New BreatheHeavy Video! Should fans boycott Britney's new song "Swimming in the Stars?"

• Super Administrators

Hey Exhale. :hiii_britney_wave_glaad_2018_waving_hello:

In light of the heated debates we've got going on whether we should or shouldn't support Britney's new song, "Swimming in the Stars," I decided to make a video offering my perspective.

Britney is refusing to work right now, so some of us are feeling uneasy about listening to Britney's new tune. I've seen talks of a boycott, which feels weird to me, however I understand the logic behind that. 

I'd GREATLY appreciate it if you watched this video and left me a comment here AND on the YouTube video (ugh I know I'm asking a lot lol but pleeease?). Hustling to grow this YouTube channel (which has also been growing BH/Exhale's traffic which is super cool). 

Thoughts? I'm looking forward to hearing from you! :kidcries_crying_sad_tearing_up_sobbing:

Related:

boycott.jpg.34a23cf83616f90d5ad996aaf7219ded.jpg

• Love 4

💜 Subscribe to Exhale+ 💙

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just wanna say that everyone can do whatever they want, but if you're gonna feel guilty about this or you're trying to make someone else feel guilty about this, let's just remember that we've all be

People should do whatever they want and leave the other side alone. We have fought over this for quite some time that I don’t see how bringing these topics up again help. Anyways, will make a drawing

Sorry, not sorry, but this attitude isn't good enough. Yes, ALL of us fans have contributed to the Conservatorship going the way it has by consuming Britney's Brand, whether that be buying her al

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I just wanna say that everyone can do whatever they want, but if you're gonna feel guilty about this or you're trying to make someone else feel guilty about this, let's just remember that we've all been guilty in some capacity, and this is just the tip of the iceberg:

• Everyone that has "supported her brand", bought her music, streamed it, gone to her concerts in the past 12 years, is guilty, and being aware now doesn't remove the fact that we did it.
  • Not only that, in the past two years, all of us that have talked about #FreeBritney or Britney's situation in general, that have shared or created content about it, have indirectly increased her YouTube views and streaming numbers compared to previous years. So putting it in perspective, the amount of streaming this new song only fans know about will get, is nothing compared to everything the general public has been and keeps streaming thanks to all the noise we've made in the news, from the podcast, the hashtags, the tik toks, the protests, etc. I bet they'll make more money from BOMT and Toxic YT views alone than what SWITS will ever make.
  • Going even beyond that, all of us that consumed her music and brand BEFORE the conservatorship, should also feel guilty then, because if she didn't have that fortune in the first place, her father and lounatic friends wouldn't be interested in controlling her life and money.

But I think it's pointless both feeling guilty or trying to make others feel bad. We're all doing whatever our conscience tell us is the right thing. To me, if any, more than a question of how much money they'll make, it's just the fact that they're releasing this with or without her consent. Whether this move comes from Jamie or the record label, it's like saying "hey Britney, we don't need you or your approval to keep selling your stuff". But yet, we don't know what her contract says. Maybe it would be even more detrimental to her if this isn't released, because I don't know, some clause that says she has to release something every certain amount of time, and otherwise it would cost her more, or who knows.

Now, yeah, she's refusing to work now, but she wasn't refusing to work whenever she recorded this, if it's indeed from the Glory sessions. So if we're very technical and going by what Ingham said in court, she didn't actually have to work, as in, ever since she's refusing to work, in order for this release to happen, because they already had this done years ago. So are they really going against Britney's wishes?

They also know very well streaming and sales is the only income Britney has right now, as well as her father. If they don't want Jamie to get a penny from that, why aren't they asking for her music to be removed from all streaming services, or why isn't she dropping off the record label. Why isn't everyone asking for her music and videos to be removed from the internet, so fans and gp alike stop streaming it? Why only this song in particular is the problem?

The truth is  even if they cancelled the release, which would be the same as if no one bought it or streamed it, the conservatorship would still exist. I understand that the timing was super off, and I feel it's more about the ethics of it, like, now we are conscious of the situation, and we can't ignore what's happening, but some people are acting as if this song was the decisive thing for the future of the conservatorship, like if it flops, she's free, or if it's a hit the conservatorship gets extended for 12 more years, when in reality, right now, as of this very moment, what they're making with her existing catalog is enough for them to still be interested in her estate, and one more song or one song less won't make a tangible difference.

Even if this flops and Urban Outfitters already has more vinyls in store, they'll still release them, because they already paid for them.

tl;dr: just you do you and stop caring about what others do or don't. At the end the only thing that unites us is that we want Britney happy and free, and this isn't a competition about who supports her the most or the best.

This was incredibly well-written and I wholeheartedly agree with all of it. I can understand why some people feel like it's a betrayal to listen to Britney's music while she's refusing to work, but I can't get behind it. Artists hate streaming because they make no money from it. Listening to a song that Britney recorded who knows when likely is not going to make a difference at all. I think Britney genuinely loves performing and is incredibly appreciative to her fans for having her back during this time. However, it seems like she likes performing on her terms, which is not going to happen under her current restraints. This is where the money is truly made - performing, endorsements, etc. I honestly think Britney would be flattered that we are enjoying music she's previously recorded but for whatever reason has not been released.

Listening to an unreleased Britney song is not going to have any effect on the conservatorship. Britney has made her position known to her attorney, the courts, and the public, which is that she is uncomfortable in her current situation and wants out. The conservatorship is not going to end because people refuse to enjoy Britney's previous work. It kind of reminds me of Taylor Swift's current situation where she is upset that her previous work was sold in the way it was but is now re-recording her catalogue because she wants people to enjoy her music. 

I think you can separate the work that Britney has already done with the future work she is refusing to do. As PokemonSpears noted, this song, and any of Britney's previous songs whether released or unreleased, will not decide the future of her conservatorship.

Britney clearly wants to get back to performing, which you can see through her Instagram videos. Her boycott has more to do with giving her dad the proverbial finger, but at the end of the day, I can't see Jamie backing off on his position simply because her estate might be making a little less money from fans who refuse to support Britney's past work.

tl,dr: thanks for coming to my Ted Talk and #freebritney 

• Like 1

Not even a question, i won't buy anything related to Britney, until she is free. You know what? I became a fan in 2007, the media was against her, i liked her music but thought always: Why they treat her so badly? And what do they do now? It's horrible (what we know by now, but that is a lot)

No conservatorship, give her the money back.

This is or should be a crime! 

I can wait, maybe in another 10 years i can listen to it. 

• Love 2

Mood Ring was a "gift" to fans. And even then Britney never SPOKE about it. She only posted on social media, which is always dubious. 

Please show me anywhere Britney has ever acknowledged the Swimming In The Stars. She probably doesn't even know it's being released. Bessemer have not had any impact whatsoever yet and likely won't for several months. Once Bessemer and Britney are on the same page and Britney has some say in her career, then I'll support her projects.  

• Love 2
  • Like 2
  • Exhale+

No :tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree:

And the opposite side, should maybe consider minding their own business because the tables can turn if Britney in her next booklet thanks all the fans who still brought her albums and music and calls us "the real fans" :nynod_miss_new_york_ms_nodding_yes_yas_agree:   

• Like 1

Stream MATM (Desi Remix) For Clean Kidneys :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

I wish Britney either acknowledged the song or makes clear she doesn’t support the release. Since she hasn’t done either fans are left to speculate what’s right to do and that’s why we gotta be careful judging eachother. 

Personally I lean more towards not supporting the release because of what’s been going on, what we read in court documents and Britney not having acknowledged the song yet.

the fact we supported Britney the past 12 years or the fact Britney technically didn’t work for this release is irrelevant. We’re trying to make a point NOW. We’re going in the right direction and supporting this release could be a step back. It doesn’t matter that UO already paid for it. What we show by buying this release is we don’t care if it comes from Britney herself or TeamCon. If it sells well, they will just do it again. 

I hope I’m wrong and Britney is behind (or at least) supportive of this release. But as of now it doesn’t look like it and as much as I want Britney to succeed again on the charts. Her freedom and happiness is wat more important. And I’ll choose to support that.

I will not judge anyone who chooses to do otherwise cause we don’t know anything. And you could make your choice based on what you know and believe about this situation.

• Like 5
53 minutes ago, Peter Pan said:

We’re going in the right direction and supporting this release could be a step back. It doesn’t matter that UO already paid for it. What we show by buying this release is we don’t care if it comes from Britney herself or TeamCon. If it sells well, they will just do it again. 

THIS! :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand: The fact that we’re arguing about supporting a “single”  Britney doesn’t acknowledge in a tweet let alone an Instagram video so we know it’s her in the middle of a legal battle where it’s stated that she refuses to work. And some people are thinking of chart success as if it’s gonna contribute to her career. What chart success with the half of the fandom and no gp? :dontlike_chewing_gum_zoom_bomt_britney: Back then some of us, including me, wasn’t aware but now we are. No excuses to support the hybrid business model because of Twitter stan instincts or the “but we need new music we’re thirsty”.  We should make a statement about how we only want the music from Britney yet we’re suddenly back here :4music_britney_2013_uk_annoyed_irritated_mad: Sorry I couldn’t be as polite as you but I tried my best :yesokay_britney_blush_blink:

• Love 3
  • Like 1

For me, choosing to not support the song isn't so much to do with her team making less money from this specific release or having a direct effect on ending the cship, it's more a symbolic thing. It's a message to her team and handlers that without her freedom, we will not get behind anything, no matter what it is. The truth is that by current Britney standards of commercial success, this song will not do much to line anyone's pockets. It's a stand-alone limited release that won't be sent to radio, won't have a video, won't be performed live and won't be known by virtually anyone outside the fanbase. That's the truth. And as people have mentioned before, these vinyls have already been paid for by UO so Britney's team have already gotten paid for it. But again, it's not about that, it's about unity and sending a message.

That all said, I understand both sides of the coin. On one hand, we still want to celebrate Britney as an artist and musician, and on the other hand we don't want to encourage her team to try to profit off her name without her consent. It's a fine line. The question is, how do we strike the right balance there? That really is up to the individual at the end of the day. But the lack of unity on this issue is also a little unfortunate because by all of us choosing to handle it differently, whatever point we're trying to get across is likely to become somewhat muddled.

It is what it is.

• Love 6
  • Exhale+
7 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

People should do whatever they want and leave the other side alone. We have fought over this for quite some time that I don’t see how bringing these topics up again help. Anyways, will make a drawing to send someone from team boycott their very own vinyl. PM me :nynod_miss_new_york_ms_nodding_yes_yas_agree:

6 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

I just wanna say that everyone can do whatever they want, but if you're gonna feel guilty about this or you're trying to make someone else feel guilty about this, let's just remember that we've all been guilty in some capacity, and this is just the tip of the iceberg:

• Everyone that has "supported her brand", bought her music, streamed it, gone to her concerts in the past 12 years, is guilty, and being aware now doesn't remove the fact that we did it.
  • Not only that, in the past two years, all of us that have talked about #FreeBritney or Britney's situation in general, that have shared or created content about it, have indirectly increased her YouTube views and streaming numbers compared to previous years. So putting it in perspective, the amount of streaming this new song only fans know about will get, is nothing compared to everything the general public has been and keeps streaming thanks to all the noise we've made in the news, from the podcast, the hashtags, the tik toks, the protests, etc. I bet they'll make more money from BOMT and Toxic YT views alone than what SWITS will ever make.
  • Going even beyond that, all of us that consumed her music and brand BEFORE the conservatorship, should also feel guilty then, because if she didn't have that fortune in the first place, her father and lounatic friends wouldn't be interested in controlling her life and money.

But I think it's pointless both feeling guilty or trying to make others feel bad. We're all doing whatever our conscience tell us is the right thing. To me, if any, more than a question of how much money they'll make, it's just the fact that they're releasing this with or without her consent. Whether this move comes from Jamie or the record label, it's like saying "hey Britney, we don't need you or your approval to keep selling your stuff". But yet, we don't know what her contract says. Maybe it would be even more detrimental to her if this isn't released, because I don't know, some clause that says she has to release something every certain amount of time, and otherwise it would cost her more, or who knows.

Now, yeah, she's refusing to work now, but she wasn't refusing to work whenever she recorded this, if it's indeed from the Glory sessions. So if we're very technical and going by what Ingham said in court, she didn't actually have to work, as in, ever since she's refusing to work, in order for this release to happen, because they already had this done years ago. So are they really going against Britney's wishes?

They also know very well streaming and sales is the only income Britney has right now, as well as her father. If they don't want Jamie to get a penny from that, why aren't they asking for her music to be removed from all streaming services, or why isn't she dropping off the record label. Why isn't everyone asking for her music and videos to be removed from the internet, so fans and gp alike stop streaming it? Why only this song in particular is the problem?

The truth is  even if they cancelled the release, which would be the same as if no one bought it or streamed it, the conservatorship would still exist. I understand that the timing was super off, and I feel it's more about the ethics of it, like, now we are conscious of the situation, and we can't ignore what's happening, but some people are acting as if this song was the decisive thing for the future of the conservatorship, like if it flops, she's free, or if it's a hit the conservatorship gets extended for 12 more years, when in reality, right now, as of this very moment, what they're making with her existing catalog is enough for them to still be interested in her estate, and one more song or one song less won't make a tangible difference.

Even if this flops and Urban Outfitters already has more vinyls in store, they'll still release them, because they already paid for them.

tl;dr: just you do you and stop caring about what others do or don't. At the end the only thing that unites us is that we want Britney happy and free, and this isn't a competition about who supports her the most or the best.

These. :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw: Well said. Represents my thoughts 100%.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Super Administrators
10 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

People should do whatever they want and leave the other side alone. We have fought over this for quite some time that I don’t see how bringing these topics up again help. Anyways, will make a drawing to send someone from team boycott their very own vinyl. PM me :nynod_miss_new_york_ms_nodding_yes_yas_agree:

I agree! I felt like it's important to bring it up to the YouTube audience tho in case they're curious about what's going on. Even this morning I saw this post about boycotting the brand and I'm still not really sure how to feel about it. I agree for the most part, but there are a lot of blurred lines. :hideous_um_zoom_hide_what_confused_scared:

If you're going to hook someone up with a vinyl that's damn cute. 

126249509_361894388442240_56284440847939

💜 Subscribe to Exhale+ 💙

• Super Administrators
9 hours ago, JP9101 said:

Jordi... not a big fan of your tumbnail :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink: maybe a little bit more natural. On the other hand, the content is good :martini_telling_talking_preaching_couch: keep going  

Lol I know the thumbnails are so extra, but I'm kinda living for the drama campiness of it :tifflmao_lol_haha_hehe_miss_new_york_laugh_ms_tiffany_pollard_cackle:

Thanks for saying the content is good tho! That's all I can ask for. And for you to smash the like button. :gloss_mirror_young_little_girl_smile_child_makeup_lipstick_lipgloss_lips_pink:

💜 Subscribe to Exhale+ 💙