Cosmopolitan Tryin To Pass Bein Morbidly Obese As Healthy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing wrong with obese people on the cover.  But don’t put the word healthy next to it. 

Its a scientific fact that being that overweight is NOT healthy, I don't know why fashion is trying to pass it as such? Being proud of your body, thin or not, is ok and good for your mental health, bu

i'm sorry but this don't change anything Those body aren't healthy, science say that  “We didn’t understand early on what a major risk factor obesity was. … It’s not until more recently that

Posted Images

• Community Leader

I think it's important we at least include some of these ladies' perspectives.

“I thought if I made myself accountable to strangers, I’d [lose weight]. It made me feel worse than ever.”

She adds, “I had a really terrible relationship with my body growing up. I always struggled with the fact that it was different to my friends’. I tried every single diet.”

Callie, 31, has suffered from disordered eating throughout her life but found comfort in the blog too.

“I was welcomed into a community where I was able to meet other plus-size women going through the same thing. I realised the importance of focusing on my mental health and addressing issues with my anxiety, and finding ways to take care of myself.”

• Love 5
  • Haha 1

💜 Subscribe to Exhale+ 💙

These women acknowledged that mental health was important and until that is addressed, they cannot progress. They faced their life-long anxieities and became a community that worked to face their mental health struggles and find ways to take care of themselves. They are aware it is not healthy... but they are working on themselves and that is something to proud of. 

We need to address the fact these women (and overweight people in general) have battled with food and their weight their entire lives and it is incredibly hard to break the habit. They seem to be on the right path. I don’t think we should be bashing them. :mhmnod_yes_agree_nodding:

Also, @GMFlop on a scale of 1-10, how miserable are you? :outwithit_go_on_wave_britney_femme_fatale_ff_documentary:

• Love 6
  • Exhale+
5 minutes ago, OnlyBeyonce said:

i'm sorry but this don't change anything

Those body aren't healthy, science say that :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

“We didn’t understand early on what a major risk factor obesity was. … It’s not until more recently that we’ve realized the devastating impact of obesity, particularly in younger people,” says Anne Dixon, a physician-scientist who studies obesity and lung disease at the University of Vermont. That “may be one reason for the devastating impact of COVID-19 in the United States, where 40% of adults are obese.”

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/09/why-covid-19-more-deadly-people-obesity-even-if-theyre-young

Exactly. Science and facts are the only perspectives I'm interested in. Yes, I believe in self-love and body positivity, I also believe body standards in the media are a problem, but that said, normalizing morbid obesity is not ok. The women portrayed on the cover are unhealthy. Sadly, they are putting their organs through unnecessary strain and increasing their likelihood of contracting many diseases and cancers. It's truly sad to see. These women shouldn't be derided for what led them to be this size as clearly they need help in overcoming their unhealthy relationship to food/exercise, but they also shouldn't be blindly celebrated like there's nothing wrong here. Imo, there's no difference between putting women like this and emaciated models on magazine covers, an eating disorder is an eating disorder no matter how you put it. 

• Love 2
  • Like 5
10 hours ago, GMFlop said:

Ok, big people can be pretty and atractive. But normalize a physical state where joint injuries, respiratory and cardiac problems can be suffered is dangerous. With writting HEALTHY next to this photographs they are telling a BIG LIE. Sorry, I used to be like those girls fifteen years ago, I wasn’t healthy and my life was very limited. 

• Love 4
  • Haha 1
  • Like 4
  • Community Super Mods

ok, I checked the article. If you take those pictures out of the context of the article, or the other pictures, it's very deceiving 

that's clearly not the message they're trying to send, but the lifestyle changes they've made to be better

• Love 1
  • Like 3

I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

22 minutes ago, Rob_ said:

I think it’s deeper than the lens with which you guys are taking it. I didn’t read the article but if someone is on a journey to becoming healthier with a consistent work out routine and healthy diet, then they are living a healthy lifestyle... regardless of their weight. The yogi in the first picture is a great example of that. 

it’s important to note that you can’t change what your body looks like in a day, so you should always love yourself and your body. But fitness and a healthy diet are a non-negotiable for living a healthy lifestyle. 

So the right title should be “working to be healthy”.

• Love 3
  • Like 4

These women are not morbidly obese, OMG @Jordan Miller can we change it to just say obese? The current title is so aggressive at fat shaming.  

With that being said. I really need this country to stop being scared to call out unhealthy habits. The cover should say "This is mentally healthy" ...because what they are talking about in the article is acceptance with body issues. These women should still be following a good diet and exercise program that keeps them at a healthier BMI. 

However, I could get behind the "mentally healthy" spin. I myself used to suffer really bad from trying to be the "gay adonis ideal"...I worked out 6 days a week, I barely ate, and I was cracked out all the time on diet pills and *******. I was mental,  but I looked great. All the guys who used to not want me, wanted me.

Now, I am thiccer but so much more mentally healthy, and my life and career are much more successful. I still workout a lot, but 4-5 days a week, and try to keep a decent diet...but sometimes I want pizza or tacos. I also have a body type that has never been thin even when I was a kid. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 5
26 minutes ago, OnlyBeyonce said:

i'm sorry but this don't change anything

Those body aren't healthy, science say that :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

“We didn’t understand early on what a major risk factor obesity was. … It’s not until more recently that we’ve realized the devastating impact of obesity, particularly in younger people,” says Anne Dixon, a physician-scientist who studies obesity and lung disease at the University of Vermont. That “may be one reason for the devastating impact of COVID-19 in the United States, where 40% of adults are obese.”

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/09/why-covid-19-more-deadly-people-obesity-even-if-theyre-young

You seem bothered.

• Haha 1