Would you take your partner's surname if you got married?

Would you take your partner's surname or would you keep your own if you got married?

I know it is considered the 'norm' in hetero***ual relationships, but what is your stance on the topic if you were to get married?

5bafb6781f00002e01231330-2.jpeg.ea16d189498e42a0f3983374d952fb6a.jpeg

• Love 4

he used to sing me sweet melodies ♫

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My last name is Toole...  So I would absolutely take that very hypothetical person’s last name 

Your wife doesn’t have to do anything she doesn’t want to 

I got married last jan and just cant bring myself to change my name. It feels like letting go of my identity. Im not sure why because I'm pretty traditional with stuff like that and a huge hopeless ro

Posted Images

• Exhale+

Yeah, I would. I think it’s sweet and romantic. But I can totally understand if someone wouldn’t want to. My guy and I are engaged and plan on getting married eventually. The name thing is something we’ve talked about a bit, it’s kinda funny and definitely a hetero thing, but I like it. 

• Love 6

If you can't say I LOVE YOU, then say nothing at all...

• Exhale+

I got married last jan and just cant bring myself to change my name. It feels like letting go of my identity. Im not sure why because I'm pretty traditional with stuff like that and a huge hopeless romantic.

• Love 7

You'll never see it my way because you're not me -Britney 

I'm not really a fan of my last name, personally. I don't feel connected to it. If anything I've been thinking of legally changing it on my own and then my hypothetical partner can then take my new last name. :eyes_britney_laugh:

But I urge most of you to keep your last names if you're happy with it. I don't want to have to point you to the divorce rates in your individual countries. 

rachel dratch snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

depends on the surname and where ill be living!! my surname is only easy to pronounce in my dads country so if i marry someone from there ig i can keep mine, but if its an other country im taking his lol (also my surname means sparrow which im not too find of lmao)

my mom actually kept both (w a hyphen) so i might do that

I’ve been married for five years.

I thought I would when I had children but I don’t think I will. I’m just gonna rock my name. Seems like too much trouble to change my name (and my signature lol!) when we are no less of a family. 

• Love 2

My mom didn't take my dad's name.

When I was born, I ended up taking my mom's surname. My dad's surname ended when he had my siblings and I. However, I don't think I'd take my partner's name. I'm a little too selfish to change it, I like mine. My future husband can take mine haha

• Love 1

Instantly....I'd take whatever his name is cause mine is just **** af and I always have to spell it to others...all the freakin time and then I have to teach them how to pronounce it.

Gurl this is so **** exhausting and I'm done with it :sipnstare_coffee_mug_tea_sipping_spilling_red:

• Love 1