Jump to content

GLAMOUR: Justin Timberlake faces backlash over the new Britney Spears doc, 'Framing Britney Spears'


Recommended Posts

Justin Timberlake Britney Spears

The New York Times documentary Framing Britney dropped on Hulu on February 5, and Justin Timberlake is already facing backlash over his past treatment of Britney Spears.

Although the documentary was meant to explore the #FreeBritney movement and her ongoing conservatorship, fans particularly latched on to a portion of the doc that re-examined her relationship with the former member of *NSYNC, which lasted from 1998 to 2002. After one of the most dramatic breakups in pop history, Spears' reputation took a massive hit. 

The film discusses how Timberlake pushed the narrative that Spears had cheated on him—and the public blowback was severe. “The way that people treated her, to be very high school about it, was like she was the school **** and he was the quarterback,” NYT critic at large Wesley Morris says in the film. 

Morris suggests Timberlake weaponized his music video for “Cry Me a River” to place blame on Spears. It's almost chilling to then hear Timberlake, the supposed victim, jeer about having *** with Spears in a raunchy post-breakup radio interview featured in the documentary.

“Justin Timberlake has done a lot of **** that he needs to apologize for, but his treatment of Britney is at the top of the list,” one Twitter user wrote. “I want a public apology, and acknowledgment of the harm he's done.”

It should be noted that in 2006—a full four years after their breakup—Timberlake released another potential diss track, “What Goes Around… Comes Around,” while Spears was publicly struggling with her second divorce and sobriety. 

Fans are also reflecting on the ways the pop star was treated throughout her career—from incessant questions from the press about her virginity and body to the misogynistic response to her breakup from Timberlake. 

The documentary highlights a 2003 interview with Diane Sawyer, where the broadcast journalist seemingly justified a quote from the former governor of Maryland's wife Kendel Ehrlich, stating she would shoot Britney Spears if she had an opportunity. “Oh, that's horrible. That's really bad,” Spears said in response to the quote. “Because of the example to kids and how hard it is to be a parent,” Sawyer counters. 

https://www.glamour.com/story/justin-timberlake-faces-backlash-over-the-new-britney-spears-doc-framing-britney

Spoiler

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

God, I can understand kids who weren't even alive back then, and people like myself who never followed pop culture when they were a kid, but what the hell is everyone else's excuse? They should've bee

Hes being dragged all over the internet there were other articles talking about this too.  Only his stupid fans that think he can do no wrong are defending him saying he was hurt and Taylor also

They're also dragging him for Janet as well, but nothing seems to be working.

16 minutes ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

God, I can understand kids who weren't even alive back then, and people like myself who never followed pop culture when they were a kid, but what the hell is everyone else's excuse? They should've been dragging him for decades.

 

They're also dragging him for Janet as well, but nothing seems to be working.

  • Love 7
  • Like 1
Link to post

Hes being dragged all over the internet :gimmemoar_britney_hat_more_gimme_giggle_haha_hehe_lol_2007_vmas_lmao: there were other articles talking about this too. 

Only his stupid fans that think he can do no wrong are defending him saying he was hurt and Taylor also did songs about her exes. I guess they are playing dumb. The biggest issue was never cry me a river (or the other songs he did about her hurting him), but the fact that he not only used a Britney lookalike on his video and implied many times she cheated on him even tho he said hed never be too specific about the break up, but he also bragged about sleeping with her a few times. He also called her a ***** (even tho he tried to deny afterwards when he got backlash) many times and shaded her over and over again for years! 

  • Love 7
  • Like 2
Link to post
20 minutes ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

God, I can understand kids who weren't even alive back then, and people like myself who never followed pop culture when they were a kid, but what the hell is everyone else's excuse? They should've been dragging him for decades.

 

3 minutes ago, YeezusChrist said:

 

They're also dragging him for Janet as well, but nothing seems to be working.

I'm gonna keep bringing this up but I want him dragged for what he did to Kylie as well :gagacrash_driving_run_hit_lady_sunglasses:

 

  • Love 1
  • Like 2
Link to post
44 minutes ago, Bundy said:

Hes being dragged all over the internet :gimmemoar_britney_hat_more_gimme_giggle_haha_hehe_lol_2007_vmas_lmao: there were other articles talking about this too. 

Only his stupid fans that think he can do no wrong are defending him saying he was hurt and Taylor also did songs about her exes. I guess they are playing dumb. The biggest issue was never cry me a river (or the other songs he did about her hurting him), but the fact that he not only used a Britney lookalike on his video and implied many times she cheated on him even tho he said hed never be too specific about the break up, but he alsp bragged about sleeping with her a few times. He also called her a ***** (even tho he tried to deny afterwards when he got backlash) many times and shaded her over and over again for years! 

OMG I’m reading the twitter comments now!!! Justin is getting a virtual *** whipping by Janet and Britney stans. Damn, it’s taken sooo long!! Diane Sawyer is trending too. We are sorry Britney is trending and 😥😥😥it’s painful to read through the comments but this is a much needed discussion so that nobody has to go through what Britney is experiencing!!💔💔 

  • Love 6
  • Like 1
Link to post

I mean .... 

let’s not forget Prince fans were salty about Justin’s super bowl performance. 
 

But seriously this sucks!! It should not have taken Me Too, Times Up, a voicemail left on a fan podcast, Framing Britney Spears documentary and thirteen years of her life under a conservatorship in which her father is in control to get people to take a fresh look at everything leading up to 2/2008 and the shadiness of the hybrid business model conservatorship scam. 


Maybe the newfound attention to this case will be a positive thing for Britney. JT shade aside. Get rid of Jamie as conservator. Investigate Lou Taylor. Put in place another form of care for Britney and remove the personal Cship that’ll restore Britney’s civil rights.

  • Like 8
Link to post

Only fans are backlashing him while media and celebrities (the ones who openly drag Britney for years and back then) are silent.. 

the article doesn’t make any conclusion. When it comes to drag Britney they always had an opinion or some “funny” things to say..

just saying.. 🥴

p.s. not try to be negative just want some sharp articles

p.s.s. Glad they do even this of course

  • Like 2
Link to post
3 minutes ago, generation glory said:

OMG I’m reading the twitter comments now!!! Justin is getting a virtual *** whipping by Janet and Britney stans. Damn, it’s taken sooo long!! Diane Sawyer is trending too. We are sorry Britney is trending and 😥😥😥it’s painful to read through the comments but this is a much needed discussion so that nobody has to go through what Britney is experiencing!!💔💔 

Yeah, Justin is facing major backlash as he should, only his stupid fans are defending him as they always do, they are one of the dumbest people Ive seen online tbh.

I know many of us wanted a doc that showed more about her cship, included more things and mentioned Lou and I get this could have been a docu series, but Im grateful for what Samantha Stark did either way. She knew exactly what she was doing, she wanted to humanize Britney, to people to see her in a different light, to not shame, to not blame her for the ****ty things that happened in her life. The doc was before anything very pro Britney even with Jamies lawyer there. She made people to finally show some empathy towards Britney, to see her as a human being and a woman that was pushed to this and then taken advantage of in every single way and form. It was enough to bring more attention to her situation. Ive seen so many dudes supporting Britney on twitter that it makes me wanna cry, knowing all these years she was shamed and **** shamed ALL the time. Samantha brought attention to things we fans have been saying for years! This doc was necessary and it did its job! Now instead of making jokes about Britneys meltdown, people are showing her love and support. Yes, its painful for us bc we knew the media were always against her since she was 16/17 and the thing only got worst as time went by, but Im still happy that finally people are treating Britney as a human being and a woman who faced so ******* ***ism since she was a teenager and people never cared, they even blamed her for being harassed, scrutinized and dragged for every thing she did. 

In 2007 at only 25 years old, with two babies, having post partum depression, going thru a divorce, an ugly child custody battle, not being supported by her own family, she was called an unfit mom ALL the time, even tho people hated Kevin and he partied a lot while she was pregnant with Jayden. Samantha defended her for how she acted bc Kevin didnt allow her to see her kids and paparazzi were harassing her and she showed on the doc just that. 

Tbh since Britney I dont think any other major celeb went thru so much **** like she did with men, family, media, paparazzi, u named it. All these people pushed her and then she was called crazy. Now so many years later people are finally waking up bc of the doc. 

  • Love 2
  • Like 5
Link to post
2 minutes ago, Bundy said:

Yeah, Justin is facing major backlash as he should, only his stupid fans are defending him as they always do, they are one of the dumbest people Ive seen online tbh.

I know many of us wanted a doc that showed more about her cship, included more things and mentioned Lou and I get this could have been a docu series, but Im grateful for what Samantha Stark did either way. She knew exactly what she was doing, she wanted to humanize Britney, to people to see her in a different light, to not shame, to not blame her for the ****ty things that happened in her life. The doc was before anything very pro Britney even with Jamies lawyer there. She made people to finally show some empathy towards Britney, to see her as a human being and a woman that was pushed to this and then taken advantage of in every single way and form. It was enough to bring more attention to her situation. Ive seen so many dudes supporting Britney on twitter that it makes me wanna cry, knowing all these years she was shamed and **** shamed ALL the time. Samantha brought attention to things we fans have been saying for years! This doc was necessary and it did its job! Now instead of making jokes about Britneys meltdown, people are showing her love and support. Yes, its painful for us bc we knew the media were always against her since she was 16/17 and the thing only got worst as time went by, but Im still happy that finally people are treating Britney as a human being and a woman who faced so ******* ***ism since she was a teenager and people never cared, they even blamed her for being harassed, scrutinized and dragged for every thing she did. 

In 2007 at only 25 years old, with two babies, having post partum depression, going thru a divorce, an ugly child custody battle, not being supported by her own family, she was called an unfit mom ALL the time, even tho people hated Kevin and he partied a lot while she was pregnant with Jayden. Samantha defended her for how she acted bc Kevin didnt allow her to see her kids and paparazzi were harassing her and she showed on the doc just that. 

Tbh since Britney I dont think any other major celeb went thru so much **** like she did with men, family, media, paparazzi, u named it. All these people pushed her and then she was called crazy. Now so many years later people are finally waking up bc of the doc. 

This is so true. Tbh I always side-eye people who say they "finally get Britney" when they have any minor inconvenience. No, you really don't. You have no idea what it would feel like. None of us do. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't have to feel empathy. Some people are so simple-minded it's crazy

  • Like 3
Link to post
3 minutes ago, Goten21 said:

This is so true. Tbh I always side-eye people who say they "finally get Britney" when they have any minor inconvenience. No, you really don't. You have no idea what it would feel like. None of us do. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't have to feel empathy. Some people are so simple-minded it's crazy

I completely agree. I mean, who else experienced that level of fame, scrutiny, criticism and ***ism only being a teenager? Not even other stars know exactly what Britney must have felt like. What they did to her was ******* disgusting! And people were always criticizing her and making jokes as if she wasnt a human being with feelings. Her family, Kevin, media and paparazzi are to blame for what happened to her, but shes the one without rights. Its so ******* unfair. Its crazy that we are getting emotional and being happy for Britney finally being treated as a human being, that people are finally showing her some respect and empathy after +22 years of being famous. 

  • Love 3
Link to post
5 minutes ago, Bundy said:

I completely agree. I mean, who else experienced that level of fame, scrutiny, criticism and ***ism only being a teenager? Not even other stars know exactly what Britney must have felt like. What they did to her was ******* disgusting! And people were always criticizing her and making jokes as if she wasnt a human being with feelings. Her family, Kevin, media and paparazzi are to blame for what happened to her, but shes the one without rights. Its so ******* unfair. Its crazy that we are getting emotional and being happy for Britney finally being treated as a human being, that people are finally showing her some respect and empathy after +22 years of being famous. 

yea man it's so fkn unfair. And to think that Britney stayed so incredibly humble and sweet throughout... She needed someone to stand up for her. A soldier. Not that weak toy soldier **** that kevin and justin were, and basically everyone in her life (but Fe) has been.

 

And that part about other celebrities is so true. I also hate how Britney gets grouped up with other child celebs and disney stars. It was not. the. same. The only one that would come anywhere near that realm is Justin Bieber

  • Love 2
Link to post
7 minutes ago, Forever222 said:

Justin is being dragggggged. This doco and the Super Bowl is a lethal combo. It’s literally a party on Twitter. :tiffcackle_Tiffany_miss_ny_New_York_pollard_laugh_giggle_lol_haha_hehe:

I wonder if Samantha is a JT hater and put the doc out around SB so hed be dragged by Janets fans and Black twitter as well :tifflmao_lol_haha_hehe_miss_new_york_laugh_ms_tiffany_pollard_cackle:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
28 minutes ago, Bundy said:

Yeah, Justin is facing major backlash as he should, only his stupid fans are defending him as they always do, they are one of the dumbest people Ive seen online tbh.

I know many of us wanted a doc that showed more about her cship, included more things and mentioned Lou and I get this could have been a docu series, but Im grateful for what Samantha Stark did either way. She knew exactly what she was doing, she wanted to humanize Britney, to people to see her in a different light, to not shame, to not blame her for the ****ty things that happened in her life. The doc was before anything very pro Britney even with Jamies lawyer there. She made people to finally show some empathy towards Britney, to see her as a human being and a woman that was pushed to this and then taken advantage of in every single way and form. It was enough to bring more attention to her situation. Ive seen so many dudes supporting Britney on twitter that it makes me wanna cry, knowing all these years she was shamed and **** shamed ALL the time. Samantha brought attention to things we fans have been saying for years! This doc was necessary and it did its job! Now instead of making jokes about Britneys meltdown, people are showing her love and support. Yes, its painful for us bc we knew the media were always against her since she was 16/17 and the thing only got worst as time went by, but Im still happy that finally people are treating Britney as a human being and a woman who faced so ******* ***ism since she was a teenager and people never cared, they even blamed her for being harassed, scrutinized and dragged for every thing she did. 

In 2007 at only 25 years old, with two babies, having post partum depression, going thru a divorce, an ugly child custody battle, not being supported by her own family, she was called an unfit mom ALL the time, even tho people hated Kevin and he partied a lot while she was pregnant with Jayden. Samantha defended her for how she acted bc Kevin didnt allow her to see her kids and paparazzi were harassing her and she showed on the doc just that. 

Tbh since Britney I dont think any other major celeb went thru so much **** like she did with men, family, media, paparazzi, u named it. All these people pushed her and then she was called crazy. Now so many years later people are finally waking up bc of the doc. 

I agree 100%!!!! This is the documentary that Britney needed!! And thankfully now the public is ready for it!! It just took so much time to get society to a point of empathy for her. There were topics I wish would’ve been touched on, as you said too. But Framing Britney Spears is brilliant!! I’m very happy people are more understanding of Britney’s situation from Star Search, MMC to today.

 

  • Love 2
Link to post
8 minutes ago, Goten21 said:

yea man it's so fkn unfair. And to think that Britney stayed so incredibly humble and sweet throughout... She needed someone to stand up for her. A soldier. Not that weak toy soldier **** that kevin and justin were, and basically everyone in her life (but Fe) has been.

 

And that part about other celebrities is so true. I also hate how Britney gets grouped up with other child celebs and disney stars. It was not. the. same. The only one that would come anywhere near that realm is Justin Bieber

She was too nice for the industry, I truly believe that, then people started talking **** when she started to change in 2002/2003, then 2004, then 2006-2008 and finally after the cship. 

Justin was an immature bitter pressed petty ex that wanted to get back at her and brag about her. Kevin was a ****ty hubby and then sided with her family to take the kids from her the minute she filed for divorce. She deserved so much better, I think her dating so many jerks have to do with her daddy issues as Lynne once mentioned. I wish she could have dated men that seemed nicer to her, even after the breakup like Justin Theroux is to Jennifer Aniston. And I wish she will have someone defending her someday no matter what happens! She deserves nothing but love and support, but the problems started with her own family; a stage mom who neglected her since she was 15 and an abusive dad that was never present and always thought about money. 

Id say that not even Justin came close to her peak/fame. She was a phenomenom and for being a girl, too nice and the biggest star at her time, she was way more harassed than him. People have always been obsessed with her, even If it was to criticize her. But I agree that hes the one that came closer to that type of fame, criticism and scrutiny. Lol Ive seen people on twitter saying Zendaya is the most successful person that came from Disney bc of an Emmy, these people are just delusional. 

  • Love 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block