DignifiedLove

The 2000s Belonged to Britney as the 2010s Belong to...?

I'd say Rihanna is number 1, I just think she's the most consistent and she is influential as well. Huge hit maker. Her greatest hits record will be one of the best. 

Adele second because her sales eclipse everyone else's. She effortlessly shat on Britney's first week records that Taylor Swift desperately tried to break. She marched our girls debut album sales that we brag about. That's amazing for these days.

Then Lady Gaga, she was very influential, in a fad way but everyone turned outrageous in their image. Rhianna did quirky and that caught on but Gaga took that at turned it up to 10 but she was short lived so... 

Then Beyonce, yes she took credit for inventing the surprise visual album thing although Bowie slayed with it not long before, but she did it and it worked and it slayed and really revived her stale at the time by her standards career. The pop world went insane, and she did it again with Lemonade and getting in on the social injustices at the time. She made a huge mark on pop culture, love her or hate her. 

call me a "brit-tard" but there really hasnt been anyone since britney that i can think of that dominated how she did. not just saying this because britney was amazing, but just the landscape of the music industry back in the 00s was ripe for someone like her to just overtake everything. she was everywhere, she dominated the charts, had people talking non-stop. with the illegal downloading of music, the availability of performances/videos online everywhere you look, theres a lot less suspense and buzz around these things. its a lot harder to stay relevant and top of mind these days. sure, artists have been very popular since the height of her career, but theres not really one single artist that has claimed the decade so far. rihanna has been pretty consistent, Gaga had a couple years, katy, taylor, beyonce pops up here and there, but i really dont see any of them claiming the decade.

5 hours ago, Itachi said:

:uknowit:

wasn't it HDL was also one of the biggest selling songs of last decade. and saying that she's a one hit wonder is a :wyd:. Laundry Service had big hits, not #1 in the US, but they were still big.

True. HDL was the biggest song of 2006 WW and spent 16 weeks at #1 in the WW chart (a record at the time, beating Madonna's Hung Up). Whenever Wherever was the biggest song of 2002 WW and UYC was the 6th biggest. Laundry Service sold over 3 million in the US (over 16 million album equivalents WW), so clearly she is NOT a one hit wonder. Waka Waka was huge back in the day (Platinum in the US where it wasn't as big), still gets over 1M views on YT daily and it's become the AIWFC of the World Cup. La Tortura was the 5th biggest song of 2005 WW and was the first spanish song performed at the VMAs. She Wolf (song) was #2 WW (#21 on year-end) and has sold over 1 812 000 units in the US. SES has old almost 4 million album equivalents without US support or being released in the UK. She's a streaimg force and the biggest latina singer. So, @Miguel Alencar, she is NOT a one-hit wonder by any mean.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Pedro Dantas said:

True. HDL was the biggest song of 2006 WW and spent 16 weeks at #1 in the WW chart (a record at the time, beating Madonna's Hung Up). Whenever Wherever was the biggest song of 2002 WW and UYC was the 6th biggest. Laundry Service sold over 3 million in the US (over 16 million album equivalents WW), so clearly she is NOT a one hit wonder. Waka Waka was huge back in the day (Platinum in the US where it wasn't as big), still gets over 1M views on YT daily and it's become the AIWFC of the World Cup. La Tortura was the 5th biggest song of 2005 WW and was the first spanish song performed at the VMAs. She Wolf (song) was #2 WW (#21 on year-end) and has sold over 1 812 000 units in the US. SES has old almost 4 million album equivalents without US support or being released in the UK. She's a streaimg force and the biggest latina singer. So, @Miguel Alencar, she is NOT a one-hit wonder by any mean.

omg i'm living for all these teas served. educate ha!

Resulta ng larawan para sa christina aguilera preach gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pedro Dantas said:

Sorry but Shakira is just a complexed indigenous that is a one hit wonder in the states, and nowadays she's on the same level as Thalia success-wise. 

9 hours ago, Style. said:

Whoever say Beyonce is a global superstar just because of the Lemonade Tour being sold out, is delusional! One sold out tour doesn't mean sh!t, she is pretty non existent in the Europe and Single Ladies ain't praised as it is in the USA. People on here doesn't care about shaking ass or hard choreo. Also, her latest hit was? Drunk In Love? I would say moderate hit, 'cause Work Bitch was that too yet Britney is still considered irelevant! Poor Beyonce, with all the gimmicks she can't be an undisputed #1! :tiffcackle: The same we can say about Taylor, girl is local but she's the main bitch in the USA! 

In conclusion, Britney was the last impactful bitch!Case Closed! Beyonce is sh!t next to what Britney was back in the day! 

It's the Formation World Tour hun, and I used it to give an example on how Beyonce shouldn't be classified as a local act. It reached Europe and sold out all of its dates, and looking at her previous tours as well they had big attendances too outside of the US. Tours are just a factor in determining an artist's stardom, as well as chart success and sales. I obviously can't speak for you because that's how you perceive her there in Europe, and even perception is a subjective thing. But to discredit her with her achievements thus far, I think that's also a delusion.

Just now, Miguel Alencar said:

Sorry but Shakira is just a complexed indigenous that is a one hit wonder in the states, and nowadays she's on the same level as Thalia success-wise. 

How can she be a one-hit wonder if her biggest era in the US (LS) doesn't even include HDL. WW, UYC and SW were also hits. So how does that work? :tiffcackle: And let's compare Thalia to Shakira:

Hot Latin Songs Chart:

• La Bicicleta - #2
  • Chantaje - #1
  • Me Enamoré - #4

vs.

• Desde Esa Noche - #16
  • Vuelveme a Querer - #20
  • Todavia te Quero - didn't chart

Cna Thalia even chart in any European country that isn't Spain? :tiffcackle:

Awnser me this question bitch:

"How is Shakira a one hit wonder in the States if WW and UYC were huge hits and LS sold over 3 million there?" :whitney: And provide actual receipts, instead of just saying sh!t like "complexed indigenous", like that's actually relevant to our discussion.

38 minutes ago, Mariah Elusive Carey said:

Overall the 2010s belongs to Rihanna and Taylor Swift. These two are immune to flopping :umomg: 

I'm afraid so. :waitwhat: Even Rih's "flop" eras come with a #1 single and a Top 10 hit. :riri:

15 hours ago, ShowdownITZ said:

I heard Rihanna is more global than Beyonce but I think Beyonce is a bigger icon than her, Rihanna has iconic hits but she doesn't have a Single Ladies :mattafact:

Umbrella which reached number one in more countries says hi, so does We Found Love.

sometimes I feel you guys use the word "global" only to describe USA and Europe :outwithit:

I live in Asia and Rihanna is way more popular here than Beyoncé. 

• Upvote 1

2007- Riri

2008-Gaga *edit* Riri,Brit,Bey were bigger

2009-Gaga

2010-Riri,Gaga

2011- Adele >>>>Gaga/Riri

2012-Lana , Taylor

2013-Miley

December 2013- Beyonce

2014- first few months - Beyonce

2014-last few months - Taylor

2015-Taylor

2015- Adele when she released 25

2016- Adele>>>>bey,riri

2017-Taylor

:chershade:

1 minute ago, STARTWINK said:

2008-Gaga

But she only blew up in early 2009. She was a non-event during most of 2008.

1 minute ago, Pedro Dantas said:

But she only blew up in early 2009. She was a non-event during most of 2008.

She blew up with Poker Face(mid or late 2008) :chershade:

6 minutes ago, STARTWINK said:

She blew up with Poker Face(mid or late 2008) :chershade:

"Poker Face" and "Just Dance" by the pop singer Lady Gaga were both released in 2008 but did not become popular hits until the following year. Link.

5 minutes ago, Pedro Dantas said:

They reach it's peak in 2009 (songs) Lady Gaga blew up by the end of 2008, Just dance and Poker face were entering top 5s and top 10s worldwide by that time.Everyone was talking about her BUT I do think I made a mistake, 2008 wasn't her year 

2008 was more of Rihanna,Britney,Bey ,Gaga 

53 minutes ago, Ryan Godspeed said:

sometimes I feel you guys use the word "global" only to describe USA and Europe :outwithit:

I live in Asia and Rihanna is way more popular here than Beyoncé. 

IA with this so much lol. People here listen to more Rihanna than Beyonce, listen to only Shakira past hits (Waka waka, hips don't lie, whenever), and nothing else of Shakira. Though in my country people wont move on and still listen to 10 year old songs smh....

Im still surprised Glory charted at #2 in its debut week, and maintained a top 10 for like a week or two....India doesn't have an official albums chart, im referring to iTunes (which tbh most people in India don't use, so I guess that still counts)

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:

It's not just about album sales but overall impact. I'm sorry but Beyonce, RIhanna, and Gaga blow Adele out of the water when it come to overall impact.

Norah Jones had the best-selling album for a female artist last decade yet left hardly of an impact and isn't even remembered today. 

Well your thread was about music specifically, so that's why I'm saying Adele blows everyone out of the water. Nobody comes close to her in terms of sales. Plus Adele isn't a one album wonder.

Gaga hasn't had impact since 2011. She barely has more impact than Britney has right now.

Beyonce's impact is more localized to western countries, whereas Rihanna and Adele have far more international power.

6 minutes ago, I am Max. said:

The shade LOL 

Shade wasn’t intended. Skimmed the OP