Was Overprotected really the #1 selling song of 2002 in Mexico

Wikipedia:

"Overprotected" reached number one in Mexico and was the best-selling single of 2002 in Mexico. It was top five in Italy, Romania, and United Kingdom, top ten in Belgium FinlandIreland, and Norway. In the USA "The Darkchild Remix" peaked at number 86 on Billboard Hot 100."

------

I think her "Britney" singles performed poorly on the Hot 100 because she was banned from US radio during that era. The Clear Channel ban because her team chose Pepsi to sponsor her tour instead on Clear Channel-- someone should confirm this though lol 

• Love 1
  • Super Moderators
23 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

I think our local Mexicano stan @PokemonSpears can answer this :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

idk :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous: in Mexico charts aren't that relevant, as in the way US Billboard is. To this day I still don't know where to look at to keep track of that. There's the AMPROFON which is like the RIAA, and they are the ones that give certificactions (gold, platinum, etc) but they don't have any lists published by year or something, they only have on their site the singles or albums that have gotten a certification.

Nowadays we have the iTunes charts which is like the closest to it, but back in the day I don't really know how people kept track of it, because you do hear every now and then like "this is the best selling album of the year" but it's like, and where are all the other albums on the list? I don't know if there's like a printed magazine perhaps, but I can't find anything on the web.

I did find that it reached #1 on one of the most important radio stations, but it was just one week, not the #1 of the year, and still, is just radio airplay, not sales. https://los40.com/lista40/numeros1/2002/

What I do know is that it was robbed from the yearly Top 100 of MTV :icant2_britney_nope_smh_head_shake_disappointed_everytime: They received a lot of backlash for snubbing Overprotected after it slayed the entire year the Top 10 (equivalent of TRL)

• Love 4

I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

55 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

idk :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous: in Mexico charts aren't that relevant, as in the way US Billboard is. To this day I still don't know where to look at to keep track of that. There's the AMPROFON which is like the RIAA, and they are the ones that give certificactions (gold, platinum, etc) but they don't have any lists published by year or something, they only have on their site the singles or albums that have gotten a certification.

Nowadays we have the iTunes charts which is like the closest to it, but back in the day I don't really know how people kept track of it, because you do hear every now and then like "this is the best selling album of the year" but it's like, and where are all the other albums on the list? I don't know if there's like a printed magazine perhaps, but I can't find anything on the web.

I did find that it reached #1 on one of the most important radio stations, but it was just one week, not the #1 of the year, and still, is just radio airplay, not sales. https://los40.com/lista40/numeros1/2002/

What I do know is that it was robbed from the yearly Top 100 of MTV :icant2_britney_nope_smh_head_shake_disappointed_everytime: They received a lot of backlash for snubbing Overprotected after it slayed the entire year the Top 10 (equivalent of TRL)

Thanks for the info! It reminds me of Blackout going to #1 despite Britney doing zero promotion yet at the last minute they changed the rules to accommodate THE EAGLES. Don't get me wrong - Hotel California is a classic and I'm from Philly so I have a soft spot for Eagles but yeah let's deny Britney a #1 so that a washed-up band can partner with Wal-Mart to have their moment :gtfo_britney_pink_wig_2007_mad_annoyed_irritated_stare:

• Love 2
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

Thanks. I'm very curious because a lot of people loved that song but it didn't go #1 "officially" anywhere. So I was happy to read that on wiki loool

• Super Moderators
39 minutes ago, popprison said:

Thanks. I'm very curious because a lot of people loved that song but it didn't go #1 "officially" anywhere. So I was happy to read that on wiki loool

it was very popular on MTV Latin America, that's why fans were outraged that it didn't appear on any position at the end of the year countdown. Toxic would later receive the same fate in 2004.

And it was very popular on radio. Even until relatively recently, I would hear Overprotected at the super market and such :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

• Love 1

I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

12 hours ago, britneyluv said:

Thanks for the info! It reminds me of Blackout going to #1 despite Britney doing zero promotion yet at the last minute they changed the rules to accommodate THE EAGLES. Don't get me wrong - Hotel California is a classic and I'm from Philly so I have a soft spot for Eagles but yeah let's deny Britney a #1 so that a washed-up band can partner with Wal-Mart to have their moment :gtfo_britney_pink_wig_2007_mad_annoyed_irritated_stare:

Fellow Britney fan from Philly, too and was mad Blackout was denied the number 1, but could you imagine if it was the other way around? Like if Britney only partnered with one seller and still managed to outsell the number 2 album by hundreds of thousands of copies decades into her career and was denied the number 1, I'd be livid. That rule change, though ill timed, was needed. We benefit from it today on a smaller scale that Britney's albums have the chance to chart on Billboard even if it's an exclusive album release from Urban Outfitters.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Frankie8 said:

Fellow Britney fan from Philly, too and was mad Blackout was denied the number 1, but could you imagine if it was the other way around? Like if Britney only partnered with one seller and still managed to outsell the number 2 album by hundreds of thousands of copies decades into her career and was denied the number 1, I'd be livid. That rule change, though ill timed, was needed. We benefit from it today on a smaller scale that Britney's albums have the chance to chart on Billboard even if it's an exclusive album release from Urban Outfitters.

I was very irritated at blackout not being #1 because it ended her all #1 albums streak. But then again b Jean and glory didn't go #1 either 

Edited by popprison
22 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

What I do know is that it was robbed from the yearly Top 100 of MTV :icant2_britney_nope_smh_head_shake_disappointed_everytime: They received a lot of backlash for snubbing Overprotected after it slayed the entire year the Top 10 (equivalent of TRL)

The music video was the number one video of MTV's Mexico in the final countdown of 2002 "Los 100 más pedidos".

Oprah Winfrey So What Is The Truth GIF - OprahWinfrey SoWhatIsTheTruth Truth  - Descubre & Comparte GIFs

1 hour ago, popprison said:

I was very irritated at blackout being #1 because it ended her all #1 albums streak. But then again b Jean and glory didn't go #1 either 

Yea I get you. But I think eventually Blackout won. It is recognized as an influential album with many considering it her magnum opus and through the fan campaign for it to go platinum years later was a testament of its quality of work and fan dedication and appreciation.

• Love 1
  • Super Moderators
Just now, Oxic said:

The music video was the number one video of MTV's Mexico in the final countdown of 2002 "Los 100 más pedidos".

Oprah Winfrey So What Is The Truth GIF - OprahWinfrey SoWhatIsTheTruth Truth  - Descubre & Comparte GIFs

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:Los_100_%2B_pedidos_del_2002

010. Juanes - A Dios le Pido
009. The Calling - Wherever You Will Go
008. Shakira - Objection (Tango)
007. t.A.T.u. - All the Things She Said
006. Blink-182 - Stay Together For The Kids
005. Christina Aguilera & Redman - Dirrty
004. System of a Down - Toxicity
003. Westlife - World of Our Own
002. Britney Spears - I Love Rock 'n' Roll
001. Avril Lavigne - Complicated

• Love 1