This Day in Pop: Britney Spears releases 'Piece of Me' single in 2007 (November 27)

• Super Moderators

pieceofmesingle.jpg.c03fe04960fcca70e43f6848173c5e16.jpg  01.jpg

On November 27, 2007, Britney Spears released Piece of Me, the second single off Blackout. It was written by Christian Karlsson, Pontus Winnberg (Bloodshy & Avant) along with Klas Åhlund. The electropop song talks about Britney's relationship with the media.

Despite the unwritten rule of not writing songs that talked about Britney's personal life, the producers recorded the song anyway and sent it to Britney, who loved it and decided to record it. Piece of Me was actually the last song of the album to be recorded. According to Winnberg, she learned the lyrics of the song in her car while she was heading to the studio, where she finished the song in less than half an hour.

Robyn, who also recorded a demo of the song, provides background vocals, alternating with Åhlund the "piece of me's" that we hear in the chorus in a robotized voice, while Bloodshy & Avant sing the "Extra! Extra!".

After the album release in October, Britney talked about the song in a small interview she had with Ryan Seacrest over the phone

Spoiler

"Wherever you go, there's a lot of people who ask questions, and sometimes you don't know their intentions and stuff like that. So, it is kind of a cute way of putting it out there. You know, like, 'You want a piece of me?', you know, in a cool, cute and clever way. It is a cute song [...] I like it"

The song peaked at #18 in the BBH100 but hit the #1 on the US Dance Club Songs chart. It was Top 10 and several countries, including #1 in Ireland. She's performed the song in her Circus Tour, Femme Fatale Tour, and her Vegas Residency, which was named after the track, Britney: Piece of Me.

In 2008 a Remix EP was released

R-7187667-1435689364-9442.jpeg.jpg

The music video wasn't released until December, so we'll "celebrate" that later :forkit_britney_ice_cream_ellen_glory_eating_yum_spoon_food:

• Love 6
  • Like 1

I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

• Super Moderators
1 minute ago, Roxxy said:

It needed a bigger moment. And even if it won 3 moon men in 2008, I still feel like it's underrated but lowkey iconic - if that makes sense. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

never was one of my favorite songs :4music_britney_2013_uk_annoyed_irritated_mad: I only got to like it after the Circus performance, then it was like :ipass_britney_xfactor_no_words: then again after 4 years in Vegas was like, ok I kinda like it, but it just bores me too easily

Also, in terms of performance, I think it doesn't allow to create anything with it, like, it always has to be performed the way it is, and any other arrangement would ruin it, but that also gets tiring.

But I know you must love it for the shoutout to your country lol

• Haha 1

I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

• Super Moderators
2 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

never was one of my favorite songs I only got to like it after the Circus performance, then it was like then again after 4 years in Vegas was like, ok I kinda like it, but it just bores me too easily

Also, in terms of performance, I think it doesn't allow to create anything with it, like, it always has to be performed the way it is, and any other arrangement would ruin it, but that also gets tiring.

But I know you must love it for the shoutout to your country lol

I don't love it for that. :pika_pikachu_slap_fighting_hitting_mad: How shallow of me. :blol_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao:

• Haha 1

🦄 💛🧡💜