This Day in Pop: Gimme More music video premieres in 2007 (October 5)

• Super Moderators

gimmemore.jpg.22cb8597fdb0ea5848c218a68f166eec.jpg

On October 5, 2007 Britney Spears officially released her Gimme More music video through the iTunes store, after having leaked the day before. It debuted on October 8 on TRL and other outlets.

It was directed by Jake Sarfaty and it was filmed on July 19, 2007 in Los Angeles.

An alternative version with unseen footage leaked in 2011.

• Love 7

I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

One of her most ICONIC songs ever, but the video is.... :pieceofwhat_britney_awkward:

It felt like the white country woman's version of a Jersey Shore night out

snooki gifs Page 23 | WiffleGif

but was right on brand for her 2007/2008 era.

As a B-Army member, I can confidently look back and love that she was still COMPLETELY in control of her career and vision for what she wanted. It sucks that the one project that was totally hers is the still THE fan favorite as well as the highest critically acclaimed for her artistry, but not financially a success, so after the CON she's back to having people decide her album tracks and what gets released as singles. 

• Haha 1
  • Super Moderators

L E G E N D A R Y. 

I genuinely love this video. The editing and whole vibe fits the song perfectly. I love the colors. I love the rebelliousness too, and Britney looks hot. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

#FreeBritney

• Exhale+

Well I mean the video isn't anything special but I must confess I had a hard-on watching it for the first time back in the day so erm yeah :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

I quite like the video now because of what it stands for - rebellion against her sweetheart image, her blonde public persona, the shy kind girl with minimal opinion. I like the flavour of it all. :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

I'm still daydreaming about a live performance of Britney on a pole singing Gimme more - getting into that persona on stage would be great, I think.:jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek: It can have a message as well but let's leave my imagination for another thread. :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile:

Song's a bop and the video is iconic as trashy as it might be.:katybelt_perry_witness_yelling_singing:

• Love 5

I hated the video when it first premiered but I’ve grown to love it now. Its trippy and hypnotic much like the song.

Plus she looks like she’s having the most fun she’s ever had in any video.

SolidDapperHoneyeater-max-1mb.gif

That being said I’ll always be curious about the original premise based on what the MJ impersonator said about it.

• Love 1

i remember when the original concept leaked and it was supposed to be about a funeral and had this dark story going on and then watching it for the first time and being like :squintney_britney_confused_huh_what_umm_ok_glory: 

the scenes that leaked in 2011 were literally my fav part of the video :nochillbrit_britney_impatient_2008_annoyed_irritated_nope_smh_head_shaking_my_ftr_for_the_record_circus:  

• Love 1

I’m planning to remake a new upscale of Gimme More (without storyline modifications like I did last time, it will be the classic music video) in 4K, with some uncut scenes that many never saw :neydedance_purple:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
Just now, Cassyls said:

I never really understood the part of blonde britney in this video :umsaywhat_adele_hmm_umm_thinking_confused_unsure:but I still love it cos britney looks HOT AF and I love anything blackout

:pumped_britney_excited_yay_pumped:

In my opinion, I think the blonde is just seeing the men, here is my reimagined edit to understand my point of view with my own cut:

The story is basically Britney enjoying with her friends in the club, and when she is returning, she see that men and want to seduce him by dancing with her friends another day as Brunette Britney (her friends laugh with her as they like the idea). Britney in her bed, she is still thinking about him and decide to join the club and dance with her friends.

• Super Moderators

I understand where people are coming from when they say that the song deserved more (like a high-budget video), but I think you’re missing the point.

Gimme More is literally about people always wanting more. At this time in her life, Britney was desperately trying to rid herself of everything she had represented before: blonde, puppet, pop star, perfect, etc. Instead of giving us a high-budget video like Toxic with a ton of costumes, makeup, sets, production, storyline, etc., she gave us a single set, 2 outfits, 2 looks, no storyline, just her with black hair improv dancing and letting loose in a trashy outfit. She was no longer letting herself live by the standards everyone else had set for her.

Like others have said, the editing and look of the video is hypnotic. The whole vibe of the video (as well as the editing) fits the song perfectly. I always find the video so entertaining to watch, especially when you realize it only has one set. It deserves more appreciation. :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

• Love 2
  • Like 1

#FreeBritney

• Super Moderators
10 hours ago, Cassyls said:

I never really understood the part of blonde britney in this video :umsaywhat_adele_hmm_umm_thinking_confused_unsure:but I still love it cos britney looks HOT AF and I love anything blackout

:pumped_britney_excited_yay_pumped:

I mean, only Britney could answer if there was a deeper meaning behind it, but in plain terms, like just looking at the video without getting philosophical, I think the blonde Britney is supposed to be the real Britney, and the brunette one is supposed to be like someone else, like the stripper of the club. Like a character.

I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean