Female Artists of the 21st Century: YEAR 2000 EDITION

FEMALE ARTISTS OF THE THE 21ST CENTURY: YEAR 2000 EDITION   

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello Exhale, @DEAR DIARY STAN here! :chrissy: So I thought I'd lead a new fun and interactive game on Exhale after being inspired by @CrazyButItFeelsAllright! kYZgKWe.jpg

For one, it can be a great music history refresher and two -- it will be a great way for any pop music fans (or music fans general) to discover / re-discover some music that had a significant impact from some of the most successful female artists of each year over the span of the last 20 years.

What I have done is gathered the 20 biggest female (and male / group) artists from each pertaining year by taking into factors like album/record sales, awards, tour gross, chart success, streaming, worldwide impact, influence and relevancy. Next to each artist will include their most commercially successful single from that respective year. For example, Oops I Did It Again was Britney's most successful song from the year 2000, therefore Lucky and Stronger will not be included in the poll. Make sure to vote for YOUR personal favorite song and if for whatever reason, you haven't heard a song that's featured on the list, feel free to give it a listen as I will link them in the spoilers below. kYZgKWe.jpg 

If these threads are a hit and don't flop, I will continue going all the way up until the year 2019. Not gonna lie, it was a lot of work to make this thread but that's what boredom does to me and I hope it pays off for any avid music stans like myself. :kylie:

Let's begin. kylie.gif 

Aaliyah in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - Try Again

Spoiler

• Her smash hit Try Again was a worldwide commercial success and became one of the best-selling songs of the year 2000. It was also her first Billboard Hot 100 #1 hit. 
  • Aaliyah was also featured as a leading actress in the motion-picture film Romeo Must Die, debuting at #2 at the U.S. box office
  • Was nominated for 3 MTV VMAs where she won the Award for Best Female Video

Britney Spears in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - Oops!... I Did It Again

Spoiler

• Spears released her sophomore studio album, Oops!... I Did It Again, setting the tone for bubblegum pop and solidifying herself as a bonafide pop icon. The album broke the SoundScan record for having the biggest first-week sales by a female artist selling over 1.3 million copies in its first week and spawned 3 worldwide hits. It was the second best selling album in the U.S. of the year 2000 and would eventually go on to be certified diamond by the RIAA. As of date, the album has sold roughly 19-22 million copies worldwide. Oops!... I Did It Again went on to be the second biggest single of the year 2000 reaching #1 in over 17 countries and became a pop culture phenomenon.
  • Spears received 2 GRAMMY Award nominations, Best New Artist and Best Female Pop Performance. Spears also performed at that year's ceremony. 
  • Spears was also nominated for 3 AMAs, 5 BBMAs, 2 Brit Awards, 4 MTV VMAs and 2 WMAs. She won 1 AMA, 2 BBMAs and 2 WMAs. Her 2000 VMA performance became one of the show's most iconic and controversial performances in its history.
  • Embarked on a North American tour, followed by her first international tour, the Oops!... I Did It Again Tour. Spears had the 10th highest grossing tour of the year 2000 and the third highest grossing tour by a female solo artist.
  • Released her first book, Heart to Heart co-written with her mother
  • Spears became the youngest artist in history to be a Saturday Night Live host and musical guest
  • Covered RollingStone Magazine
  • Ended the year 2000 as the most popular search term on the Internet  

Celine Dion in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - I Want You To Need Me 

Spoiler

• Starting off the new millennium, Dion's All The Way...A Decade of Song continued to be an international success throughout the year. As of date, the album has sold about 22 million copies worldwide. 
  • Despite this being her 'hiatus' year, Dion released two compilation albums, The Early Singles and The Collector's Series, Volume On
  • Nominated for 2 BBMAs, 1 GRAMMY Award and 1 WMA. Dion won the WMA for World's Best Selling Female Pop Artist of the Year. 

Christina Aguilera in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - What a Girl Wants 

Spoiler

• The singer spawned 3 U.S. Top 10s, including 2 #1s in the year 2000 from her debut, Christina Aguilera, released in 1999
  • Received 2 GRAMMY Award nominations, including Best New Artist and Best Female Pop Performance. Aguilera ultimately won the prestigious award that year for Best New Artist. She was also nominated at the first annual Latin GRAMMY Awards that year.
  • Aguilera was also nominated for 4 BBMAs, 5 MTV VMAs, and 1 WMA. She won 1 BBMA for Top Female Artist and 1 WMA for Best-Selling New Female Artist.
  • Embarked on her first concert tour, Christina Aguilera in Concert
  • Covered RollingStone Magazine
  • Aguilera released a Spanish album, Mi Reflejo which topped the Billboard Top Latin Albums for 19 consecutive weeks and was certified 6x platinum in the Latin field by the RIAA. She also recorded a Christmas album, My Kind of Christmas.   

Faith Hill in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - The Way You Love Me

Spoiler

• Hill's 1999 title track Breathe became one of the most successful songs of the year 2000 and eventually became the #1 single of the year 2000 on the Year-End Billboard Hot 100 list. The album, also titled Breathe, would go on to be certified 8x platinum by the RIAA, selling almost 10 million copies worldwide.
  • Notable performances from that year include the 2000 GRAMMYs, 2000 Academy Awards and performing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl Halftime Ceremony.
  • Hill embarked on the Soul2Soul Tour with husband and country a-list star, Tim McGraw. The tour ranked at #5 for being the highest-grossing tour that year raking in nearly $50 million dollars. 
  • Breathe, both song and album would go on to win 2 GRAMMY Awards for Best Female Country Vocal Performance and Best Country Album in 2001. Hill was also nominated for 9 BBMAs and 1 AMA, winning a total of 4.

Janet Jackson in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - Doesn't Really Matter  

Spoiler

• Received a GRAMMY nomination for her 1999 hit single with Busta Rhymes, What's It Gonna Be!? Jackson also opened up the 2000 VMAs that year.
  • Jackson appeared as a leading actress in the motion-picture film, Nutty Professor II: The Klumps, opening at #1 at the U.S. box offic
  • The song featured in the film's soundtrack, Doesn't Really Matter, achieved worldwide success and became Jackson's 9th #1 single on the Billboard Hot 100. 

Jennifer Lopez in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - Love Don't Cost a Thing 

Spoiler

• At the 2000 GRAMMYS, Lopez generated controversy and media attention after wearing a green Versace silk chiffon dress on the show's red carpet. The subsequent explosion of internet searches for J-Lo being downloaded would soon become the inspiration for Google Images.
  • Despite not releasing an album in the year 2000, Lopez continued to expand as a household name and she returned to the big-screen starring in the psychological motion-picture thriller The Cell
  • Was a musical guest on Saturday Night Live
  • Nominated for 2 AMAs, 3 BRIT Awards, 1 GRAMMY Award, 2 Latin GRAMMY Awards and 2 MTV VMAs. Lopez won a MTV VMA that year for Best Dance Video. She also won a BAMBI Award for Best International Pop Performance.  

Jessica Simpson in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - I Think I'm in Love with You 

Spoiler

• By the year 2000, Simpson's debut album from 1999, Sweet Kisses was certified 2× Platinum by the RIAA and Gold in Japan
  • Simpson received a BBMA nomination for Top New Artist but lost to Sisqó 

Kylie Minogue in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - Spinnin' Around

Spoiler

• Released an art book titled Kylie
  • Minogue also released her seventh studio album, Light Years, becoming a commercial success. It was her first #1 album in Australia and the lead single debuted atop the UK Singles Chart making her only the second artist to have a UK #1 single in 3 consecutive decades. The album would spawn a total of 4 UK Top 10 hits
  • Minogue performed at the closing ceremonies of the 2000 Sydney Olympics that year. Her performance received massive praise and is often referred to as one of the most memorable closing ceremonies in the event's history 
  • Appeared on RollingStone Magazine Australia  

Lil' Kim in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - How Many Licks?

Spoiler

• After being sponsored and modeling for various fashion companies including Candie's, Versace, Iceberg and Baby Phat, Lil' Kim had transitioned into a fashion icon and hip-hop mogul
  • Lil' Kim released her sophomore album, The Notorious K.I.M. and was certified platinum by the RIAA 4 weeks just after its release.  

Macy Gray in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - Still 

Spoiler

• After the success of her worldwide hit, I Try, Gray's debut album from 1999, On How Life Is, became a multi-platinum selling CD all over the world and throughout the year 2000
  • Gray received 2 GRAMMY Award nominations, Best New Artist and Best Female R&B Vocal Performance but lost both. Subsequently, she won 2 BRIT Awards and 2 MTV VMAs.
  • Was a musical guest on Saturday Night Live 

Madonna in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - Music 

Spoiler

• Starred in the motion-picture film, The Next Best Thing, as a lead actress opening at #2 at the North American box office
  • Infusing elements of folktronica and dance-pop, Madonna released her eighth studio album, Music. The album received critical appraise and took #1 in more than 20 countries worldwide, becoming her first #1 album in the U.S. since Like a Prayer. The album spawned 3 worldwide hits and Music becoming the biggest hit single of 2000, reaching #1 in over 17 countries. As of date, the album has sold about 11 million copies worldwide.
  • Nominated for a Golden Globe, 2 GRAMMY Awards and 1 MTV VMA. Madonna won the GRAMMY Award that year for Best Song Written for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media.
  • Madonna also broke the Guinness World Record for Most Successful Female Solo Artist and Most Downloaded Woman on the Internet

Mandy Moore in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - I Wanna Be with You

Spoiler

• Riding the wave of the teen pop phenomenon, Moore released her sophomore album I Wanna Be with You just less than 6 months after her debut, So Real in December of 1999.
  • While sales were underwhelming, Moore still managed to receive some buzz as a pop princess and became one of the most searched female artists of the year 2000 

Mariah Carey in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)

Spoiler

• After receiving Billboard's Artist of the Decade Award and the World Music Award for Best-Selling Female Artist of the Millennium, Carey embarked on her sold-out Rainbow World Tour shortly after
  • At the 2000 American Music Awards, Carey was honored with an Achievement Award and later received an honoree as the Best Selling Female Artist of the Millennium at the World Music Awards. Carey also received a GRAMMY nomination.

Mary J. Blige in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - Your Child 

Spoiler

• By the year 2000, Blige's fourth studio album, Mary (1999), was certified double platinum
  • Following its success, Blige embarked on her North American tour, The Mary Tour Show
  • Blige was nominated for a GRAMMY Award and was honored with the Sammy Davis Jr. Award for Entertainer of the Year at the 2000 Soul Train Awards 

Melanie C in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - I Turn To You (Hex Hector Radio Mix) 

Spoiler

• Former Spice Girl, Mel-C achieved overnight success when her singles Never Be the Same Again and I Turn To You rose to #1 in several countries, becoming best-sellers of the year 2000.
  • Embarked on a 76 show international tour
  • In late 2000, Mel-C reunited with Spice Girls once more to release their third album, Forever, which sold nearly 5 million copies worldwide 

P!nk in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - There You Go 

Spoiler

• Spawning 2 Billboard Top 10 hits, P!nk's debut effort Can't Take Me Home was released in the spring of 2000. The album was certified double platinum by the RIAA and would go on to sell over 4 million copies worldwide. 
  • Throughout the summer of 2000, Pink became the opening act for the North American leg of NSYNC's No Strings Attached Tour which allowed her to reach a more widespread audience
  • P!nk won a BBMA for Best New Pop Artist and was nominated for an MTV VMA for Best New Artist 

Shania Twain in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - I'm Holdin' On to Love (To Save My Life) 

Spoiler

• Following the groundbreaking success of Come On Over, Twain decided to take some time off in the year 2000 but that didn't stop her from being a continued hot topic and receiving acclaim from across the world
  • Twain won 2 AMAs, 2 GRAMMY Awards and was nominated for a BBMA 

Tina Turner in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - Whatever You Need 

Spoiler

• After releasing her 10th studio album in 1999, Twenty Four Seven, Turner embarked on a 121-show international tour. The Twenty Four Seven Tour eventually became the highest-grossing tour of 2000, raking in over $100 million and beating out boy-band sensation NSYNC. 

Toni Braxton in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - He Wasn't Man Enough 

Spoiler

• Braxton released her third studio album The Heat, eventually going double platinum and selling 4 million copies worldwide. The worldwide hit, He Wasn't Man Enough, received critical acclaim and would eventually go on to win a GRAMMY Award.
  • In addition, Braxton won a BBMA for Female R&B Artist of the Year and was nominated for 2 MTV VMAs in the year 2000.

Whitney Houston in the year 2000: BIGGEST HIT - Could I Have This Kiss Forever

Spoiler

• In the spring of 2000, Whitney: The Greatest Hits was released worldwide reaching the Top 10 in many countries. The greatest hits album, which included 4 new songs, was certified 3x platinum in the U.S. and accumulated worldwide sales of nearly 10 million copies.
  • Houston was nominated for 4 AMAs, 1 BRIT Award and 4 GRAMMY Awards, winning a GRAMMY Award for Best Female R&B Performance at the 2000 ceremony. 
  • At the 2000 Soul Train Music Awards, she was awarded The Female Artist of the Decade for extraordinary artistic contributions during the 1990s decade.

64E34381-2611-4478-8D69-EB764732FCA1.jpeg.b8227abd05988ccf45d1e8a585c00c6f.jpeg

• Love 5
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello Exhale, @DEAR DIARY STAN here!  So I thought I'd lead a new fun and interactive game on Exhale after being inspired by @CrazyButItFeelsAllright!  For one, it can be a great music history re

Not you coming for my wig 

WHERE IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS BEYONCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, Towelney said:

Didn’t you already post this lol? :zoomzoom:

Spider-Man GIF by memecandy

that's what happens when exhale starts glitching :fakecry: 

45 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Not you coming for my wig :gloriascary:

i could never  :fakecry: 

20 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Oops but Try Again is a close second :barbie:

period't :fakecry: 

15 minutes ago, Iconic 4 U said:

I'm gonna go for He Wasn't Man Enough this time :goat:

that song is sooo good :yesplease: 

2000 really had the bops fr fr :fakewow:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1
  • Super Moderators
38 minutes ago, DEAR DIARY STAN said:

I ended up adding her anyway but not on the poll because I wouldn't even know who to take out and am scared it's going to reset if I do tiffsniffle.gif  If I had to tho, I would replace her with Mandy?? She was kinda local in 2000, no? 

Yeah Mandy was undeservedly local only :kyliecry:

🍻Intoxicate me, I’m a lush🍻

8 hours ago, Towelney said:

I like Oops and Try Again the best :bop:

But why isn’t Try Again on Apple Music? :(

Agreed, love them both :mimiclap: And I think it has something to do with her uncle refusing to release her music on streaming :fakecry: Her discography is truly immaculate and it’s really a shame to see how inaccessible it is

6 hours ago, Style. said:

I voted Oops. The only right answer. Who is Mandy Moore tho? :shameless:What has she done? :shameless: 

A Golden Globe nominee and THREE time Teen Choice Awards winner with song of the millennium, In My Pocket under her belt :shameless: 

And Ms. Spears? :shameless: 

6 hours ago, bliss said:

He Wasn't Man Enough, absolute banger  :duadance: 

Such a good song :yesplease: 

5 hours ago, VCTR said:

Okay but "In My Pocket" slays everything ever and Jordan will agree.

tumblr_njx40ndT4Y1s8ghqso2_250.gif

Where are the lies :shameless: 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1