Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Very Dark Meaning Behind Blackpink's How You Like That M/V

(edited)

Hi ya'll. So the latest Blackpink music video may seem like a bunch of different topics had been thrown into an editing program just to flash people as much as they can and fascinate them. However, I've watched the vid carefully, and with a lot of help from the Internet, I found out that this video is actually very symbolical and VERY dark, making references to imprisonment and suicide K-pop industry idols are greatly impacted by. Imma go ahead and explain :mhm: 

The beginning scene that many misunderstood for an angel (or a fallen angel of some sort) is actually the representation of goddess Nike (the torso of a woman attached to wings). 

eBKwKYz.png

This is a representation of a theater stage and where a Greek God (actors) would be lowered down from up the stage. However, the wings have been added in the video specifically for one reason: furies. Furies were winged creatures who represented the female Goddess of vengeance and they hated men. Eris the Goddess was their mistress, the Goddess of strife. 

This has a lot to do with female empowerement overall. The goddess Nike represented victory, the wings of furies represent war and vengeance, and Eris' biggest enemy was the God Eros, who mostly ruled over men and their sexual emotions. The girls are saying the feminism is rising and is fighting the oppression. 

Moving on to a very important scene in which we have Rose.

NOk4sCF.png

Here we see her being lowered down to the ground in what appears to be a coffin made out of flowers. This scene is extremely symbolical for a couple of reasons.

Greeks believed that wedding and death were very much linked. This is because of goddess Persephone many of you have probably heard a lot about. Persephone was the Goddess of nature and seasons who was kidnapped by Hades, the God of death and the underworld, to be his wife. This gave Persephone a dual role, she was both the Queen of hell, and the Goddess of nature overall. In the end, Persephone convinced Hades to let her back on Earth at least for half a year, which is the period of spring and summer. During Autumn she would be leaving, marking her complete absence from our plain and bringing winter.

This leads us straight to the girls of Blackpink DANCING THEIR WAY THROUGH THE SEASONS.

SPRING

ajBko12.png

SUMMER

7qzP1HD.png

AUTUMN

wu8SBIx.png

WINTER

FMiwKof.png

And here's an image of all the girls dancing in a bunker underground, trying to break through to the outside world:

7u6ebQF.png

It's important to mention that Persephone wasn't destined to be the Queen of Hell, only of nature, but her destiny was chosen by others instead of her. This is often the destiny of kpop girls as well, who do as they're told, not as they wish. 

Moving on to Lisa and a very important scene of hers:

uVoisWF.png

Here we see Lisa next to a falcon. In the Greek Mythology, this bird represents Pheme. She was the winged messenger of Zeus himself, and also the Roman Goddess of rumor, fame, and infamy. She was described as petite, however, as the rumors would begin among a nation, she would grow larger and larger until her wings could cover the whole sky. This is a strong reference to fake rumors about female idols in K-pop and ****-shaming them based on uninformed grounds. In the next scene, the girls are confirming this theory.

LOOK UP IN THE SKY IT'S A BIRD IT'S A PLANE

ZgM0srZ.png

The representation of Pheme covering the sky with her wings due to her power being strong because of people's gossiping. 

NOW

Notice how in the second photo girls are imitating gossiping by impersonating people's usual reaction when they hear a gossip.

tz6EkFb.png

The next two scenes are probably the darkest ones in the video, and they belong to Jennie and Jissoo. These scenes make a reference to suicide. 

D5sT8u5.png

Here we have Jennie and her dancers imitating spiders crawling on her face with their hands. Additionally, the next photo shows us Jisoo sitting on a chair that looks like a spider itself and as if she's being trapped in hell (This being a reference to Christianity, a religion that claims committing suicide sends you straight to hell): 

0fpp3lG.png

In Greek Mythology, there's a story of a mortal woman named, Arachne. She challenged Goddess Minerva (Goddess of Wisdom but she was really just a major envious little bit*h) on a duel of weaving. Once they finished, Arachne's work of art had no flaw in it, it was PERFECT(just the way kpop girls need to be). This caused great fury within Minerva and she started beating and humiliating Arachne. This caused Arachne to commit SUICIDE out of great SHAME. After committing her suicide, Arachne was transformed into a, you guessed it, SPIDER. 

These two scenes and the story behind them is a direct reference to how many kpop idols committed suicide only during the last year because their image of being perfect had been shattered for one reason or another. Their fans and the overall population would then start humiliating them on the daily basis, until they would commit suicide. 

As you can see, for some reason, YG and Blackpink decided to include a lot of symbolical background into this video. Not to mention that all of this story-telling gives a lot more meaning to the lyrics (how you like that) which can honestly draw a parallel between this song and Britney's Gimme More. Both are basically saying how people want more from them and they keep giving. 

I hope you enjoyed this analysis and I hope the topic isn't too long. Just thought I'd shed some light on it. @Roxxydo you think this is good enough for a home page? :mhm: FB_IMG_1594373938614.jpg.a8bb9b393e45f57ff472af5496cecb9b.jpg

Edited by Roxxy
Featured. TEEHEE 💛🧡💜
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

You snapped. :omggg:

I like mythology so this was a fun read for me. :barbie:

🦄 💛🧡💜

Interesting :jj:

Spoiler

still dont like the song :girlbye:

9 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

You snapped. :omggg:

I like mythology so this was a fun read for me. :barbie:

Thank you kween :queenriri:It was really fun reading into this tbh. Symbols run music videos and they make them really fun to watch once you see them. Directors are extremely creative people who know a ****ton things :mhm: they always infiltrate this into their art

• Love 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Interesting :jj:

Hide contents

still dont like the song :girlbye:

:orangu: that is ok. I, too, must admit the song wasn't their best. The MV is the stunning part :mhm: 

6 hours ago, BUWYGF said:

making references to imprisonment and suicide K-pop industry idols are greatly impacted by.

Literally me :omggg:

💜 Subscribe to Exhale+ 💙

Great thread but..... I still don't get the reasoning behind making such a video. If the topic (unhealthy expectations and suicide) is so serious, and it obviously is, then why don't they simply talk about it straightforwardly? We almost have to call Sherlock Holmes to get the message. And while we're at it, they are looking and dancing and singing flawlessly, like the pop robots people (FANS INCLUDED, MIND YOU) expect them to be. What? What a crazy generation...

And what's the meaning of bara bing, bara boom, boom, boom:ineedthetruth: 😏

2 minutes ago, merci12 said:

Amd what's the meaning of bara bing, bara boom, boom, boom:ineedthetruth: 😏

Giving Lisa as many lines as possible because they can't be arsed to write proper text :gloria: i never said the text writers are the genius ones :makeup:

6 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

Great thread but..... I still don't get the reasoning behind making such a video. If the topic (unhealthy expectations and suicide) is so serious, and it obviously is, then why don't they simply talk about it straightforwardly? We almost have to call Sherlock Holmes to get the message. And while we're at it, they are looking and dancing and singing flawlessly, like the pop robots people (FANS INCLUDED, MIND YOU) expect them to be. What? What a crazy generation...

I think the reason why they don’t talk about this topic is because of how conservative South Korea is. Any korean idol/celebrity that goes out of their way to talk about important topics (such as feminism, LGBTQ+, mental health...) usually get a lot of hate and backlash because they are not doing what “they are suppose to be doing” which is sing, dance and please their fans.

Also, the korean music industry is way different than the western industry, the singers are extremely controlled by their companies. Matter of fact, blackpink said in an interview in 2017 (I believe) that they were not allowed to drive, have social media accounts, drink, do drugs, go to clubs, get tattoes, get plastic surgeries and/or get into relationships (because those are things that have made a lot of korean idols loose their reputation or even their career) . Then they explained that if they wanted to do those things they had to ask for permission and they would probably let them do those things but at first it’s a no no.

Pd.: sorry if I’ve made some mistakes but english is not my first language, but I hope my message helped you to understand a little bit more why they have to be so “cryptic” with what they say and do.

6 hours ago, jbmg4499 said:

I think the reason why they don’t talk about this topic is because of how conservative South Korea is. Any korean idol/celebrity that goes out of their way to talk about important topics (such as feminism, LGBTQ+, mental health...) usually get a lot of hate and backlash because they are not doing what “they are suppose to be doing” which is sing, dance and please their fans.

Also, the korean music industry is way different than the western industry, the singers are extremely controlled by their companies. Matter of fact, blackpink said in an interview in 2017 (I believe) that they were not allowed to drive, have social media accounts, drink, do drugs, go to clubs, get tattoes, get plastic surgeries and/or get into relationships (because those are things that have made a lot of korean idols loose their reputation or even their career) . Then they explained that if they wanted to do those things they had to ask for permission and they would probably let them do those things but at first it’s a no no.

Pd.: sorry if I’ve made some mistakes but english is not my first language, but I hope my message helped you to understand a little bit more why they have to be so “cryptic” with what they say and do.

Thank you for your reply, and it was beautifully written.
I understand what you're saying about South Korean culture being different and more conservative than ours, but at the end of your message you say that that's why "they (Blackpink) have to be so cryptic with what they say and do", and I honestly don't think that this music video was made directly by themselves. In other words, I don't think they had so much input. Like we all know, they are severely controlled by their record company, so it would be silly to think that in that situation they were allowed to make such an intricate video with so many messages behind each symbol. First of all, their management would have known about it, and second of all, they needed a HUGE TEAM to make such a video happen. It looks as expensive and complex as making a movie.
So to me this was thought out and made by their team to make them look cool but profound, and the girls agreed because they are living their fantasy, but in the end they are still reproducing the same thing they are, supposedly, fighting against.

8 hours ago, merci12 said:

Amd what's the meaning of bara bing, bara boom, boom, boom:ineedthetruth: 😏

I'm sure there's some other Greek god somewhere to explain that..... :tifflmao: