Sign in to follow this  
rik

Was Blackout Supposed to be More Organic Sounding?

I'm not sure if I worded what I mean properly. I know everyone, including myself, is very defensive of Blackout, and holds its work in high regard. I agree that it is the strongest and most consistent effort of Britney's catalogue. I just have a few questions/comments that I think would welcome some interesting discussion. 

I've obviously heard the unreleased rough cuts and demos, "Untitled Lullaby (Baby Boy)", "State of Grace", "Let Go", Kiss You All Over", "Sugarfall", "All That She Wants", etc. Without getting into Original Doll, as Michelle Bell I think even said that the album was never a finished concept, the overall sound and lyrical content of these songs suggests that Blackout may have had a slightly different vibe during its initial stages. I think Doug Elkins , who produced and later leaked "Red Hot Lipstick" (which I'm not the biggest fan of), claimed that the original incarnation of Blackout submitted to the label was filled with completely different songs. The demos' production, which may just sound different from Blackout because they are low-fi and unfinished, sound much more organic when compared to the official album tracks. 

This isn't to take away from the greatness that is Blackout, as I do believe Britney had a big hand in its creative process,  I'm just wondering what you guys think. I know that Keri and Danja both stated that Britney had a rule to which she wanted to stay away from lyrical topics that mirrored her life at the time. The demos (which I'd assume were recorded before certain Blackout sessions) seem to go against this rule. I could just be speculating though. Perhaps her personal life altered things?

Additionally, how do you think the GP would react if these demos were mastered and released as a second disc that was part of Blackout? Would the body receive the same reception/hold up to its status till today? Would the public have found some newly found respect for her at the time?

Thoughts... 

Well she did say in interviews she missed just singing and would be focusing on her voice but she seemed to find what direction she wanted to take it when she started the Danja/JR sessions in summer 2006

Nope. I don't think so. Heaven On Earth was one of the first songs (if not the 1st) to be done when she was still pregnat in 2006 so no, it sounds nothing like organic, however some songs do feature some organic elements like Ooh ooh Babby and Hot As Ice IMO. :beynah:

She also recorded Gimme More when she was pregnant with Jayden. I think she went with it at the time and scrapped the stuff, she worked on before the Recording Sessions with Danja etc. started.

39 minutes ago, Million Billion said:

Nope. I don't think so. Heaven On Earth was one of the first songs (if not the 1st) to be done when she was still pregnat in 2006 so no, it sounds nothing like organic, however some songs do feature some organic elements like Ooh ooh Babby and Hot As Ice IMO. :beynah:

You see, I was kind of thinking about this too. The thing that I'm really wondering though, is whether or not things that were publicized in her personal life at the time perhaps led to the creation of this 'no songs about her life' rule.

I also wonder whether she still has this rule for songs that she doesn't co-write. 

The album was originally going to be called Original Doll and was going to have songs like Mona Lisa but then she got songs from Danja and B&A and the album went in another direction and turned into Blackout. So - yes, it wasn't going to be the club/party/dance album it became. It was going to be more organic and creative.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BOBIBCFBG said:

The album was originally going to be called Original Doll and was going to have songs like Mona Lisa but then she got songs from Danja and B&A and the album went in another direction and turned into Blackout. So - yes, it wasn't going to be the club/party/dance album it became. It was going to be more organic and creative.

While I do believe part of this, Michelle Bell (who leaked 'Take Off', and other songs we generally associate with Original Doll) said that the album was never solidified as a concept. I also think that Britney's ideas for Original Doll was completely scrapped before 2006 (which is when Blackout sessions began). Regardless, when you hear the leaks from earlier BO sessions there is definitely a little contrast from what was put out in the end.

Imagine if she did a double release back then (with all being well in personal life) of original doll/blackout :wontcry: like an album with two discs that were the club dance/raw sides of her

I'm so in love with the unreleased Blackout (or OD) tracks

Let Go, Baby Boy, Sugarfall, State of Grace, Rebellion, Dramatic, What You Sippin' On, Kiss You All Over (I probably missed a few good ones) are all so hauntingly beautiful. My most favourite Britney songs. They have such strong vibes, mostly really dark vibes and yeah I think one of the reasons Britney left them out of Blackout that they were really personal.

I think with the right amount of promo, I mean if few of the mentioned songs would be singles, the GP would appreciate her songwritings skills and overall talent more

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, rik said:

While I do believe part of this, Michelle Bell (who leaked 'Take Off', and other songs we generally associate with Original Doll) said that the album was never solidified as a concept. I also think that Britney's ideas for Original Doll was completely scrapped before 2006 (which is when Blackout sessions began). Regardless, when you hear the leaks from earlier BO sessions there is definitely a little contrast from what was put out in the end.

She started recording the 5th album in 2004 and it was going in a more organic direction with songs like Mona Lisa. She said the (working) title was Original Doll in Dec 2004. She kept working on the 5th album and around 2006 she started working with Danja and B&A which completely changed the whole direction of the album. There was never a shelved or scrapped album, it just evolved into Blackout.

Yes. It’s funny because I feel like fans ignore this fact and make her other album processes seem so bad to put Blackout on a pedestal, when it’s indeed another final product that was nothing like intended and scrapped most of the songs where Britney was TRULY invested, represented and involved, not just showing up in the studio to add her vocals.

That’s why I’ve never understood why fans are so attached and under the impression that it’s Britney’s magnum opus when Keri, Danja and others have stated that Britney just showed up, barely recorded and left. Like it’s a great project, but come on. 

1 hour ago, ITZFFGL said:

Yes. It’s funny because I feel like fans ignore this fact and make her other album processes seem so bad to put Blackout on a pedestal, when it’s indeed another final product that was nothing like intended and scrapped most of the songs where Britney was TRULY invested, represented and involved, not just showing up in the studio to add her vocals.

That’s why I’ve never understood why fans are so attached and under the impression that it’s Britney’s magnum opus when Keri, Danja and others have stated that Britney just showed up, barely recorded and left. Like it’s a great project, but come on. 

okay im literally so high right now but i do understand what u mean 

i kinda had that thought too. like her personal life might be a good chunk of blackout's legacy... idk

i still believe she was involved but it is true that if she had no restrictions it would have been a different album

15 hours ago, rik said:

okay im literally so high right now but i do understand what u mean 

i kinda had that thought too. like her personal life might be a good chunk of blackout's legacy... idk

i still believe she was involved but it is true that if she had no restrictions it would have been a different album

Her personal life IS Blackout’s legacy. She was a complete mess and the album is a shallow, repetitive party record so it’s seen as “relevant” and “personal” when they literally made it as impersonal as possible. It’s always been more of an accomplishment that she managed to put an album together at all in the midst of her life; the entire time period is glamorized in a disgusting way. It’s the only album where we know FOR A FACT from everyone involved in the recording process that she barely did anything, but somehow it slides by in criticisms of post-ITZ Britney. 

28 minutes ago, ITZFFGL said:

Her personal life IS Blackout’s legacy. She was a complete mess and the album is a shallow, repetitive party record so it’s seen as “relevant” and “personal” when they literally made it as impersonal as possible. It’s always been more of an accomplishment that she managed to put an album together at all in the midst of her life; the entire time period is glamorized in a disgusting way. It’s the only album where we know FOR A FACT from everyone involved in the recording process that she barely did anything, but somehow it slides by in criticisms of post-ITZ Britney. 

I mean I'm definitely not going to trash Blackout, as Danja has also said that she really did have a hand in explaining what sort of sound she was going for (I think around 2013/early 2014 during the BJ era). I do think a huge part of the legacy is the fact that she managed to put a record together but I also don't think it takes away from the quality of music that was create and how unintentionally dark it sounds. While she may not have had a hand in writing, I do think bits and pieces of her went into it. She also seemed way more excited to talk about Blackout, in comparison to Circus during 2008/09.

17 hours ago, BOBIBCFBG said:

She started recording the 5th album in 2004 and it was going in a more organic direction with songs like Mona Lisa. She said the (working) title was Original Doll in Dec 2004. She kept working on the 5th album and around 2006 she started working with Danja and B&A which completely changed the whole direction of the album. There was never a shelved or scrapped album, it just evolved into Blackout.

Hmm... I think I just separate her 2004 ish sessions from her 2006 sessions as projects. It's a cool thought though! 

Iirc, For My Sister/Just Yesterday/Little Me (Britney posted a snippet of the song on her website in early 2006 but the full thing has never leaked) was believed to be recorded for the album and that is a more acoustic/folkish song and nothing like the rest of the later material recorded for the album. But I think Britney also recorded Everybody around the same time, and that ended up being on the final album. I think Britney may have been experimenting with a lot of different styles at that time and finding what suited her best for the album. 

19 hours ago, I'mNotTheAverageLady said:

I'm so in love with the unreleased Blackout (or OD) tracks

Let Go, Baby Boy, Sugarfall, State of Grace, Rebellion, Dramatic, What You Sippin' On, Kiss You All Over (I probably missed a few good ones) are all so hauntingly beautiful. My most favourite Britney songs. They have such strong vibes, mostly really dark vibes and yeah I think one of the reasons Britney left them out of Blackout that they were really personal.

I think with the right amount of promo, I mean if few of the mentioned songs would be singles, the GP would appreciate her songwritings skills and overall talent more

And there's also 911, All That She Wants, Just Let Me Go, Pull Out and Red Hot Lipstick. Welcome To Me might be a Blackout outtake too but I'm not sure. So many good songs, also To Love Let Go is one of her best ballads vocally and it's a shame it went unreleased. I agree about the personal aspect of the songs, Britney was actually the executive producer of the album so she probably had a hand in deciding what songs made it on eventually. 

• Upvote 1

Never question the Holy Bible that is Blackout.. however 911 should have been a single :P or at least on the album.

I think early 2006 there was a more organic vibe to the album, but then she worked with Danja and started a fresh. We should have got a two-disc special ;)

38 minutes ago, Isla. said:

And there's also 911, All That She Wants, Just Let Me Go, Pull Out and Red Hot Lipstick. Welcome To Me might be a Blackout outtake too but I'm not sure. So many good songs, also To Love Let Go is one of her best ballads vocally and it's a shame it went unreleased. I agree about the personal aspect of the songs, Britney was actually the executive producer of the album so she probably had a hand in deciding what songs made it on eventually. 

I heard that Welcome To Me was supposed to be an ITZ song! Also love every single one of those songs.

8 minutes ago, BritneyRebellion said:

Never question the Holy Bible that is Blackout.. however 911 should have been a single :P or at least on the album.

I think early 2006 there was a more organic vibe to the album, but then she worked with Danja and started a fresh. We should have got a two-disc special ;)

911..... a classic on my Itunes library haha! I agree, and would have died if a two disc was released.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Isla. said:

Yesss these are also great

And Britney's poem The Remembrance of Who I Am which she had posted on her website and put it in All That She Wants is probably the most personal and raw material we have ever gotten from her. I feel like it's a special song to her, she even mentioned in Carpool. So I'm somewhat suprised and curious why she didn't put it on BO like in the place of WSIBS (the reason is probably the mentioned personal feelings)

Btw is Rockstar an unreleased Blackout track too?

• Upvote 1