breatheheavy

Justin Timberlake's Super Bowl Halftime Show Was Nostalgic, Triumphant, But Predictable

Justin Timberlake performed his biggest hits (and a Prince tribute) at the Super Bowl.

Justin Timberlake performed his biggest hits (and a Prince tribute) at the Super Bowl.

Before JT's Super Bowl Halftime Show aired, blogs all over the Internet wrote countless stories about how the singer's white privilege has taken him to stratospheric heights of superstardom. His new album, Man of the Woods, wasn't well received (though it's on track to debut at No. 1 with pretty astounding figures) and his outdoorsy esthetic of the record confused most of us. Internet takedown culture had decided Justin is no longer relevant and his Super Bowl performance had real potential to fail. Fortunately, he didn't give the naysayers much to work with.

Timberlake ran through most of his most influential and timeless hits over five solo studio albums (there was no *NSYNC tribute which I'm not happy about). He kicked things off with an underground dance party to his new lead single, "Filthy," then catapulted into some oldies but goodies, including "Rock Your Body" (it's worth mentioning he skipped the infamous Janet line and that was questionable), "Senorita," FutureSex LoveSounds banger "SexyBack," ""My Love" and arguably his biggest hit ever, "Cry Me A River."

It wouldn't be a JT show with a massive dance break, which preceded "Suit & Tie" and "Until The End of Time."

There were reports that Justin would NOT perform with a Prince hologram, which wasn't entirely accurate. A huge projection of the late singer flashed on a massive curtain with the surrounding areas of the city lighting up in purple. If JT ignored Prince in Minneapolis, there would have been an even bigger meltdown - this wasn't a battle Timberlake could win. My opinion, it was a smart move to include Prince.

"Paying tribute to Prince was something JT highlighted as an important moment for this show, and we spent quite a bit of time ensuring this moment would be true to his legacy," said the performance's creative lead, Nick Whitehouse, to Rolling Stone. "Ultimately, Justin decided that the only person who could do Prince justice is Prince."

He rounded out the show with "Mirrors" and the warm and fuzzy Trolls soundtrack song, "Can't Stop The Feeling."

My final thoughts? He looked confident, sounded solid and gave viewers an escape for 13-minutes with a funky walk down memory lane. Will it become one of the most memorable Halftime Shows down the line? Absolutely not, and that's OK right now. After causing such a ruckus in 2004 for his wardrobe malfunction, the singer was probably not inclined to make such an impression. There's no denying it though – JT got the job done.

Watch below (or on YouTube):

Thoughts on JT's Super Bowl performance? Leave a comment below!

And while you're at it... follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram.

Justin is being dragged all around the world :kyliecry: people didn't like the show :kyliecry:

It's pretty dreadful. I have to take back my comment he danced better than Britney. He was barely in sync with his dancer... clearly not rehearsing enough. This is only similar to Britney's BBMA performance, not SuperBowl worthy. I don't like Gaga, but Gaga definitely gave a more iconic performance

It was fine. It was ok. It was entertaining. But nothing interesting happened. I mean this is the Super Bowl, the budgets are ridiculously high, and this reminded me of a medley he would do at an award show or something. Not memorable. And don't get me started on his wolf outfit :tiffcackle:

• Upvote 2

I feel like as Britney fans we have no right to drag peoples performances or vocals. Especially if the performance was better than anything Britney has done since 2004.

• Upvote 3

Can’t Stop the Feeling makes me want to comit a homocide. And the outfit was utter s--t and nothing about it was iconic. He really needed some special guests or an NYSNC reunion to make it more memorable. But maybe they didn’t want special guests after last time:urite:

I saw people talking about his dancing being off, but it wasn't bad? I'm not judging that area. I also saw a lot saying he sounds bad when I think he sounds all right. I like the layout of the stage and how he got to it, small as it might be. I like the Tennessee Kids, too. That outfit's a choice, but whatever. I think Tennessee Kids were the true stars of the SB, because that is some nice fretting/string work/etc. And I like the orchestra.

I still stand by the Prince bit being a gimmick. And I get it, but it's a risky move, and I don't know if it paid off if the majority didn't like it. I will give it to the production crew in charge of the lighting for lighting his symbol up like that all around the stadium.

Production values are good.

And that kid was effin hilarious. :hahaha: (Edit: Really, Jordan? Effin? Why not f**king?) Overall.... meh. It wasn't bad-- he would have given this same performance five years ago, and people would have ate it up. The reason they're saying it's bad now is because it's fun to hate JT, which is why I wanted to ignore everyone else before I could see it in full.

It was too boring.. only breakdown after Cry Me River was great.. And he brought actual mirrors for 'Mirrors'

tumblr_n9ydtt6jvy1sp0gvao3_r1_500.gif

A Prince tribute? The same Prince he dissed on his Timbaland song when Prince was alive? #JanetJacksonAppreciationDay 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, CristMont said:

Justin is being dragged all around the world :kyliecry: people didn't like the show :kyliecry:

All around the world, petty tweets
Wipe the floor with JT memes
Pour the drinks, bring the drags 
We're just so petty!
All around the world, petty tweets
Jump the post, to the front
Click what we like, drag what we want
We're just so petty!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Dark.Knight said:

All around the world, petty tweets
Wipe the floor with JT memes