Jump to content
other

other Say Something Nice About A Celebrity You Can’t Stand

Recommended Posts

Due to internet and celebrity culture, I’d say >90% of the comments on any given online forum are intended to tear down a public figure. I thought it’d be fun, and perhaps a bit novel, to choose celebrities we truly dislike, and challenge ourselves to say positive things about them.

Here’s mine:

1. Kim Kardashian: she’s vapid, vacuous, boring as dry toast and it’s frankly baffling that over the past decade she’s become a role model for millions of girls, based solely upon her (intentionally) releasing an old sex tape wherein she gets peed on.

But with that being said, she is stunningly beautiful and has reinvigorated a lot of interest in beauty trends and high fashion, the latter of which hasn’t been at the forefront of public consciousness since the classic “supermodel” archetype died out sometimes in the 90s. (Also, I’ll totally confess to having bought her famous Ben Nye Banana Powder based upon the recommendation of her makeup artist, and it’s simply the best, most affordable luxury beauty product ever).

Also, I do think her body type helped usher in a new appreciation for curvy women, after decades of fashion designers refusing to even dress A-List celebrities that were unable to squeeze into a size 2. Of course, this too has been bastardized at this point, as she keeps shrouding herself in CGI photoshop and seemingly neverending rounds of plastic surgery, (of which she then subsequently denies), thereby effectively negating any “body positive” message there may have originally been.

Umm, so yeah, I think that’s as nice as I can be, at least verbally. So, instead, here’s some pictures of Kim where I think she’s killing it, fashion wise:

(Tom Ford for Gucci)

hbz-kim-karashian-1104-getty-1509992416.

(Louis Vuitton)

hbz-kim-kardashianhadid-0621-splash-1529

(Vivienne Westwood)

kim-kardashian-full-1498080789.jpg?crop=

(Versace)

Met-Gala-2018-Kim-Kardashian-1334294.jpg

(Tom Ford)

kim-kardashian-stuns-at-tom-ford-nyfw-sh

(Maison Margiela and Gucci)

kim-kardashian-out-in-new-york-06-14-201

(Versace)

hbz-kim-karadashian-0508-1525875228.jpg?

Okay, this ended up way longer than intended, so I’ll start adding my other selections within the thread. In the meanwhile, I encourage you all to do the same! If nothing else, it’ll be different from what we usually engage in, and could be interesting.

ETA: I only request that everyone stick to “actual” celebrities, and leave politicians (from either side of the political spectrum) off of this thread. I’m actually very political in my personal life, but there’s a time and a place and I’m frankly exhausted by all the bickering 24/7. This site should be a fun form of escapism, so let’s keep it as such. :) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2. Taylor Swift. She’s petty, immature, vindictive, hypocritical, manipulative, a blatant liar, and, frankly, a wolf in sheeps’ clothing.

Most importantly, she’s also a terrible performer, dancer and simply awful singer (I mean, who the hell is that off-key even whilst autotuned)!? She has zero charisma and appears like she’d stab absolutely anyone in the back, were it to benefit her career. I also find her very disingenuous in how she represents herself, and as such, she is still falsely known as some brilliant songwriter, when we know, in fact, her impeccable 1989 pop hits were courtesy of none other than Max Martin.

But with that being said, she did release the most catchy pop record of at least a year with the aforementioned album. Since then, “Look What You Made Me Do” was a pretty brilliant and impressive music video, and she committed wholly to the role (e.g., I don’t know if a lot of pop girls would be willing to look “ugly” as she did in the opening Zombie scene), and I did appreciate her making fun of herself at the end with all the “multiple Taylors” (even though I failed to recognize over half of the looks being referred to). 

giphy.gif

True positives sans passive-aggressiveness: I have read, from more than one reliable source, that she treats her fans incredibly well, spending one-on-one time with them, hosting intimate soundchecks, buying them pizza, etc. Since the majority of her audience is on the younger side, I find that extremely lovely, especially since she’s definitely famous enough (and possesses a powerful enough PR machine) to where she could easily just blow these fans off, and the world would be none the wiser.

Also, this scene from LWYMMD is super fierce, and she looks really beautiful:

look-what-you-made-me-do-taylor-swift-jo

She also has good personal style, and is obviously doing *something* right regarding her career, especially when compared to her peers. So, merely considering her many, many years of nearly unparalleled success, I have to give her props for being the committed, hard-worker she is, and for amassing the empire she has prior to age 30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, fine, I've been told I have self-destructive tendencies anyway, so i’ll just say something nice about myself instead.

Dear @LostInAnImage: Your threads are so overwhelmingly thought-provoking that it intimidates other potential posters, thereby discouraging them from responding. But don't worry; no matter how pretentious you become, you'll never be as despicable as Kim Kardashian or Taylor Swift. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To reply to your Taylor swift comment, The way she says, "ooohhhh, cuz she's dead" in LWYMMD, the "oooh" part makes me think she's a really passive aggressive person in real life, that tone is so annoying, but I don't know her personally to say this for certain.  But I like her music. 

Beyonce: I like her album lemonade and the visuals she presented. even though she steals lies and cheats, she works harder than all of my favs combined, and doesn't release perfumes every single year.

Mooriah: i think she has one of kind voice. even if i hate her whispers and random high notes, she has songs that really blow me away like "We belong together" "Mine", "Loverboy", "One sweet day", basically the songs where she doesn't whisper or use her whistle register are the ones i can appreciate.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Spongbob said:

I legitimately can't think of anything:decisions:

I’ll help!  :pieceofwhat: Just name a celebrity you don’t like (doesn’t have to be an artist, just someone famous that rubs you the wrong way for whatever reason). Then we will figure out A) Why they irritate you, and B) what redeemable qualities they have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, STJ said:

To reply to your Taylor swift comment, The way she says, "ooohhhh, cuz she's dead" in LWYMMD, the "oooh" part makes me think she's a really passive aggressive person in real life, that tone is so annoying, but I don't know her personally to say this for certain.  But I like her music. 

Beyonce: I like her album lemonade and the visuals she presented. even though she steals lies and cheats, she works harder than all of my favs combined, and doesn't release perfumes every single year.

Mooriah: i think she has one of kind voice. even if i hate her whispers and random high notes, she has songs that really blow me away like "We belong together" "Mine", "Loverboy", "One sweet day", basically the songs where she doesn't whisper or use her whistle register are the ones i can appreciate.

 

 

I honestly don’t know enough about Beyoncé to decide if there is any veracity regarding her unscrupulous practices, but have heard the claim repeatedly. Not personally a fan but can’t deny she is probably the hardest working woman in the music industry today.

As far as your other two: I totally agree with everything you said. MC has (or used to have, at least) the capacity for such amazing sustained belts and unbelievable whistle notes, but then spent at least half of her songs doing this whiny, half-talking breathy thing (e.g., “Through The Rain.”) It seriously drove me crazy. I do love a few songs like “Always Be My Baby” and “All I Want For Christmas,” though, probably because the vocal delivery was completely different. 

And yeah, I hate that Taylor’s music is so damn catchy, because I get annoyed at myself for even listening to her. She just comes across as the archetypal “mean girl” in high school. And you're absolutely right, she’s extremely passive-aggressive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Katy Perry has really nice boobs and I applaud her for being very involved in the creative process of her music because not many pop stars can say "I write the majority of my own music"..

Demi Lovato is one of the most talented vocalists of our time..

Halsey.. umm.. I guess same thing I said about Katy in terms of being involved in the creative process.. she pretty much writes everything..

I applaud Kylie Jenner for taking what her family started and turning it into something even 10 times bigger.. :mhmnod: 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LostInAnImage said:

I’ll help!  :pieceofwhat: Just name a celebrity you don’t like (doesn’t have to be an artist, just someone famous that rubs you the wrong way for whatever reason). Then we will figure out A) Why they irritate you, and B) what redeemable qualities they have.

The person I was thinking of was  Michael Buckley

If you don't know who he is just watch these videos you'll hate him too

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spongbob said:

The person I was thinking of was  Michael Buckley

If you don't know who he is just watch these videos you'll hate him too

 

 

Okay I only got through a couple parts of the first video, and then I couldn’t take anymore. It was misogynistic bullying, at best. And he is so damn hypocritical: “what kind of jerk comes out there in their underwear?” Umm dude, did you ever see her 2000/2001 VMA performances? She was showing just as much skin, and dancing just as (if not arguably far more) seductively, but it didn’t bother him/media/GP back then because she was “skinny” and therefore traditionally “hot.” But god forbid she puts on a few pounds after having two babies in two years, and now it’s suddenly unacceptable for her to show skin? Her entire career was essentially based on that premise!

And then he says he’s rooting for her but she needs help. Well, if you genuinely believe someone needs help, you aren't going to create two separate videos, totaling a cumulative 10 minutes, wherein you berate the troubled individual from every possible angle.

And honestly, I bet he was one of those attending the opening night of the Circus Tour cheering his lungs out, since people like him tend to be bandwagoners and are so desperate for attention and/or to fit in that they'll stan whatever/whoever happens to be trendy at the moment.

Umm okay, so something nice: he makes passable puns (e.g., “what the buck?”), and I genuinely enjoy puns for some reason. That’s all I got. :pieceofwhat:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, I Always Sing Live said:

I applaud Kylie Jenner for taking what her family started and turning it into something even 10 times bigger.. 

I assume you mean her nonexistent natural lips, which she proceeded to make 10x bigger? :pieceofwhat:

It's hard to blame her though, honestly. When your sister is a stunning VS supermodel and your half-sister is the most famous sexpot in the world, it would be incredibly difficult to finish going through puberty and realizing you were the unlucky one, phenotypically speaking. The main blame here lies squarely within the parents, who grossly exploited their underage daughter by allowing her to permanently change every part of her body prior to her even graduating high school. They set a horrible example, on so many levels.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LostInAnImage said:

Okay I only got through a couple parts of the first video, and then I couldn’t take anymore. It was misogynistic bullying, at best. And he is so damn hypocritical: “what kind of jerk comes out there in their underwear?” Umm dude, did you ever see her 2000/2001 VMA performances? She was showing just as much skin, and dancing just as (if not arguably far more) seductively, but it didn’t bother him/media/GP back then because she was “skinny” and therefore traditionally “hot.” But god forbid she puts on a few pounds after having two babies in two years, and now it’s suddenly unacceptable for her to show skin? Her entire career was essentially based on that premise!

And then he says he’s rooting for her but she needs help. Well, if you genuinely believe someone needs help, you aren't going to create two separate videos, totaling a cumulative 10 minutes, wherein you berate the troubled individual from every possible angle.

And honestly, I bet he was one of those attending the opening night of the Circus Tour cheering his lungs out, since people like him tend to be bandwagoners and are so desperate for attention and/or to fit in that they'll stan whatever/whoever happens to be trendy at the moment.

Umm okay, so something nice: he makes passable puns (e.g., “what the buck?”), and I genuinely enjoy puns for some reason. That’s all I got. :pieceofwhat:

I surprised you could come up with anything

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spongbob said:

The person I was thinking of was  Michael Buckley

If you don't know who he is just watch these videos you'll hate him too

 

 

I hate all of this, I can't see a positive here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LostInAnImage said:

I honestly don’t know enough about Beyoncé to decide if there is any veracity regarding her unscrupulous practices, but have heard the claim repeatedly. Not personally a fan but can’t deny she is probably the hardest working woman in the music industry today.

As far as your other two: I totally agree with everything you said. MC has (or used to have, at least) the capacity for such amazing sustained belts and unbelievable whistle notes, but then spent at least half of her songs doing this whiny, half-talking breathy thing (e.g., “Through The Rain.”) It seriously drove me crazy. I do love a few songs like “Always Be My Baby” and “All I Want For Christmas,” though, probably because the vocal delivery was completely different. 

And yeah, I hate that Taylor’s music is so damn catchy, because I get annoyed at myself for even listening to her. She just comes across as the archetypal “mean girl” in high school. And you're absolutely right, she’s extremely passive-aggressive. 

 

Beyonce's stealing ways:  She took samples from unknown artists on youtube, manipulated the voice (Drunk in love), and doesn't give them a cent. The lemonade trailer was obviously a rip off from some random unknown short film on youtube known as Palinoia.  She used the recording of some dead rapper in her Formation video.  But for some reasons, none of this became controversial as she always win the lawsuits.   

She copied the arrangement of Crazy In Love from some random youtuber and put it on the 50 Shades of grey soundtrack. The cover artist didn't sue her. But it's her song so it's like whatever, but she still stole an arrangement from someone without permission or crediting them :mcorangu:

Cheating ways: She changed one or two words example adding oh and yeahs to a song and get songwriting credits for it :mcorangu: Some artists like Britney/Kelly clarkson added WHOLE paragraphs and don't claim credit because they have dignity, but not Beyonce. There was one time she was nominated at Grammy's for Sound Engineer category... and we all know there's no way she specialize in that sh!t. 

People let her do this because she's powerful...  and like they know that if they wrong Beyonce, her wasphive will come after them and their career is over. 

 

I randomly wrote on an xtina video, "It's a good thing xtina doesn't have good technique otherwise she will become boring and 1dimensional like beyonce"...  and the wasphive immediately came after me...  it was a reply to someone else saying "if xtina developed good techniques she would be out of this world".  and it's not even a beyonce video. 

The wasphives are everywhere.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2018 at 7:50 PM, LostInAnImage said:

I assume you mean her nonexistent natural lips, which she proceeded to make 10x bigger? :pieceofwhat:

It's hard to blame her though, honestly. When your sister is a stunning VS supermodel and your half-sister is the most famous sexpot in the world, it would be incredibly difficult to finish going through puberty and realizing you were the unlucky one, phenotypically speaking. The main blame here lies squarely within the parents, who grossly exploited their underage daughter by allowing her to permanently change every part of her body prior to her even graduating high school. They set a horrible example, on so many levels.

well, when people make remarks such as "nonexistent lips" i think the wounds start to go beyond negligent parenting. we cannot blame parents for every lonely little qualm individuals carry out whether they are 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, etc. ultimately free will above all, including parents sovereign. sure she must have needed parental consent, but would people still hold her parents accountable if she got it done as an adult? yes, they do that when it comes to the older girls' decisions all the time. so there is no stopping the blame game it seems

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, cheri said:

well, when people make remarks such as "nonexistent lips" i think the wounds start to go beyond negligent parenting. we cannot blame parents for every lonely little qualm individuals carry out whether they are 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, etc. ultimately free will above all, including parents sovereign. sure she must have needed parental consent, but would people still hold her parents accountable if she got it done as an adult? yes, they do that when it comes to the older girls' decisions all the time. so there is no stopping the blame game it seems

Fair enough and point taken. Although I was making a joke, I concede making a joke at anyone’s expense is not okay. For my own part, I’ll try to be more cognizant about what I say and who it could impact. :mhm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Kardashians have fit bodies. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JLo has pretty face and She invented google image search machine.
There U have 2, I'm generous soul. She also had very successful clothing line.
Her performance style still is not what I like and I don't care about her work ethic and other nonsens like that, cuz I'ma into unspeakable delight and She has none tools for that. :NYsassy:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Katy Perry - I liked her album OOTB when I was 14 but not anymore. That‘s it :embarrassney:

Demi Lovato - I can‘t stand her or her speaking voice because she sounds like a frog or something (nah, frogs sound cuter) but her tone when she is singing is really beautiful. I also like a few songs off her first record but nothing recent. Her music sounds like what try hard scene girls with no identidy would sound like if they tried to sing.

Selena Gomez - Can‘t sing, dance nor has stage presence. I think no one truly knows why that biatch is a singer. But I liked her show the wizards of something when I was 12.

Beyoncé - I think as a person she is the biggest bore ever and not that beautiful. I‘m also not impressed with her so-called dancing but she has a voice that slays. 

Miley Cyrus - Disgusting voice tone, which is a shame because she can kind of sing. I liked how she looked during her yoga phase :selena:

There are more but can‘t be bothered atm. I might continue this list later :sipney:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Christina Aguilera - I guess she has a nice head voice. And I respect that she writes most of her songs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Justin Bieber seems to be redeeming himself in recent years and seems apologetic for his foolish behaviour in the past. I think taking a step back from the spotlight is doing him wonders. 

Katy Perry is very pretty but the short blonde hair does not suit her. I would like to see her with long hair again (either blonde or brunette/black). I also thought one of the nicest things she did was surprise one of her fans on Ellen who was a survivor of the Orlando shooting and offer to pay for his university loans (?). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wendy sure knows how to get ha coins

Spoiler

:wendycry:

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×