Nine years ago Born this way opened at #1 with a million albums

• Exhale+

Nine years ago Born this way opened uo with gaga's biggest sales to date.

But that million opening number wasn't without controversy.

600,000 copies Of the 1,000,000+ opener came from a 3 day sale on Amazon for 0.99 cents. 

It managed to have a second week at #1 consecutively. But it's still the biggest sales drop of a million opener. To go from 1,000,000+ to just selling 100,000 copued in its second week. She was highly ridiculed for the second week numbers. 

Billboard was forced to change the sales rules so this wouldn't happen again. 

Albums for the first Six months of release have to be sold at 4.99 or higher in order to count. 

1989 suffered a huge loss is sales. Cos Microsoft music sold the album for 3.99. If it was sold at 4.99. Taylor would have broken Britney's first week sales wee as billboard did state. 300,000 copies were not counted towards 1989's first week sales as it was sold at a price that billboard deemed ineligible..

• Haha 1

I'm the hunter, you're the fox 🦊.

• Super Moderators

I can attest to the .99 causing more to buy the album that wouldn’t have otherwise. I never bought a Lady Gaga album before BTW and only cause it was .99 :tiffcackle: I did end up buying The Fame  & The Fame Monster afterwards to support her considering The Fame is one of my favorite albums ever 

🍻Intoxicate me, I’m a lush🍻