 years, or her work relationship with them got lazy and uncreative. But that's partly due to too much fame and her having a family.

• Upvote 2

Ariana is huge right now but no, nothing really has come close to what Britney was back then. MAYBE Gaga, but it was just so different with Britney. Everyone was trying to be her and she really was a force to watch. There was something so special from Britney. Ariana is fun but there's nothing special about her at all.

She had a good voice but most singers do. She can't dance, she can't perform, her videos are mostly forgettable, she has some fun songs but they're not iconic or ground breaking, her shows are lack luster. Britney really is a true SUPERSTAR. There are only a few people pop singers that are really like that - Michael and Janet, Madonna, Britney...

• Upvote 2

I mean I was young at the time so I don't remember fully how Britney Spears was

I know Eminem was pretty darn huge too, so was Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga at their prime

I can't think of any other names

Ariana has hit singles but she doesn't dominate other areas of success to the same degree

On 3/20/2019 at 11:21 PM, BOBIBCFBG said:

Ariana is huge right now but no, nothing really has come close to what Britney was back then. MAYBE Gaga, but it was just so different with Britney. Everyone was trying to be her and she really was a force to watch. There was something so special from Britney. Ariana is fun but there's nothing special about her at all.

She had a good voice but most singers do. She can't dance, she can't perform, her videos are mostly forgettable, she has some fun songs but they're not iconic or ground breaking, her shows are lack luster. Britney really is a true SUPERSTAR. There are only a few people pop singers that are really like that - Michael and Janet, Madonna, Britney...

Gaga at her prime between 2009 and 2011was the biggest thing I can recall since I been following music which started around 2004

But I'm only 25. I was young when Britney and say Eminem were at their prime I wasn't really taking it in yet

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2019 at 7:01 PM, ralphcornio said:

Eminem :haha:

Hes the best selling artist from 2000s

Hes the best selling rapper of all time, the only one who sold over 100m records 

5 years after his first single, he won an Oscar beating a U2 song from a Scorsese movie. His movie debut had good reviews, so did his acting. He was so big that others rappers like Jay-Z and Kanye would shade him out of jealous for his huge success, same happened with Britney being attacked by Pink and people who sold less than her.

On 2/25/2019 at 4:08 AM, Lil Jay said:

So Ariana is like the biggest thing in pop music these days, or at least she was in 2018 with Sweetener and Thank You, Next. 

So my question to the long Britney stans, how big it is comopared to idk 2000ney or something? Just for example:receipts2:

Lol no, replace Ariana with BTS, then yes

On 3/1/2019 at 12:06 PM, brit_wing said:

<youtube> 

i never experienced britney's prime. I experienced gaga's prime and it was HUGE. I think gaga's prme come close, at least this is what i heard on exhale.

Gaga did come close to Britney's prime, actually she had her own very different prime that was massive. She was older, Britney was much younger--gaga started at 22 or 23 years old whereas britney was 16...Britney grew up within her prime eras whereas Gaga was more of a partying adult already. The personal relationship with the public and fans is always back factor. Justin Bieber's fame is similar to Britney's tbh. Britney was still bigger impact wise though.

No way. Not even Gaga or Swift had the level of popularity that Brit had back then :tbh:

• Upvote 1

To answer the OP, HELL NO.

I bop to Ariana's music when I hear it in public, but to me, there's nothing interesting about her. When I look at her videos I see nice visuals, but I forget about it days later.

Britney's videos and album cycles were events. They are part of pop culture. The same goes for her performances. Ariana, to me, is a great example of an exceptionally gifted singer who also happens to be very good looking, but who lacks the magnetism to be a certified superstar. Nothing about her draws me in.