Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Billie Eilish wants people to stop categorizing her music as pop because she's white

billie-pop.jpg.e733dcc0ff8c81cff982761c0aa99629.jpg

In the new issue of GQ, Billie Eilish says she believes she's considered a pop star because she's white.

“I hate when people say, ‘Oh, you look like “blank”. You sound like “blank”.’ It was such a cool thing Tyler said. I agree with him about that term. Don’t judge an artist off the way someone looks or the way someone dresses. Wasn’t Lizzo in the Best R&B category that night? I mean, she’s more pop than I am," she says.

“Look, if I wasn’t white I would probably be in ‘rap’. Why? They just judge from what you look like and what they know. I think that is weird. The world wants to put you into a box; I’ve had it my whole career. Just because I am a white teenage female I am pop. Where am I pop? What part of my music sounds like pop?"

You may recall, her debut album won Pop Vocal Album at this year's Grammys. "Bad Guy" was nominated for Pop Solo Performance.

Though I still consider her music pop, I think she makes a valid point. 

Thoughts, Exhale?

Related:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

💜 Subscribe to Exhale+ 💙

I love Billie but this sounds like when Halsey said and was force-feeding herself into believing she is not pop :jeanluc: Billie is clearly alternative pop and I hope she understands that. From what I know, she is definitely not a alternative rock artist :pleaseshhh: (no shade American music awards :mattafact:)

• Haha 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OnlyFacts said:

But her music is pop. She doesn’t have a leg to stand on here, sorry. NOW, on the OTHER hand, let’s discuss how Rihanna’s earlier album were always nominated for R&B awards at the Grammys...yet they were 100% pop (her only r&b album is anti). 

I love Billie, but I feel like the best new artist curse is going to come for her. I hope not though 

Exactly! 
btw, Good girl gone bad was also Rn’B

What does she think her music is? :calculating: If anything she's indie pop or alternative pop but... whatever, I agree with what Tyler the creator said after the GRAMMYs though and I see her sentiment but...:yaknow:

• Love 1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, JordanMiller said:

“Look, if I wasn’t white I would probably be in ‘rap’. Why? They just judge from what you look like and what they know. I think that is weird.

Ngl this is SUPER true!

5 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Exactly! 
btw, Good girl gone bad was also Rn’B

Nah, GGGB was 98% pop. The only somewhat r&b song was hate that I love you 

Drake talked about this too:

"I am referred to as a black artist, like last night at (the Grammy's), I'm a black artist... I'm apparently a rapper, even though 'Hotline Bling' is not a rap song. The only category they can manage to fit me in is in a rap category, maybe because I've rapped in the past or because I'm black. I cant figure out why. I won two awards, but I don't even want them because it just feels weird for some reason."

:idkney: 

Idk, I'd say Billie makes pop music. I mean, it's alternative pop / dream pop / bedroom pop / whatever pop, but at it's core it's still pop, isn't it?! :smokney2:

• Love 3
  • Haha 1
  • Like 2

💃🏻 stan of all flop pop girlies 💃🏻

lol

she's not pop bc of her music
she's pop bc her music is pop
it's the other way round... if it was based on her looks she would be hip-hop/R&B

she probably feels that way bc she loves rap, every teenager loves rap music, her influences are rap/hip-hop artists.

and tbh, pop it's what is popular atm, a lot of hip-hop artists at the moment are pop. it's pop. pop is more like how the song is structured, the appealing, and the marketing behind it, not much the sound of it, nowadays it's more mixed, a lot of elements from the current trendy genre/

Why do so many artists get offended when their music is labelled pop? even when in Billie's case, it is pop. :parisok:

• Love 1
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, OnlyBeyonce said:

You can have ambition but not too much (cit.)

6Pdx.gif

Are you happy to be in Paris?

💜 Subscribe to Exhale+ 💙

I’m sorry but her music is 😴 Zzzzzzzz. Call me naive, I Just don’t understand why the whole world is crazy for her music. 

• Love 1
  • Dislike 1
  • Like 6

So, I'm not a huge Billie fan and maybe have never even listened to one of her songs all the way through (shocking, I know) but I really think she meant to put more emphasis on how "pop" is white and "R&B" is black. Which is true and racist af. Like you guys have been saying Rihanna has been pop af for years and was always classified as "R&B" because of her skin color. I mean, "Umbrella" was written for Britney and would be considered pure pop if it weren't for the fact Rihanna was on it instead. And if Rihanna had performed "Hold It Against Me" it would all of the sudden be and "R&B" song despite being essentially the same song.

I'm going to give Billie the benefit of the doubt and say she was just throwing out and example but doesn't truly think she's a rapper. Or is she? IDK. Never listened.

• Love 1
  • Like 5

What’s wrong with being a pop artist? Girl you stanned Britney who is the epitome of pop. Ugh I hate that pop is getting soooo serious nowadays.

• Love 1
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, britney_rocks said:

When I couldn’t dislike this generation anymore. Everything is offensive, cancel everything, you’re hurting my feelings, the white guilt. 

Lady Gaga Eye Roll GIF by Jimmy Kimmel Live

I originally laughed at this comment but I changed it to a like.  I only thought it was funny because it’s so true in some cases.

Everyone wants to get away from the ‘pop’ label nowadays and it’s stupid.

you are pop, deal with it 

• Love 2
  • Like 6

I’m think of her as boring indie pop. She has some nice songs, but I see her as an experiment for the record companies to see what they could pass off as “music” for the newer generations. 

If you can't say I LOVE YOU, then say nothing at all...