This Day in Pop: Me Against the Music video premieres in 2003 (October 21)

• Super Moderators

meagainstthevideo.jpg.70d01ea857b4e3ec8bd55b420d2d9402.jpg 219.jpg

On October 21, 2003, Britney Spears released the music video for Me Against the Music featuring Madonna. It was directed by Paul Hunter and choreographed by Kevin Tancharoen.

It starts with parking a Mazda and entering a New York night club, where she's seen by Madonna through the monitors, in a room full of men smoking cigars. A cat-and-mouse like chase begins through different parts of the club, including a wooden maze (which served as inspiration for the Piece of Me performance in Vegas).

e4cba205d8c51715568094f4d4d37f7a.jpg

3k2w.gif

As the video progresses, we also see scenes of Britney performing the choreography on various sets, including a neon-like room decorated with grafitti

tumblr_m3g6os9ovq1r3ty02o1_500.gif

and the iconic scene where we see Britney and Madonna separated by a wall, but dancing in synchronicity as, according to the director, Madonna's spirit pulls her making Britney anticipate her moves.

tumblr_pdp0kwId7K1vf4mrho2_500.gif

Britney finally reaches Madonna at the end of the video, only for her to disappear as we hear her laugh before Britney could kiss her.

d3022042f7fe0558f23f265b1e69e30d30de1597.jpg?mw=600

The music video premiered on MTV's Making the Video, and it was later premiered online on Yahoo! Music, where it reached more than 2 million views on its first 5 days. It landed at #36 on MTV Latin America's Top 100 of 2003.

641f8d938341c978f35963537d19d011.jpg

• Love 9

I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

• Exhale+

The slayage here :blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom:

She wears the hell out of that suit. Her hair is mf flawless. The choreography is among her best efforts. 

This is in my top 3 favourite Britney MV’s and my top 10 MV’s ever tbh. Its just so good and criminally underrated. The Queen and the Princess did THAT and we’re still waiting for someone to top it :thirsty_britney_onyx_drink_flirt_drinking_sipping_fan_hot:

• Love 8
  • Like 1

Might I freak ya out, 'magine if I work ya out 😛

Because I was subscribed to BritneySpears.com for their newsletters and gave my cell number they called me before this song came out and played snippets of the single version of MATM and the Rishi Rich Desi Mix. I had to vote as to which version I liked better and the one with the most votes would be the winner and become the official single version. I chose the Rishi mix, but lost. It took me a really long time to like the single version (like 8 years).

Me Against The Music - Circus Tour / Bollywood Official Studio Version Ap?  - Britney Spears - BreatheHeavy | Exhale

• Love 4
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Stefani said:

Never really cared for Madonna's scenes in the video, or her part in the song in general. :chrissy_xtina_head_tilt_purse_sass: But the choreography was cute. :prettyney_britney_iggy_girls_bbma_2015_hair_flip_bounce:

Same. I LOVE Madonna, but I wasnt feeling this song when it came out. I like it now, so maybe it was ahead of its time, but i wish they had a duet on a bop like Girl Gone Wild, Gimme More or Hung Up

Unpopular opinion: MATM is superior Toxic in every aspect; single and MV.

This is arguably Britney at her best choreo game. Her movements are sharp and in sync with the dancers. It’s very Janet-esque which is probably my fav type of dancing, almost military style movements.

Too bad Outrageous MV happened and she injured her leg never to dance like before ever again :( 

• Love 1
  • Like 4
  • Exhale+
1 hour ago, CaulkDestroyer said:

Boys Co-Ed Remix and Slave 4 U say hello GIF britney spears britney brit - animated GIF on GIFER - by Felhann

I’ll give you Boys, but I wouldn’t consider Slave the same level of difficulty as the others... iconic yes, but difficult no :arianabye_grande_drive_ariana_pull_away_car_van_kiss_wave_goodbye_leave_leaving:

• Love 2
  • Like 1

💋 French fingertips, red lips, ***** is dangerous 💋

• Exhale+

Fun Fact: Me Against The Music Peaked at #1 for 4 Weeks in the United World Chart, becoming her biggest hit globally since Oops!...I Did It Again and sold over 5 million units by the end of 2004.

xQz3p5I.png

• Love 1

Stream MATM (Desi Remix) For Clean Kidneys :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

• Super Moderators
1 hour ago, joe sp said:

I was dreaming about this video last night :fakewow_selena_surprised_shocked:

Iconic video, look, choreo, everything! :meryl_streep_point_yas_yes_meme_proud:

she comes to you in your dreams, and tells you what you need to knooow :lizzie_oops_dancing_red_maguire_hillary_duff: 

• Haha 4

I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean