Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Billboard changes rules for non-manufactured items

Billboard changes rules, no longer counting digital bundles, eliminating the practice of non-manufactured items being used to influence 1st-week chart rankings. This will affect the Hot 100, where it was used as a tactic by artists such as 6ix9ine, Travis Scott, Twenty One Pilots and Justin Bieber.

"Billboard will no longer allow sales of physical albums or singles that are bundled with digital downloads to be reported as digital sales, thereby eliminating the practice of spontaneous non-manufactured items being used to influence first-week chart rankings. Only when the physical item -- ostensibly what the consumer is buying -- is shipped, will it be counted in Billboard’s official tallies"

What do you think about this?

Source: Billboard

bundles.jpg.a16b7e6b3d3ee2a2b2f7832b64c61a43.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 3

Mmmm for me its ok when they try to get the charts, but its no secret that the charts are corrupted.

meh, they already got away with it those that exploited it

I want to show you the different sides of Britney Spears. I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

4 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

meh, they already got away with it those that exploited it

At this point it feels like everything is corrupt. Charts, sales, awards, people in power, government. :(

*Edit- this was meant for @vzlafan sorry for you PokemonSpears

Billboard is a fraud and they should be called out. I find it funny how artists have been using this tactic for YEARS, but the second Nicki joins in they remove it: 

Nicki been calling them out since 2018, but y’all made fun of her accusing her of being a crazy black woman. 

The Barbs remain the head fanbase, the way they did broke Scumboard with Say So and Trollz.... aham :tiffhair:

• Dislike 1
  • Like 2

It’s ok for me, too, ‘cause I don’t really care at this point. I stan the most successful females in the history of pop music. BUT it’s pathetic how artists like Travis Scott and Cardi B have a pass on everything; it irks me. I state obvious (Only)Facts that are in front of our eyes. Let’s open the doors for mediocrity to dominate the music industry when we have TONS of artists who can’t even crack the top 100. :tiffdrink:

Good - the charts should reflect what the country as a whole listens to, not how much a fandom is willing to splurge on ****ty merch. This is for the better. :heresthetea:

• Love 1
  • Like 2

💃🏻 stan of all flop pop girlies 💃🏻

Oh, and remixes should count as separate songs because they literally are. Thank you. :lessons:

💃🏻 stan of all flop pop girlies 💃🏻

The deserve it. Trying to get smart and getting a no,1 is so easy these days :tiffeyeroll:

I'm here for it. It's really a weird practice to claim a #1 on the charts by selling stuff. Like, what? 

• Love 3
  • Like 1

💜 Subscribe to Exhale+ 💙

And what about two discs counting as TWO ALBUMS, BILLBOARD? I'm still not over them taking the number one spot from "Blackout"... MID-WEEK!!! :liar:

• Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Oh, and remixes should count as separate songs because they literally are. Thank you. :lessons:

Technically they do, Google Jlo and The murder remixes, @Jordan Miller can do a Throwback Thursday or flashback Friday thread on that one, it was hugely controversial back then since the original album version flopped of I'm real and it wasn't until the Murder remix (which was a completely different song) that it became popular,  Billboard got called out and they changed the criteria, Billboard getting called out is nothing new. 

7 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

And what about two discs counting as TWO ALBUMS, BILLBOARD? I'm still not over them taking the number one spot from "Blackout"... MID-WEEK!!! :liar:

Billboard doesn't do that, only RIAA does that. 

Example Michael Jackson 's HIStory scanned 4 Million to Soundscan well due to the time lengths of each disc, RIAA multiple that by 2. Thus it's 8X Platinum. 

No, what Billboard did was count store exclusives. Eagles was sold exclusively at Wal Mart, Britney was widely available with a Target exclusive, Eagles sold close to 800K, But it wasn't supposed to change til December well a last minute rule ruined it, everything would have been fine if Perez didn't leak the album to his website. 

@Jordan Miller can tell you Sony music took him to court for damages to this..

However,  I'm still mad Billboard denied The Victorias secret sales of The Spice girls greatest hits album, since they were the exclusive retailer til the storewide January 2008 release date. 

13 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

number one spot from "Blackout"... MID-WEEK!!!

That was straight-up nasty and I hope Billboard gets their Karma :lessons: 

How disgusting of them to count an album only being sold in Walmart for the No.1 than a full-on 12-track studio album :lessons:

And we been knew that if it hit No.1, Billboard would have to give her the record for 7 consecutive albums :lessons:

• Love 1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Example Michael Jackson 's HIStory scanned 4 Million to Soundscan well due to the time lengths of each disc, RIAA multiple that by 2. Thus it's 8X Platinum. 

No, what Billboard did was count store exclusives. Eagles was sold exclusively at Wal Mart, Britney was widely available with a Target exclusive, Eagles sold close to 800K, But it wasn't supposed to change til December well a last minute rule ruined it, everything would have been fine if Perez didn't leak the album to his website. 

However,  I'm still mad Billboard denied The Victorias secret sales of The Spice girls greatest hits album, since they were the exclusive retailer til the storewide January 2008 release date. 

In the end, RIAA is reporting the sales to Billboard because it’s just a chart company

9 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

omh what..................................... I just know about all these details. But to me that's a grave accusation against Perez, is that for real?! Isn't he a (disrespectful) Britney stan? I would be devastated if I knew I stopped the princess of pop (ugh die already Madonna!! ok KIDDING) from getting all consecutive number 1 albums... He should get secutiry now though, I would beat his a ss if I ever saw him.

1 minute ago, Blackout2006 said:

And we been knew that if it hit No.1, Billboard would have to give her the record for 7 consecutive albums :lessons:

ugh YESSS. WE STAN THE BEST!

Finally! No more jock straps sale bundles being counted on the Billboard charts :imacoolmom:

🍻Intoxicate me, I’m a lush🍻

I don't like it! i like tour bundles and different version of albums. I think there should be some kinda of connection between ticket sales and album sales. Like an album should come with a tour discount or a free ticket or maybe sell the albums like half priced at the venues.  There's been such a disconnection from album sales and tour concerts for a decade which makes no sense to industries that can help each other. 

3 hours ago, monkeystar88 said:

I don't like it! i like tour bundles and different version of albums. I think there should be some kinda of connection between ticket sales and album sales. Like an album should come with a tour discount or a free ticket or maybe sell the albums like half priced at the venues.  There's been such a disconnection from album sales and tour concerts for a decade which makes no sense to industries that can help each other. 

Those should keep coming, just not be counted towards Billboard. I think that's what this article is saying.