Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which Britney singles did you think were going to be a hit, but did worse than expected? Vice versa?

2 hours ago, PickleSpears said:

OIDIA was pretty huge but I thought it would hit #1.

Did hit No.1 here in the UK ;) 

Aww, you shouldn’t have 🙈💎

I was so innocent when I was a kid

I though songs like Crazy, Lucky, Stronger, Slave, Overprotected were official number ones... I based my knowledge in MTV weekly top 10 

Make Me for obvious reasons.

The song was picking up then started to fall, the vma performance picked the song back up and radio started playing it more, but then the video came and destroyed any chances to keep fans and general people interested. A shame, the song still holds up to this day, its a good tune. The official audio on YouTube has 32mil views, and the comments back then were praising the beat, her voice, the lyrics, everything.

Omg a lot of till the world end hate in here! TTWE was played every second on the radio in 2011. It wasn’t a “I got a feeling “ type hit but it was still a hit. 

songs that I thought would do better!? I thought Make Me was going to be Top 10 after billboard had early predictions saying it was going to debut top 10, I thought criminal would have been a top 20 for her for sure. She really was a radio force in 2011 . I thought pretty girls was going to do top 10 as well LOL. Slumber party - I was ready for a top 40 for it and it clearly didn’t.

on the other aspect - Work ***** became  iconic as hell and even more memorable than all of the FF singles etc. scream and shout was a worldwide smash. I didn’t think 3 would be #1 . 

I think I’m most bitter about Make Me not doing top 10 because Britney really loved Glory unlikes previous albums 

3 hours ago, WorkBishStan94 said:

I didn’t think 3 would be #1 . 

I thought it would be #3 :tongueney:

13 hours ago, pieceofbritUK said:

* I am picking FF era as that was the last "era" we've had with multiple singles, and the previous eras were quite successful *

I thought it would do well but didn't: Till The World Ends. When I heard the first 10 seconds (I don't know if you guys remember that 10 seconds release they did of all Ff songs) I thought "this is a banger and will stay relevant forever, it's the new toxic" and then it just wasn't this massive hit that destroyed careers

The opposite: I wanna go. I felt like "yeah okay s'alright I guess", and I still hear it on the radio sometimes :cheese:

TTWE was a hit what do you mean? :cheese:

🍻Intoxicate me, I’m a lush🍻

11 hours ago, princessmimi said:

I thought that Slumber Party would've been a hit considering it had that tropical beat that was popular in 2015-2016

It also had one of her best videos ever!

Im ashamed at fans who didnt even bother buying or streaming it.

I definitely think it would've at least been in a top 20 hit

Me too. I think Slumber Party could have done better if it was released earlier (like August?) and promoted better. Make Me did decent with the little promo they did.

i feel like if SP was performed at the AMAs like rumored it would’ve done slightly better. It really deserved better. All my nonfan friends really like it

• Love 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, studlygeorge said:

Me too. I think Slumber Party could have done better if it was released earlier (like August?) and promoted better. Make Me did decent with the little promo they did.

i feel like if SP was performed at the AMAs like rumored it would’ve done slightly better. It really deserved better. All my nonfan friends really like it

SP doesn't sound like a Britney Spears song, that's (imo) why it underperformed. 

11 hours ago, blackoutbixxh said:

All of her singles released from ITZ I thought would have charted better. Britney was the biggest name in music at the time and none of her singles reflected that. MATM only peaked at #35 even though it featured Madonna coming off of their controversial VMA kiss. Everytime publicly addressed the JT breakup and only peaked at #15. Toxic is arguably one of her most widely known songs and still only reached #9. The whole era should have done better :sobbing: 

But thats just in the US, right? Otherwise, the Whole ITZ era was HUGE internationally. MATM peaked at No.1 for 4 weeks in United world charts, Toxic was No.1 for 5 weeks straight and EVEN everytime was No.1 for 1 week.

1 minute ago, Blackout2006 said:

But thats just in the US, right? Otherwise, the Whole ITZ era was HUGE internationally. MATM peaked at No.1 for 4 weeks in United world charts, Toxic was No.1 for 5 weeks straight and EVEN everytime was No.1 for 1 week.

It did. In Europe MATM was a hit and Toxic was huge, even Everytime was big. In the US it was all about urban/rnb songs around this era, and for a song to chart well you had to have airplay support since there was no streaming at the time yet. #9 is quite impressive for a POP song at the time !

Here is how the Top 9 looked like (No pop artist in sight)

Capture.png

2 minutes ago, YannFrance said:

It did. In Europe MATM was a hit and Toxic was huge, even Everytime was big. In the US it was all about urban/rnb songs around this era, and for a song to chart well you had to have airplay support since there was no streaming at the time yet. #9 is quite impressive for a POP song at the time !

Here is how the Top 9 looked like (No pop artist in sight)

Capture.png

Yeah, even tho the album was very hip-hop/rnb element oriented, the singles didnt represent that. Also, not to mention that Britney was under a severe radio-ban because she didnt team up with clear channel for the DWAD tour, so to hit No.9 was pretty accomplishing. The song itself was, the fifth best-selling song of 2004 and best-selling female song of 2004. Everytime was the 13th best-selling song of 2004 selling 4 million units. And, MATM already sold 5 million units within 2003-2004.

7 hours ago, Hungry Hun said:

Make Me for obvious reasons.

The song was picking up then started to fall, the vma performance picked the song back up and radio started playing it more, but then the video came and destroyed any chances to keep fans and general people interested. A shame, the song still holds up to this day, its a good tune. The official audio on YouTube has 32mil views, and the comments back then were praising the beat, her voice, the lyrics, everything.

Except the video came out before the VMA performance happened. 

2 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Yeah, even tho the album was very hip-hop/rnb element oriented, the singles didnt represent that. Also, not to mention that Britney was under a severe radio-ban because she didnt team up with clear channel for the DWAD tour, so to hit No.9 was pretty accomplishing. The song itself was, the fifth best-selling song of 2004 and best-selling female song of 2004. Everytime was the 13th best-selling song of 2004 selling 4 million units. And, MATM already sold 5 million units within 2003-2004.

This. Also I think the ban actually got lifted by the time Toxic was released.

Pretty much 65% of her singles. Britney only has five number one singles and a lot of them didn’t chart top five. It just goes to show that numbers don’t matter as much as people think. You can get a number one with the lowest sales in a time when no one else is releasing. A lot of her tunes are remembered as classics regardless. Maybe not 2015 and on as much but she took a seat at that point with Vegas. Scream and Shout was her last major massive hit. The XFactor was great promotion. Work ***** is her last impactful hit but again I think those songs also only had as much impact as they did because she’s milked the **** out of the word ***** lol. Britney ***** is now a forever term. 

HIAM its my fave recent memory lead single of hers. And with its debute HIAM was shaping to be insanely huge (huge sales,radio records,hype in media/fan world). In its 3rd week or so we have realized something is wrong,and that it looks like she abandoned the song. So yup JiAM is the song I thought is gonna be insanely huge.

Whilst I adore S&S today (and later in 2014). I did not expect it to be one of her biggest songs/hits.

:yaknow:

4 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

TTWE was a hit what do you mean? :cheese:

I'm speaking from a European perspective maybe. It didn't get much radio play nor stayed relevant after few years, as I thought it would

I thought HIAM would of performed better in the UK

Slightly OT but I remember when WB came out and my first impression was WTF, after a few plays I already liked it. I always thought it kinda flopped but apparently it didn’t? I read it was voted the best workout song and I personally think it is a banger and a quite well-known song nowadays, because of its theme and vibe. 
Btw so proud rn, read about Britney’s singles on Wikipedia and we Finns have appreciated them and they have charted here usually higher than elsewhere :cuteidk:

• Love 1
  • Like 1