This Day in Pop: Britney performs with Madonna, Christina Aguilera and Missy Elliott at the VMA's 2003 (August 28)

• Super Moderators

2003.jpg.f70d1efa281e6c384aae8358001df3b0.jpg

08.jpg

On August 28, 2003, the VMA's were hosted at the Radio City Music Hall in New York City. To open the show, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera performed together Madonna's classic hit Like a Virgin, and were later joined by Madonna herself to perform Hollywood. In the middle of the performance, Madonna kissed Britney and then Christina, going down in history as one of the most iconic moments of the VMA's and awards shows in general. Missy Elliott then appeared onstage to perform her song Work It, and then the four together will close the performance with Hollywood again.

007.jpg

018.jpg

051.jpg

058.jpg

081.jpg

94.jpg

003.jpg

64.jpg

Sadly, MTV's YouTube channel has made the official video private amid the upcoming 2020 ceremony, so here's another low quality version of the performance:

Britney also had a nomination that night for Best Video from a Film, for Boys (Co-Ed Remix) ft. Pharrell Williams, but lost to Eminem's Lose Yourself.

027.jpg

034.jpg

10_28229.jpg

09_28229.jpg

06_28229.jpg

• Love 8

I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This moment was deemed legendary right after it happened. It was huge. I remember everyone talking about it at school the next day. And the VMA's was never iconic again

I managed to see this live on TV by pure happenstance the night my family had moved across the country and settled in with my aunt. Her room had the only TV and my cousin was watching the live VMA and

Also can't forget the iconic audience shots... I won't mention the most obvious. - Avril Lavigne and Kelly Osbourne judging - The Queer Eye crew fangirling - Mary J Blige confused

Posted Images

Just now, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

Anyway it’s super iconic. I wonder that GenZ Kids think about it. I’m often CURIOUS as to what they think  about the many huge pop culture moments that have happened over the years.  

I'll speak for myself but watching it wasn't really a "wow" for me, the kiss wasn't that surprising? Probs cause I live in a generation where seeing two straight girls kiss on TV would not very be that unexpected. :gloria:

Still iconic though, 

• Love 3
  • Exhale+
7 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

I'll speak for myself but watching it wasn't really a "wow" for me, the kiss wasn't that surprising? Probs cause I live in a generation where seeing two straight girls kiss on TV would not very be that unexpected. :gloria:

Still iconic though, 

I’m Newly 30..  :yesokay:   Back in 2003 gay wasn’t really okay so much in the media and what a lot of people were told what was decent in public. You know, it was all a bunch of negative energy. Everyone was really shocked to see it, regardless of if they were fans or not. I thought it was cool and very Punk of Britney to do something like that live. My parents Did Not like it at all. My dad said he drew the line at Britney.  :haha:   Dad, you’re a  :flop: !!  :ohwut:

• Love 7
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

If you can't say I LOVE YOU, then say nothing at all...

1 minute ago, Mgmgmgmg said:

Also can't forget the iconic audience shots... I won't mention the most obvious.

- Avril Lavigne and Kelly Osbourne judging

- The Queer Eye crew fangirling

- Mary J Blige confused

- Beyonce enjoying it

- Eminem applauding!

INCONIQUE

Don't forget Snoop Dogg's reactions. :jj:

• Love 1
  • Haha 3
  • Super Moderators

This was when I stanned both Britney and Christina almost equally and I was SHOOKETH and probably one of the happiest memories I have. The next day EVERYONE was talking to me about it cause they knew I was “obsessed” with them both :riri:

• Love 2
  • Like 2

🍻Intoxicate me, I’m a lush🍻

• Exhale+
56 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Still iconic though, 

Same lol :drinky:

• Love 1

🥀 𝔯𝔢𝔟𝔢𝔩𝔩𝔦𝔬𝔫 🥀

1 hour ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Still iconic though, 

IDK. I'm 23.  I'm a bisexual girl and even so, I watched this performance again last week and I think this is ICONIC :blast: I almost ran out of breath at the time of the kiss. It is very shocking. Not because it's a homosexual kiss, but because it's Madonna and Britney Spears.:gloria:

Btw, I wanted to be Madonna that day.

• Love 3
  • Like 1