*Best selling debut album (1991)

mariah-carey-dec-17-2019-u-billboard-154

or

Britney Spears in 1998

* Smash #1 hit ...Baby One More Time

* Best selling debut album (1999)

* Rejuvenated the Pop genre 

ac97af1b-Britney-Spears.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

For those who choose to drag me for even asking this, remember that Mimi dominated the 90s with singles and album sales. Britney’s album sales go in downward slope. Who’s debut is better, is what I’m really asking? Discuss: 

• Love 1
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BOMT! BOMT was a super hit globally, even nowadays there’s almost NO ONE that doesn’t know the song. Mariah is super famous and has many #1 but globally isn’t that big tbh, she’s most known

Mariah had better accolades in her debut but Britney had a bigger status as a popstar at the age of 16/17 It was harder for Mariah to reach this success because of the COMPETITION and she fought

It's a weird comparaison, i love them both but they're not really in the same genre, even marketing wise, they weren't trying to reach the same demographic, Brit was aimed at pre-teens and teenagers w

It's a weird comparaison, i love them both but they're not really in the same genre, even marketing wise, they weren't trying to reach the same demographic, Brit was aimed at pre-teens and teenagers who were into boy bands and Spice Girls

Mariah's career trajectory was totally different, she came in a time where Whitney Houston was pretty much the blueprint and people always compared them, it was harder for Mariah to get her name out there and become successful

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, dr34mc0r3 said:

It's a weird comparaison, i love them both but they're not really in the same genre, even marketing wise, they weren't trying to reach the same demographic, Brit was aimed at pre-teens and teenagers who were into boy bands and Spice Girls

Mariah's career trajectory was totally different, she came in a time where Whitney Houston was pretty much the blueprint and people always compared them, it was harder for Mariah to get her name out there and become successful

This. 

Mariah had better accolades in her debut but Britney had a bigger status as a popstar at the age of 16/17

It was harder for Mariah to reach this success because of the COMPETITION and she fought with her own talent, writing and singing.

While Britney had a better formula, team, and aesthetic that instantly made her The Princess of Pop

They're both my faves its so hard to be bias :gunriah_mariah_carey:

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, Captain Britney said:

Mariah had better accolades in her debut but Britney had a bigger status as a popstar at the age of 16/17

It was harder for Mariah to reach this success because of the COMPETITION and she fought with her own talent, writing and singing.

While Britney had a better formula, team, and aesthetic that instantly made her The Princess of Pop

They're both my faves its so hard to be bias :gunriah_mariah_carey:

Yeah it baffles me to this day how successful a first album like BOMT was. Normally an artist flops and with their first album then by their sophomore release, their sales increase. Mariah’s albums fluctuate in numbers but Britney started out STRONG and unfortunately dwindled down after each release except for Circus since it outsells BO. 😜 

I’d rather have the number ones tbh :rihannayas_weave_pull_cocky_smirk_proud:

Heres to hoping Britney’s REAL comeback B10 outsells her previous three works :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Britney definitely. 

Mariah was more of a local act until Music Box where she became a worldwide phenomenon. Her debut was less commercially successful internationally!

Britney on the other hand had her first song and album become internationally successful!

Mariah’s peaks (worldwide): 1993 - 1999, 2005 - 2008

Britney’s peaks (worldwide): 1998 - 2004, 2007 - 2011

• Like 3

Also,

Britney’s influence (overall, not just for the time) with her first album 

1. The rise of many other teen stars and Britney was the epitome of that

2. Bringing back solo, dance music 

Mariah’s influence 

1. Melisma used in Vision of Love influenced Beyoncé, Kelly Clarkson, Ariana Grande and many others! 

2. The whistle register (although she made it more popular after her debut - during emotions maybe)!

Two different time periods and genres and both have legendary careers, but I am going to go with Rollingstone's verdict and say Britney as the best debut single of all time.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/greatest-debut-songs-singles-990470/britney-spears-baby-one-more-time-2-990475/

"One of those pop manifestos that announces a new sound, a new era, a new century. But most of all, a new star. Planet Earth, meet Britney Jean Spears, the 17-year-old pride of Kentwood, Louisiana. “…Baby One More Time” is an apocalyptic thunder-clap of a song, with Max Martin’s mega-boom production: The only detail he screwed up was the incredibly annoying ellipsis in the title. As Britney told Rolling Stone in 2000, she stayed up late the night before listening to Soft Cell’s “Tainted Love” (“What a **** song”) to get the growl she wanted. “I wanted my voice to be kind of rusty.” 

In the great tradition of debut singles, it was a divisive statement that drew a line between past and future. “So much attitude in that song,” Spears said. “I was so happy because there’s a lot of good songs out there, but it’s rare when you can take a song and really put your name all over it and put your personality into it.” With “…Baby One More Time,” this girl changed the sound of pop forever: It’s Britney, *****. Nothing was ever the same. R.S."

• Love 1
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, Britneylandia said:

BOMT!

BOMT was a super hit globally, even nowadays there’s almost NO ONE that doesn’t know the song.

Mariah is super famous and has many #1 but globally isn’t that big tbh, she’s most known by “All I Want For Christmas Is You”.

Mariah has been in the industry for over 30 years, I didn’t see her peak at 90, I was very young, but I remember her songs were everywhere, especially on the radio. I love Britney but I recognize Mariah's value, at least half the planet remembers her, every year, for Christmas.:jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

• Haha 1
39 minutes ago, e-mailmyheart said:

Mariah has been in the industry for over 30 years, I didn’t see her peak at 90, I was very young, but I remember her songs were everywhere, especially on the radio. I love Britney but I recognize Mariah's value, at least half the planet remembers her, every year, for Christmas.:jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Bundy said:

I LOVE THIS. Billy is like my cracked out alter ego if someone gave me a microphone and set me loose in NYC with a celeb after I've taken too much A*d*r*ll :enigma_alien_blue:

As for the actual topic, I think it's tough to compare since they each came out in totally different times. When Mariah debuted, she was the only artist who could compete with Whitney vocally. I was pretty young when her debut came out but I remember Vision of Love being everywhere. OTOH, Britney was like the more fun version of Xtina, who arguably had the better voice but not that X-Factor (pun intended) that really set Britney apart from any of her peers. It's also interesting to note that Britney kept her momentum going and gradually evolved her image like Mariah did, whereas Christina basically put out a Christmas and Spanish album after her debut and really did nothing else until Stripped. 

Britney and Mariah seem to be in similar places in their careers too, just separated by a generation. Young millennials and Gen-Z might just associate Mariah with Christmas music because she's clearly gotten to a point where she proved herself and can kind of do what she wants and remind everybody that a fun Christmas song she recorded in the 90's continues to sell more and more every year. Gen-Z probably also associates Britney with her older stuff like BOMT, Oops, Slave, and Toxic, without acknowledging that she's still a current artist since she's become overshadowed by the Arianas and TSwifts and Gagas who are constantly putting out new material. 

But as for whose debut was more influential, I think the Rolling Stone article that @Frankie8 posted is spot on. Britney introduced a completely new sound that ushered in a new era of pop while Mariah's debut was noteworthy more for her vocal range than bringing something new and unique. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, britneyluv said:

I LOVE THIS. Billy is like my cracked out alter ego if someone gave me a microphone and set me loose in NYC with a celeb after I've taken too much A*d*r*ll :enigma_alien_blue:

As for the actual topic, I think it's tough to compare since they each came out in totally different times. When Mariah debuted, she was the only artist who could compete with Whitney vocally. I was pretty young when her debut came out but I remember Vision of Love being everywhere. OTOH, Britney was like the more fun version of Xtina, who arguably had the better voice but not that X-Factor (pun intended) that really set Britney apart from any of her peers. It's also interesting to note that Britney kept her momentum going and gradually evolved her image like Mariah did, whereas Christina basically put out a Christmas and Spanish album after her debut and really did nothing else until Stripped. 

Britney and Mariah seem to be in similar places in their careers too, just separated by a generation. Young millennials and Gen-Z might just associate Mariah with Christmas music because she's clearly gotten to a point where she proved herself and can kind of do what she wants and remind everybody that a fun Christmas song she recorded in the 90's continues to sell more and more every year. Gen-Z probably also associates Britney with her older stuff like BOMT, Oops, Slave, and Toxic, without acknowledging that she's still a current artist since she's become overshadowed by the Arianas and TSwifts and Gagas who are constantly putting out new material. 

But as for whose debut was more influential, I think the Rolling Stone article that @Frankie8 posted is spot on. Britney introduced a completely new sound that ushered in a new era of pop while Mariah's debut was noteworthy more for her vocal range than bringing something new and unique. 

Billy cracks me up, I just love how many new yorkers dont give a **** about celebs :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: 

I saw this one where he asks people If they prefer Britney over Kesha or Meryl lol 

Christina took some years between CA and Stripped bc of Mi Reflejo and MKOC, and nobody wants to be lonely and lady marmalade in 2001, where she really started to change her image. She was changing her hair since 2000, but I feel like 2001 is when she really tried some crazy hair, makeup and outfits bc she didnt want to be the cute teenybopper anymore.  

I love Mariah and I was little when she released My All, I still believe, Rainbow, etc, and I know she sold many records and had so many #1 hits, but like @PokemonSpears said I dont feel she was never a phenomenom like Britney was ww. She is an icon but in a different way. Ofc she had her impact with her whistles, remixes and collabs with rappers, but I dont feel she had that impact on music like Britney did. Britney in a way changed the music scene and caused a commotion, she was the first to do that since Madonna, she became the biggest thing ww, every record label wanted their Britney, every young singer was copying her or being the Anti Britney, she was the one to beat. Everyone was compared to her, and till this day the most successful popstars still are. 

I feel like Britney is far more remembered and celebrated by gp and media than Mariah overall tbh. 

MC sold 15m, BOMT sold +25m. And BOMT is way bigger and a classic than Vision Of Love. I think Britneys debut was without a question bigger. 

• Like 2

Britney's debut was bigger and her video was also kind of scandalous since she was young and super **** for that time. She was everywhere you looked.  So happy I got to live through that and wish I could do it again!  Don't get me wrong though because Mariah was pretty big too when she came out but nothing compared to Britney.  Mariah Carey's MTV unplugged was the first cd I ever owned and is still one of my favorite's to listen to.  She had several hits but I don't remember seeing her all over the place like I did Britney. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: 

• Love 1