Can you tell me the reason for the "feud" between Britney and Christina?

Christina was always salty with how much bigger and successful Britney was. Christina seemed to think bc she had the voice she was superior. It had to have annoyed her that her mmc friend blew up and completely shook up the pop music scene. Britney’s performances always overshadowed hers at any awards show etc. I’m sure Christina has grown a lot but she was always known as the girl who thought her **** don’t stink. 

• Like 4

The media wanted to put them against each other because two strong successful women in the same age bracket totally isn’t acceptable. I think the constant comparison and Britney overshadowing Christina did make Christina bitter at times because she would make snarky remarks on occasion. Jealousy happens sometimes. But I do think the feud was mostly just press wanting them to feud because it’s much more interesting to have celebrities that hate each other, not ones that practically grew up together and were on friendly terms. 

• Like 2

I agree with the above comment about the media wanting to put them against each other - given their similar backgrounds and the fact that they love to put women against each other. 

HOWEVER I do genuinely believe Christina has always been jealous of Britney’s success. I mean I guess it’s only natural. You both came off the same TV show, you have the better voice yet Britney just somehow seems to do it better. It’s such a shame because Christina has real talent she deserved a long standing career but her bad attitude ruined it for her. Plus Britney is always so sweet about her which makes her look even worse. The jealous pours from her

• Like 5
32 minutes ago, PZHSB said:

Christina was always salty with how much bigger and successful Britney was. Christina seemed to think bc she had the voice she was superior. It had to have annoyed her that her mmc friend blew up and completely shook up the pop music scene. Britney’s performances always overshadowed hers at any awards show etc. I’m sure Christina has grown a lot but she was always known as the girl who thought her **** don’t stink. 

True. I don’t even know how much she’s “grown” now, maybe Christina would still be bitter if Britney was on top of her game. It’s easy to be “nice” now, she has less to be bitter about. :tiffdrink:

• Like 1

I was always a big Christina fan and still am. But Christina was not shy in showing how salty and jealous she was about Britney. Britney till this day never said anything mean to Christina, while Christina constantly mocks Britney till this day.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AP4 said:

The media wanted to put them against each other because two strong successful women in the same age bracket totally isn’t acceptable. I think the constant comparison and Britney overshadowing Christina did make Christina bitter at times because she would make snarky remarks on occasion. Jealousy happens sometimes. But I do think the feud was mostly just press wanting them to feud because it’s much more interesting to have celebrities that hate each other, not ones that practically grew up together and were on friendly terms. 

Christina’s team was selling her as “Britney’s friend” in the beginning. I’ll never forget when genie in a bottle debuted on trl and that’s how they introduced her. I think once the world saw that Britney absolutely slayed on stage, Christina’s team started with the rivalry nonsense. 

I don’t think it was their teams, but the press and media. MTV Trl whatever was doing the reporting. I do still believe Christina DID get bitter she wasn’t as popular. Especially since they were young and honestly teenage girls get jealousy issues. But I still think it  was the media that pushed the narrative the most. 

• Like 1
  • Super Moderators

the media just liked to put them against each other, because of the similarities in their background and the beginning of their careers. They were both from the MMC and then started their solo careers at the same time, both releasing successful albums and singles, so it would've been weird not to think they were competition. 

The public had their part as well, even though a lot of people liked both of them, if they liked pop music, usually everyone would have a favorite one out of the two. Quickly, Britney overshadowed Christina, especially internationally, but Christina was always known as "the talented one" while Britney started to use more lipsync, and even at the studio she wasn't showing precisely some vocal prowesses, so all of that just kept that never ending debate about who was the best. 

Then the snarky comments came, but that was later, probably after the VMA's 2003 performance. 

• Like 1

I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

It was mostly the media. I don’t think there was all that much of a fued. I do think Xtina got tired of constantly being compared to Britney though. Britney came out first and Xtina was always in her shadow a bit. I mean still, to this day, Xtina is asked in interviews all the time about Britney, which I’m sure is frustrating. She made a few snarky comments when she was younger, but she clearly had an attitude problem back then. She made remarks about Pink, Beyonce, Mariah. I’m just not sure Xtina ever really got to be the supreme, and she was jealous. I also think fueds sell, look at how many seemingly fake ones there are nowadays. Xtina and Britney have been very kinda towards each other for a long time though, probably a decade. It’s just fans who won’t let this imaginary fued go, which is sad. They’re both amazing and deserve to be celebrated. I’m glad we’ve moved in a direction where it’s kinda “fashionable” for women to support other women, even if it’s not always genuine. I hate seeing stuff like the J.Lo and Mariah fued. 

• Like 2
On 6/23/2020 at 8:21 PM, fays1 said:

I was always a big Christina fan and still am. But Christina was not shy in showing how salty and jealous she was about Britney. Britney till this day never said anything mean to Christina, while Christina constantly mocks Britney till this day.

christina talks about britney till this day, yes, but how does she constantly mock her till this day? christina being bitter towards britney (I think she was actually bitter because of the comparisons but whatever) ended in like 2005.and they sent each other baby gifts, wedding gifts in 2005-2006, christina wrote a letter to britney and tried to reach out to her in 2007 and they have been saying only nice things about each other for the last 15 years.

On 6/23/2020 at 9:11 PM, AP4 said:

I don’t think it was their teams, but the press and media. MTV Trl whatever was doing the reporting. I do still believe Christina DID get bitter she wasn’t as popular. Especially since they were young and honestly teenage girls get jealousy issues. But I still think it  was the media that pushed the narrative the most. 

this.

I think the feud narrative was pushed by the media a lot, but there are several documentations of Christina making snarky comments about Britney, with even Britney saying she could be rude sometimes. Christina's countless arguments with other stars in the 00s and people constantly talking about her bad attitude points to how she could have pushed it. 

I do actually like Christina and wish she had found more success later in her career, but there's no doubt she had an attitude problem at some point. 

• Like 1

Okay, I'm more of a Britney stan than a Christina stan and I'm fully aware of her attitude problem but come to think of it, It's really frustrating to be overshadowed by someone even tho you're giving 101% of yourself to the world.

Up until today, Britney is always mentioned in every Christina Interview. I feel that she just wanted the world to see her as Singing Diva Christina and not the rival of Britney Spears. I think she pushed herself to became 5x more provocative during her Stripped Era so she could escape from the rivalry but the media didn't stopped.

Going back to the interview, when we listen to Britney interviews after the Madonna Kiss, we rarely hear Britney being asked by Christina, whereas to Christina, Britney is usually brought up to the topic like it's the only interesting part that happened to Christina's life.

If I were Christina, I would be really frustrated like I'm good with Britney but can we talk about me, let's talk about me let's talk about MY performances, MY awards, MY legacy for the past years, let's talk about ME.

• Like 1