Jump to content

Artists That Went Through A Sophomore Slump / Underrated Follow-Up Albums From One-Hit Wonders


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Carly Rae Jepsen - EMOTION

Trying to make her look like a Halsey with such a pop-dance-Latino audience behind her was a serious mistake 

For someone of camilla’s level romance flopped. Was it career ending? No, but you would think someone in her position would be debuting at number one with at least over 100k, hell even Brenda Jo outso

Posted Images

Nelly Furtado - Whoa Nelly was 2x Platinum, then Folklore was only certified Gold .. (she bounced back with Loose )

Melanie C - Northern Star was 3x Platinum in UK then Reasons was only certified Gold

Geri Halliwell - first album was 2x Platinum, second album Gold

Kesha - Animal 3x Platinum, Warrior - Gold

 

 

  • Love 2
Link to post
  • Twitter Team
8 hours ago, Joman82 said:

Nelly Furtado sophomore album "Folklore" was a huge slump. I know she is a foreigner artist, and for those type of artist, it's more difficult to maintain the the hits at a mainstream level. The album is pretty good and she got back with her third album "Loose". But after that, she disappeared again. 

She was all over the place and with the Spanish album, people lost track of her. 

 

It’s weird that her first album did well, but Folklore flopped but then she bounced back and had her biggest success with Loose. But then she started experiencing low sales again. 

Link to post

Vanessa Carlton. People only knew her as the A Thousand Miles girl. Her first album wasn't particularly huge but managed platinum certification, and she was one of the girls that was being labeled as the new breed of artists that were challenging the pop domination of Britney, Xtina, etc.

Her second album Harmonium was a flop, in part because the lead single White Houses was banned by MTV for a lyric that pertains to losing her virginity. (Kinda odd when everyone else now is singing about *** and appearing nude on music videos). :imacat:

But yeah she never recovered after that and it's such a shame cause she's talented. This is one of my favorites from her:

 

  • Love 1
Link to post
17 minutes ago, seleleota said:

i'm probably gonna get **** for this but Born This Way really was great but did not build on her initial success in the way that it should've.

As a Gaga Stan I agree, they easily could've built on her success from "The Fame/Fame Monster" era but they didn't and then it resulted in "ARTPOP" having a huge decline in sales :martini:

Link to post
9 hours ago, Joman82 said:

Nelly Furtado sophomore album "Folklore" was a huge slump. I know she is a foreigner artist, and for those type of artist, it's more difficult to maintain the the hits at a mainstream level. The album is pretty good and she got back with her third album "Loose". But after that, she disappeared again. 

She was all over the place and with the Spanish album, people lost track of her. 

 

She should have made another album in English and strengthen her career in America and U.K. and make the album in Spanish  a few years later.

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Exhale+
7 hours ago, EvanMoon said:

Are you kidding me? She was not markted correctly. Yes Senorita and My Oh My saved the album. You do know she co-wrote both of them right? They are her songs. She was releasing way too many songs all at once and that really hurt her. But with all that, 80K was not that bad, with the worst roll out I think ever for an album? Simon's team has failed so many great artists like Leona. She's had a huge first album in the world and Simon's team failed her with her second, third and fourth albums (which were all ******* amazing albums). I really hope she gets out of that label, changes teams and deliver another great album, cos she really does deserve more attention. She's definitely one to watch. Maybe add a 4th grammy nom to her name and hopefully a win, to make all those haters count their words. Not sure why so much hate is thrown at her, isnt there enough hate in this world at the moment? Already looking forward to CC3.

Any other way, Romance was a sophomore slump. When it came out, literally NONE except tabloid outlets were talking about it. Plus, senorita didn't have longetivity.

Under my Umbrella-ella-ella-ella-eh-eh-eh :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

Link to post
  • Exhale+
6 hours ago, OnlyFacts said:

And how did she have a bad album rollout? She performed EVERYWHERE! I mean, living proof had a performance at the VMA’s and on Ellen with a choir! And it still didn’t chart! 🤣 Face the facts, the label isn’t the problem, it’s Camila

I think I meant he was talking about the rollout of the singles. She released singles way to fast and caused them all to underperform. That was also one very factor of Romance underperformance.

Under my Umbrella-ella-ella-ella-eh-eh-eh :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

Link to post
  • Exhale+
6 hours ago, OnlyFacts said:

😂 This was such a skull drag and sent me straight to the moon. Camilas next album will do even worse than BROmance. She’s on a steady decline.

Plus, dababy just got a #1 with “rockstar”, so it’s clear that he is the only reason my oh my charted at all. Let’s not forget “my oh my” isn’t even on the physical CD because the label added it one week before the release to save the album 🤣

Sucks to be a racist Camila...I anticipate 40k SPS with the next album 

OH, I was "dragging her"?:reductive:
But I thought everyone was saying my oh my was a hit :umomg:

Spoiler

Bromance is actually a word :pieceofwhat:

 

Under my Umbrella-ella-ella-ella-eh-eh-eh :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

Link to post
1 hour ago, Blackout2006 said:

Any other way, Romance was a sophomore slump. When it came out, literally NONE except tabloid outlets were talking about it. Plus, senorita didn't have longetivity.

We can agree to disagree. I'm just looking at the facts. Senorita didn't have longetivity? It was in the top 10 for over 10 weeks. Shes not as huge as some other artist yet, and she has achieved more than some of our favourites. If literally none except for tabloits talking about it, then why is it still on the bb200 25 weeks later, she hasnt left the chat as yet, it only free falling now for the past few weeks, after its been released. Just saying. 

Link to post
8 hours ago, OnlyFacts said:

You’re blaming Camila flopping with BROmance on her not being “marketed correctly”?? 🤣 Delusions of grandeur. Camila flopped because 1) she’s racist, and 2) nobody cares about her music. Every time I mention her in public, people say who? It’s not until I mention Havana that they say “oh yeah, the Havana girl.” Her hits are collaborations. None of her solo songs have done remarkably well, and “never be the same” was a product of payola and had a remix with Kane Brown. She isn’t a star, doesn’t have anything interesting about her, and her personality is nasty. Racists do not win in the end.

And how did she have a bad album rollout? She performed EVERYWHERE! I mean, living proof had a performance at the VMA’s and on Ellen with a choir! And it still didn’t chart! 🤣 Face the facts, the label isn’t the problem, it’s Camila.

Why would you mention her in public, if by reading your comments, you don't care for her at all, but your taking the time to talk about her. If you seriously believe she's racist, you're delusional. People try and drag her on twitter, but its not working. Shes still winning. Her achievements in the last 3 years sums it all up by it self. Never Be The Same was an organic hit. Took quite a few weeks to grow and become the hit we knew, payola, I think not. My Oh My was perhaps could fall in that category, and then it also blew up. You can continue spreading hate about her, you just sound uneducated and childish. And at the end of the day, Camila keeps on winning, countless awards and and probably more hits. Start spreading positivity, thats what the world needs right now. 

  • Love 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
8 hours ago, SpearsSpearsBrit said:

Oops ... we found a fan
1. Nobody says that the album is bad, if not something boring for the audience to which it is addressed.
2. Is 1.2M real? Because record companies buy RIAA certifications based on future estimates. She has good streaming support but I don't know if so much in big powers (usa & uk)

Yes I became a fan. I support talented writers and singers. 1. Not sure what you meant here tbh? Boring it is not, shes still in the top 10 of streamed females 8 months later after the album was released, so guess her fans don't find it boring. 2. Yes it is real. If record labels could buy certifications ahead, don't you think it would mean some of our other fave artists would be able to also thrn get this, and if RIAA was a scam, what would the point be to even exist. They have strict rules they follow. You can find them anywhere online and on their website if you would like to read it.

Link to post
8 hours ago, Britneyarmy8 said:

Why are people in these comments defending the racist 

she can’t even make good music 

This thread seriously feels like twitter these days, childish uneducated comments. What are you achieving by forcing negative comments about her? How is this fulfilling your life in a good way. I'm actually happy she does not have a fan with an attitude like yours. All she spreads is love and positivity, and if you keep referrong to comments she made when she was a teenager, I just feel really sorry for you. Spread love not hate. Even Britney received this much hate back in the day, did it stop her? I think not :)

Link to post
1 hour ago, EvanMoon said:

This thread seriously feels like twitter these days, childish uneducated comments. What are you achieving by forcing negative comments about her? How is this fulfilling your life in a good way. I'm actually happy she does not have a fan with an attitude like yours. All she spreads is love and positivity, and if you keep referrong to comments she made when she was a teenager, I just feel really sorry for you. Spread love not hate. Even Britney received this much hate back in the day, did it stop her? I think not :)

britney never made vile hateful comments, even she started out young :jl:

and trust me i would never want to be a fan of a racist who cant even make good music :)

what's uneducated or childish about my comments? sorry that i dont respect someone who's tumblr was filled with comments against black and asian people 

 

Link to post
  • Exhale+
2 hours ago, EvanMoon said:

We can agree to disagree. I'm just looking at the facts. Senorita didn't have longetivity? It was in the top 10 for over 10 weeks. Shes not as huge as some other artist yet, and she has achieved more than some of our favourites. If literally none except for tabloits talking about it, then why is it still on the bb200 25 weeks later, she hasnt left the chat as yet, it only free falling now for the past few weeks, after its been released. Just saying. 

Its just facts dear. Compared to Havana, can you say its longevity was good? Senorita was not even planned to come on the Romance track list.Howe, seeing the success of the single, her team decided to put it in the album. Thus, Senorita became Camilla somewhat ing grace for the album. 

Under my Umbrella-ella-ella-ella-eh-eh-eh :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

Link to post
1 hour ago, Britneyarmy8 said:

britney never made vile hateful comments, even she started out young :jl:

and trust me i would never want to be a fan of a racist who cant even make good music :)

what's uneducated or childish about my comments? sorry that i dont respect someone who's tumblr was filled with comments against black and asian people 

 

Did you actually read those comments? She used the N word quite a few times when she was young, and yes I agree, thats wrong in so many ways. But is she a racist. No. Shes grown up and learned from her mistakes, just like every other person on earth, even you. And again youre just saying the same thing. So I don't see a point in continueing this discussion. Will end with just this one line...Spread love not hate.

  • Love 1
Link to post
5 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Its just facts dear. Compared to Havana, can you say its longevity was good? Senorita was not even planned to come on the Romance track list.Howe, seeing the success of the single, her team decided to put it in the album. Thus, Senorita became Camilla somewhat ing grace for the album. 

How do you know this? Are you friends with her or her team? Or is it just assumption? I think ots the latter. If you listen to the first interviews she had when they dropped it, she already said that Senorita is just a glimpse of thr sound on the album, so it was planned before it even became a hit. Oh and yes, Havana was huge, Senorita was not as huge, but was still very much a hit. Havana was the nr 1 song on many end year charts around the world, its difficult for even the A list stars to get that right year after year. But damn, she came very close. In your words, it's just facts dear. 

Link to post
  • Exhale+
26 minutes ago, EvanMoon said:

How do you know this? Are you friends with her or her team? Or is it just assumption? I think ots the latter. If you listen to the first interviews she had when they dropped it, she already said that Senorita is just a glimpse of thr sound on the album, so it was planned before it even became a hit. Oh and yes, Havana was huge, Senorita was not as huge, but was still very much a hit. Havana was the nr 1 song on many end year charts around the world, its difficult for even the A list stars to get that right year after year. But damn, she came very close. In your words, it's just facts dear. 

Obviously I am not. But her team has admitted to it. Senorita was supposed to only appear in Shawn Mendes Self-Titled Deluxe version. However, her team also took Senorita and put it in Camila Romance track list. Half of romance streams have come because of Senorita.  I have forgiven Camila, but everyone knows that Romance flopped badly. End of the discussion

  • Haha 1

Under my Umbrella-ella-ella-ella-eh-eh-eh :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block