This Day in Pop: Britney receives the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award at the VMA's 2011 (August 28)

• Super Moderators

2011.jpg.a5675fe82ff8107a802be34d554cfe42.jpg 014.jpg

On August 28, 2011 the VMA's were held at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles. Britney Spears received the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award for her influence and impact in music.

The award was presented by Lady Gaga in her character of Jo Calderone, giving an introductory speech which was followed by a medley performance by a group of girl dancers, featuring Britney's most iconic outfits throughout her music video career.

021.jpg

Britney and Gaga had a moment of silence onstage, where they exchanged looks while making the audience believe they were gonna kiss (as a reference to Britney and Madonna's kiss in 2003) only for Britney to interrupt saying she "had done that already"

tumblr_n9cc4mY0f91sm3z2xo1_250.gif

Together they proceeded to introduce Beyoncé's performance :boredashell:

That night, Britney also won Best Pop Video for Till the World Ends

The same video was also nominated for Best Choreography, but lost to Beyoncé's Run the World (Girls).

234.jpg

252.jpg

014.jpg

026.jpg

022.jpg

021.jpg

038.jpg

187.jpg

258.jpg

003.jpg

015.jpg

007.jpg

022.jpg

038.jpg

007.jpg

002.jpg

009.jpg

• Love 8

I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

aww cant believe its been almost 10 years!

Hmm there was so much gossip around this tribute. Stories about Selena, Miley and Demi singing her songs on stage, also some stories about her dancers doing a very complicated tribute (they end up doing the MATM choreo in a youtube video, and calling it "their tribute" :unbelievableney:).

In retrospective i find the perfomance kinda CUTE :makeitrain:

Spoiler

But not as spectacular as other vanguard tributes/performances :fakecry:

• Love 3
  • Like 2
  • Super Moderators
20 minutes ago, Barajas said:

aww cant believe its been almost 10 years!

Hmm there was so much gossip around this tribute. Stories about Selena, Miley and Demi singing her songs on stage, also some stories about her dancers doing a very complicated tribute (they end up doing the MATM choreo in a youtube video, and calling it "their tribute" :unbelievableney:).

In retrospective i find the perfomance kinda CUTE :makeitrain:

Hide contents

But not as spectacular as other vanguard tributes/performances :fakecry:

I do remember the Miley, Selena and Demi rumors :yesokay:

I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

The last Vanguard Award that MTV paid homage to the artist. When you look at the list of recipients theres only legends, minus Justin Timberlake. Theres nothing in his videography that screams iconic :mj: Her reactions were so cute :cuteidk:  When is Christina's and Gaga's by the way? :badthoughts:

• Love 1
  • Like 4

Those little Britney girls were really amazing! :yeahhh:

But I was really devastated when her winning speech turned into presenting Beyonce.

I was expecting for "Wow, I never knew I made a lot of videos already, thank you so much to my fans!"

but what we got was "she can sing, dance, act, she's a triple threat." :wtfdidusay:

• Love 3
  • Like 3
  • Exhale+

I've always thought the tribute was great, I love that they incorporated her chorography and iconic looks :) the megamix they used is also a bop :bop:

It will always be a missed opportunity that she herself didn't perform though, I would have loved for 2016ney to have gotten the award tbh :mhm:

• Love 5

I wanna get in the zone 💎

I’ll never forgive Britney and Larry for Britney introducing Beyonce during Britney’s Vanguard Award moment. Pathetic. I’m sure the idea came from Beyonce, having Britney her announce really tingled Bey’s thingy it seems.

• Haha 3
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, DougFrmBrazil said:

VMA always had higher ratings with Britney on. If I'm not wrong the 2011 VMA was one of the highest of VMA history and also the last one. Now, the award is just an away shadow from their "glory" years.

2011 VMA is still highest

• Love 2