Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do you agree? Rolling Stone claims Dua Lipa's "Don't Start Now" and Doja Cat's "Say So" paved the way for Lady Gaga's Chromatica

gaga-dua-doja.jpg.015093a35492931aacf10e8fdd32ddb5.jpg

Rolling Stone says Dua Lipa's hit Future Nostalgia track "Don't Start Now" and Doja Cat's #1 hit "Say So" inspired Lady Gaga's new album Chromatica. 

They published a piece with interviews from songwriter Emily Warren, Ian Kirkpatrick and Caroline Ailin (all of whom worked on Future Nostalgia).

They opened up about the revived disco sound that's heavily influenced again in today's pop music, including Dua and Doja Cat's music. Cue Chromatica, which taps into disco's lovechild of '90s house. 

The success of “Don’t Start Now” and “Say So” may have open the floodgates for more disco success stories: Lady Gaga’s Chromatica pulls heavily from Nineties house culture, the spiritual child of peak- and post-disco. Jessie Ware’s What’s Your Pleasure? is the genre in its purest form, a tribute to Donna Summer, Fern Kinney, and Sylvester’s dance floor heartache, lust, and ecstasy. 

What Rolling Stone didn't mention is that Gaga worked on Chromatica for years prior to Dua and Doja releasing their music. Gaga also released a cover of disco banger "I Want Your Love" with Nile Rodgers in 2016. :gagasmile:

So Exhale, what do you think? Did Dua and Doja inspire Gaga? Or was it the other way around? :firega:

Related:

💜 Subscribe to Exhale+ 💙

Well, they said paved the way and not "inspire" so yeah I do agree. :imacat:

Without the success of Don't Start Now's retro disco sound, I don't think people would be embracing the sound of Chromatica. :mattafact:

• Love 3
  • Dislike 1
  • Like 1

🦄 💛🧡💜

:hahaha: But say so and don’t start now are miles better than chromatically incorrect.

• Love 5
  • Haha 2
  • Dislike 3

Yes 

🥀 𝔯𝔢𝔟𝔢𝔩𝔩𝔦𝔬𝔫 🥀

Just now, OnlyBeyonce said:

me every time someone praise that *****

8f17954d9529b4a2b2b33326406ac956.gif

Right! Chromatically Incorrect is her worst album

doja cat paved the way for no one and nothing and never will :haha:

No , lol , how the heck did they conclude this nonsensical bullcraap Showtime Bodega Boys GIF by Desus & Mero

I wouldn’t say that Chromatica took influences from FN necessarily because there’s not a huge gap between these 2 releases but needless to say that DSN/FN opened the way to a more disco/electro 80-90s sound. A queen

In my books Future Nostalgia is by far my fav album of 2020.:barbie: After Hours is also a strong candidate.

🎶Somebody come get this man🎶 I think he got lost in my DMs🎶 I think he wanna be way more than friends 🎶

4 minutes ago, OnlyFacts said:

Right! Chromatically Incorrect is her worst album

i'm talking about that Dua Lupus

• Haha 4
  • Dislike 2

In a way, yes, because Dua and Doja (and couple of others) make this sound very popular-mainstream so..:kiss:

2 minutes ago, OnlyBeyonce said:

i'm talking about that Dua Lupus

:hahaha: whaaaat? Dua’s album is one of the best of 2020. I’m shook 

tenor.gif

Also, Future Nostalgia is a better album than Chromatically Incorrect! :deserves:

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Just now, OnlyFacts said:

:hahaha: whaaaat? Dua’s album is one of the best of 2020. I’m shook 

I'm going to put the strongest voodoo spell on that *****

tumblr_n6q542q8xS1rbl71oo2_500.gif

I haven’t listened to any of these albums.

Wow I feel old.

old 30 rock GIF

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞’𝐬 𝐬𝐚𝐟𝐞𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐧 𝐧𝐮𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐈 𝐠𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐬, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐈’𝐦 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐝, 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐝 𝐰𝐞𝐬𝐭

The problem is Nobody wanted a dance album that well is me too inspired and About Mental health. 

They want an album then can pop an e and basically fornicate to high on chemical induced ***. 

I suppose. But I think it’s a circle. Gaga paved the way for these ladies years ago, and now these ladies have helped to revitalize a sound that comes very naturally to Gaga. 
giphy.gif?cid=82a1493ba71f1f066bb743e7f0

I think people too easily forget or dismiss Gaga’s impact. 
She literally brought pop music back to life in 2009, breathed magic and depth back into it, and over the course of the next several years proceeded to transform the landscape of pop forever. I already know I’m gonna get dragged for saying this 😂

But it’s the truth. After Gaga, nothing was the same. 

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493ba71f1f066bb743e7f0

• Love 5
  • Dislike 2
  • Like 2

Me to Rolling Stones:

Judge Judy Bfd GIF by Lifetime Telly - Find & Share on GIPHY

If Lady Gaga was inspired by Dua Lipas "Don't Start Now" then she forgot one key ingredient to her Chromatica mix. Iconicness and a hint of quality production. Instead we got a Lady Gaga album that felt more like "trying" hard to be relevant with a hint of desperation :jl: