Jump to content

Rihanna apologizes after receiving backlash for appropriating Islam at Fenty fashion shows


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, kdub87 said:

It’s got to be exhausting being the type of snowflake that gets offended by this stuff. If you’re secure in yourself, your religion, your culture etc why do you care? It should take nothing away from it. People need to ball tf up. People are dying Kim. But sure, cry to anyone that will listen that Rihanna used religion in her fashion show lol. But I’m a man of science, religion is all silly fiction to me anyway. 

yea actually ur right! people are being put in concentration camps in china right now just for being muslim! kids and women are being raped, they are being force fed alcohol and pork, and in the end are being slaughtered! so yes lets be quiet about that religion being further disrespected

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/24/china-has-built-380-internment-camps-in-xinjiang-study-finds 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-54277430 

  • Dislike 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why on earth would u remix holy Islamic writings and then make nearly naked girls dance to it  that’s like someone remixing verses said by Jesus and dancing nearly nude to it now how is that

It's the year 2020. Are we really still talking about Religion?! Literally an ancient concept that we got over years ago.. No one cares about this stuff anymore. This is old world way of thinking. We

😂 you can’t win with these idiots.

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Britneyarmy8 said:

yea actually ur right! people are being put in concentration camps in china right now just for being muslim! kids and women are being raped, they are being force fed alcohol and pork, and in the end are being slaughtered! so yes lets be quiet about that religion being further disrespected

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/24/china-has-built-380-internment-camps-in-xinjiang-study-finds 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-54277430 

What's actually disrespectful is to muddle up the imprisonment and murder of Muslim people with Rihanna playing a song at a fashion show... Please stop trying to make that parallel. It is beyond ridiculous. No Muslim is victimized by Rihanna's fashion show...:beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching:

  • Love 3
Link to post
Just now, Korb said:

What's actually disrespectful is to muddle up the imprisonment and murder of Muslim people with Rihanna playing a song at a fashion show... Please stop trying to make that parallel. It is beyond ridiculous. No Muslim is victimized by Rihanna's fashion show...:beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching:

actually it makes total sense, while muslims are going through what they are right now, they dont need to see ignorant artists start remixing their religious texts and using it for their own shows, and stop telling them how to feel, cause i have seen so so many muslims just genuinly hurt as to why she would do that, and then i come here and see so many people making comments like "why should we care, queen of islam, people are dying" even tho thats so ironic? 

  • Dislike 2
  • Like 2
Link to post
4 hours ago, Britneyarmy8 said:

actually it makes total sense, while muslims are going through what they are right now, they dont need to see ignorant artists start remixing their religious texts and using it for their own shows, and stop telling them how to feel, cause i have seen so so many muslims just genuinly hurt as to why she would do that, and then i come here and see so many people making comments like "why should we care, queen of islam, people are dying" even tho thats so ironic? 

Whether Muslims on twitter are upset about Rihanna's fashion show or not has nothing to do with the actual murder of Muslims in China. You are conflating the two and that is beyond delusional and irresponsible. Honestly, how you could even compare the two is more disrespectful than the thing you're offended by. :beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching:
One is offensive ,sure ,but I defend the right to offend. The other is an assault on human rights., which I am staunchly against. Do not equate the two. 

Edit; I'd also like to say that nowhere did I tell you how to feel ...

  • Love 3
Link to post
4 hours ago, Britneyarmy8 said:

yea actually ur right! people are being put in concentration camps in china right now just for being muslim! kids and women are being raped, they are being force fed alcohol and pork, and in the end are being slaughtered! so yes lets be quiet about that religion being further disrespected

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/24/china-has-built-380-internment-camps-in-xinjiang-study-finds 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-54277430 

You're equating music/clothes in a fashion show with concentration camps, r*** and murder? choose your battles sis. This is the exact point I'm making, direct that energy to things that actually matter, not Rihanna's silly fashion shows.

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 10/6/2020 at 11:13 AM, Stefani said:

Are you being facetious? There are around 2.4 billion Christians and about 1.9 billion Muslims, not to mention 1.2 billion Hindus and various other religious groups around the world that make up a large part of the population.

The fact that y'all would be up in arms if someone insulted gays yet y'all think bashing religion is fair game. Whew child. :spit_lmao_spitting_spraying_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_jlaw_jennifer_lawrence:

Being gay is a biological fact of life and not a choice. Believing human kind is at the mercy of fictitious men in the sky is merely a delusion, and a choice. A delusion shared by many, but a delusion nonetheless. 

Religion has been at the root of most wars, hatred, cruelty and death since its inception. I don't think you could say the same about my partaking in ****** with fellow men. Some religions would have me thrown from a rooftop for doing so though...

  • Love 1
  • Like 2
Link to post
29 minutes ago, Korb said:

Whether Muslims on twitter are upset about Rihanna's fashion show or not has nothing to do with the actual murder of Muslims in China. You are conflating the two and that is beyond delusional and irresponsible. Honestly, how you could even compare the two is more disrespectful than the thing you're offended by. :beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching:
One is offensive ,sure ,but I defend the right to offend. The other is an assault on human rights., which I am staunchly against. Do not equate the two. 

Edit; I'd also like to say that nowhere did I tell you how to feel ...

I am not comparing the two!! Of course I don’t think that they are equal by any means?! All I’m saying is that while all that is going on in China as we speak, when countries are barely taking any interest in taking some kind of stance because they know it could start war, the least decency one of the biggest entertainers in the world could have is to not just disrespect the religion 

but instead I come on to this forum and see comments like “queen of Islam, she is giving them a platform, why should I care about those people” (whereas all those things are happening to them as we speak) is just sad! Nothing more, just disappointing 

Link to post
15 hours ago, kdub87 said:

If you’re secure in your religion and truly believe, why does this stuff take away from that for you? Surely if you’re all in on it, a Rihanna fashion show doesn’t affect it? Genuinely asking. VERY basic comparison I know, but people mock Britney relentlessly and it takes nothing away from the enjoyment I take in her music. Why do other people’s actions that have no direct consequence or impact on you make you upset or offended?

What do u mean "take away from that for you"? It didn't take away from me anything. I'm still secure. I still believe in my religion. I'm just mad and pissed off someone is disrespecting my religion. Example, you love your mom. But I disrespect and being rude to your mom. Ofcourse you're mad and pissed off, right? Why would you still listen to my music (assuming i make music and u used to enjoy it) if i'm being disrespectful to your mom? Its that simple. 
 

listening to her music and watching her videos give her money. I wouldn't want to support someone who directly disrespect my religion like that. 

Link to post
44 minutes ago, uzer26 said:

What do u mean "take away from that for you"? It didn't take away from me anything. I'm still secure. I still believe in my religion. I'm just mad and pissed off someone is disrespecting my religion. Example, you love your mom. But I disrespect and being rude to your mom. Ofcourse you're mad and pissed off, right? Why would you still listen to my music (assuming i make music and u used to enjoy it) if i'm being disrespectful to your mom? Its that simple. 
 

listening to her music and watching her videos give her money. I wouldn't want to support someone who directly disrespect my religion like that. 

Did she disrespect it? Was she derisive and derogatory? Cos I didn’t see it. Again, comparing you purposely and directly  disrespecting my mother isn’t really the same is it? You can’t lay claim to an entire religion and play it as if it’s a personal attack on you. For what it’s worth my mother passed away a few years ago, and people who don’t know have made “yo momma” jokes and the like, and I’ve  laughed, because I’m smart enough to interpret the intent behind it. Apparently things like intent are lost on the terminally offended these days though.

Rihanna played some music. If you’re genuinely deeply upset or offended and feel personally victimized by a fashion show playlist that had nothing to do with you, maybe you have some deeper issues to work through. It’s really not that deep, but maybe you’re the type that will actively look for a reason to feel offended. 
 

On that note, anyone know any good “yo mamma” jokes?

  • Love 2
  • Like 2
Link to post

So sick of this moment in time where  everyone is so easily offended and triggered. She apologized. Move on. Someone will probably do something “insensitive” today, and you all can be triggered by them. Cancel culture is lame as duck. 

  • Love 4
Link to post
6 hours ago, uzer26 said:

What do u mean "take away from that for you"? It didn't take away from me anything. I'm still secure. I still believe in my religion. I'm just mad and pissed off someone is disrespecting my religion. Example, you love your mom. But I disrespect and being rude to your mom. Ofcourse you're mad and pissed off, right? Why would you still listen to my music (assuming i make music and u used to enjoy it) if i'm being disrespectful to your mom? Its that simple. 
 

listening to her music and watching her videos give her money. I wouldn't want to support someone who directly disrespect my religion like that. 

She apologized and said that she didn't know it was a Hadith tho.. Also It might be her teams fault as well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 10/8/2020 at 4:28 PM, kdub87 said:

Did she disrespect it? Was she derisive and derogatory? Cos I didn’t see it. Again, comparing you purposely and directly  disrespecting my mother isn’t really the same is it? You can’t lay claim to an entire religion and play it as if it’s a personal attack on you. For what it’s worth my mother passed away a few years ago, and people who don’t know have made “yo momma” jokes and the like, and I’ve  laughed, because I’m smart enough to interpret the intent behind it. Apparently things like intent are lost on the terminally offended these days though.

Rihanna played some music. If you’re genuinely deeply upset or offended and feel personally victimized by a fashion show playlist that had nothing to do with you, maybe you have some deeper issues to work through. It’s really not that deep, but maybe you’re the type that will actively look for a reason to feel offended. 
 

On that note, anyone know any good “yo mamma” jokes?

Dude/lady say what you want. Ofcourse you didn't find it disrespectful because you dont understand it. You're not where we came from. That's why on my original comment i literally gave an example on me saying the N word. I never really understood until now why black people will be mad. But its plain simple. If its disrespeful to them, respect it and don't say the word. 
 

Lol first you really didn't understand, then you accussed me of having a deeper issue. And said that i actively looking for reason to feel offended? Hahahaha. Suit your self. I don't even have to explain myself anymore. You may not understand, but i don't mind. Good day :)

Link to post
On 10/8/2020 at 9:47 PM, mihailtodorovsky said:

She apologized and said that she didn't know it was a Hadith tho.. Also It might be her teams fault as well.

Yea i know. Its all cool now since she apologized. 🙃

  • Dislike 1
Link to post
12 hours ago, uzer26 said:

Dude/lady say what you want. Ofcourse you didn't find it disrespectful because you dont understand it. You're not where we came from. That's why on my original comment i literally gave an example on me saying the N word. I never really understood until now why black people will be mad. But its plain simple. If its disrespeful to them, respect it and don't say the word. 
 

Lol first you really didn't understand, then you accussed me of having a deeper issue. And said that i actively looking for reason to feel offended? Hahahaha. Suit your self. I don't even have to explain myself anymore. You may not understand, but i don't mind. Good day :)

Again, you’re conflating derogatory behaviors with the sole purpose of causing targeted hurt and offense with lyrics to a song that weren’t intended to hurt or offend anyone. Therein lies the difference between being a perpetually butthurt snowflake who is constantly offended over everything and anything and someone with a genuine reason to be offended. 
Directly insulting someone’s mother or calling a black person the N word is for the sole purpose of hurting that person. Was that Rihanna’s intent? Obviously not. Was she targeting Muslims with derogatory words? Obviously not. Calling a black person the N word is in no way comparable to some random religious words being included in a song played at a fashion show. 
Also, I fully understand religion, I just choose to not subscribe to fantasy and instead live in the real world. 
What negative impact did this fashion show have on your daily life/health/religious beliefs? Just curious. 
 

  • Like 1
Link to post

People who practice that religion are entitled to being offended by this. I do believe that  anyone can say whatever they feel about any religion, and that it is valid for artists to use religious icons to make a statement WHEN THEY DO IT WITH A PURPSE.

Rihanna's team did not even know what they were doing, and their ignorance on this subject ended up offending people.

I think it's great that she decided to address it. Let's hope people see this as an oportunity to let others learn and grow. 

  • Like 1
Link to post

I think she's apologizing for this, because it's still her smaller 'crime'.

This was more rude: "This is not the first time Rihanna has done something like this. Back in 2020 she went to a mosque wearing tight clothes and a so called hijab and posed there inappropriately and posted the pictures looking at Muslim women wearing hijab and saying "***** stole my look".

screen-shot-2013-11-07-at-9-03-32-am-1.j

Link to post
On 10/6/2020 at 12:47 AM, Hooked-On-Knee said:
On 10/6/2020 at 12:13 AM, Arckangel said:

It's totally normal, but we're now being told it's wrong. If so, much art should be deleted, and artists would be severely limited in their expression. For all of these reasons (and the examples shown above), I believe Rihanna (or any other artist) should be entitled to utilize elements from the Middle East like stylish-mask or Islam if they want in their work. I'm sure Rihanna and her team meant no offence at all. As an artist, I want the same freedom Madonna, Ozzy Osbourne and Marilyn Manson have enjoyed for so long.

 

i totally agree with you in this.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block