Sign in to follow this  
TommyExhale

JLo's "Ain't Your Mama": BH Review

She ain't your mama, but she's gunning for a comeback.

jlo-aint-your-mama-review

Is JLo ready for a career renaissance?

It seems like no other pop star has had to make as many comebacks as Jennifer Lopez, who debuted her latest single effort on the American Idol series finale Thursday night. While “Ain’t Your Mama” doesn’t have enough oomph to revitalize her career the same way “On the Floor” did in 2011, it’s a welcomed reminder that JLo has been a consistent hitmaker for nearly two decades.

“Ain’t Your Mama” checks all the right boxes we've come to expect from JLo: a peppy dance beat, a zesty Latin flare, and a sassy narrative. On the song, she laments that her lover has gotten “too comfortable,” proclaiming “I ain’t gonna be cooking all day, I ain’t your mama / I ain’t gonna do your laundry, I ain’t your mama.”

With its urban influences, the power anthem has shades of Fifth Harmony, so it should come as no surprise that it was written by Meghan Trainor, who penned several tracks on the girl group’s debut album. Trainor’s influence over “Ain’t Your Mama” is ever present, from the pseudo-feminist theme to her backing vocals that bleed into JLo’s on the chorus. Still, Lopez keeps control of the song. She sounds better than ever here, as she's finally abandoned her lofty vocal ambitions and is using her reedy voice to her advantage.

The dark cloud surrounding JLo’s return to the music scene, of course, is the fact that the song was co-written and produced by accused rapist Dr. Luke. If you’re able to separate the man from the music, “Ain’t Your Mama” is an enjoyable, breezy springtime jam. Otherwise, it can be a little unnerving to listen to a woman assert her independence and demand respect knowing that Dr. Luke is cashing a royalty check every time you do. Listen below and make your final verdict.

Thoughts? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram.

• Downvote 1

Jlo needs a make over. Hardcore. Everything she does is predictable at this point. The most surprising attribute to this song is the absence of Pitbull. 

25 minutes ago, TommyExhale said:

it’s a welcomed reminder that JLo has been a consistent hitmaker for nearly two decades.

oxymoron. how can you say she has so many comebacks and that this song doesnt have enough oomph then call her a hitmaker for two decades. 

1 hour ago, TommyExhale said:

it’s a welcomed reminder that JLo has been a consistent hitmaker for nearly two decades.

This is not even true :beynah:

OMG can we fucking stop with the articles about that Flop ass already ??? :Sippinga:

1 hour ago, TommyExhale said:

Girl, April's fool was last week :zoomzoom:

I applaud her work ethic and performing/dancing but she's gotten so basic over the years that she's almost invisible.

back when she came out musically, her and Britney, Xtina, P!nk all had their own identity and sound. Xtina was the vocalist diva, p!nk had vocals and edge, Britney was the girl next door who could dancer her ass off, and JLO was Jenny from the block.

even up to Get Right and some stuff on LOVE? She had that JLO spark that made her music enjoyable but now she's just trying her darndest for a hit and it shows

16 hours ago, Arnold. said:

The most surprising attribute to this song is the absence of Pitbull. 

omg yes. YES! 

Dont hate on JLo shes 45(?) and still relevant. :bsass: I dont like this new song much though...Loll maybe it'll grow on me. She probably has the best vegas show out there overall.

On April 8, 2016 at 5:45 PM, Arnold. said:

Jlo needs a make over. Hardcore. Everything she does is predictable at this point. The most surprising attribute to this song is the absence of Pitbull. 

THIS

Practically every song she's released since 2012 has sounded the same (even though I could bop to the underrated First Love). She needs to release something different and fresh. The reason why she's been flopping is because all her sh!t sounds the same, so no one is interested.

Guest Brichney.

Awful track by an awful artist.

So Megan Trainur wrote this, huh :bey:.... I don't like it :bey: Megan was clever by not giving ha "No" which imo is a really cool and decent song I must confess :woopsie:

Jlo used to bring some amazing hits back in the day :beynah: At this point she has nothing to prove imo, but whenever I want to listen to her I listen to her good stuff: if you had my love, qué hiciste, waiting for tonight, let's get loud, love don't cost a thing... I mean, amazing songs :beynah:

it's crazy because i enjoy the song, but it's definitely subpar compared to Meghan and 5H's new singles.

Almost makes me wonder what would've happened had J. Lo gotten access to NO or even WFH first? I'm thinking she needs to work with Red One again because LOVE? is a great album. It's by far her best musical effort of her career imo :tbh: