Jump to content

MTV VMAs 2000 Performance Comes of Age!


Guest

Recommended Posts

I remember watching this live. I was about 9 years old. When she ripped off the suit, my initial reaction was that she was nude. I didn’t realize she had on a skin colored outfit underneath it until a few seconds later hahaha. My young mind was shook. Anyway, definitely one of my fave performances :tehe:

Link to post
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i swear to god i dont care what ANYONE says this is literally her best performance of all time. everyone always brings up the 2001 vma's but for me this one always topped it.  i dont know what it is. 

I watched this as it happened.  It took a good hour or so to pick my jaw up off the floor.  Phucking phenomenal, and hands down better than 2001 VMA.

The look you give when you know you just slayed and snatched everyone's wigs out

6 hours ago, BlackoutExtreme said:

Hands down Brits best performance to date! Everything from start to finish is flawfree. The Oops Remix, her bod (of course), and set were all perfection. 

***** came to slay and snatch wigs and she completed her mission. No artist will ever top this performance, let alone even come close to having such an iconic moment. 

This! And the versions of it on YouTube end before this one moment where the camera shows Christina in the audience, and the way she was clapping and the look on her face did not seem thrilled to me lol. Something about her face said, “okay, ****.” Or maybe that was what I wanted to be the case?tenor.gif?itemid=4998072

Link to post

2001 Slave was almost too perfect. (Sounds crazy considering 2018 Slave)

But it comes off kind of boring because it’s so tight and uniform. The only time she stands out is when she’s holding the snake. 

And it’s just the album version vocals with slight changes and sound effects in the instrumental. 

I probably would enjoy it more if it had prerecorded vocals and she performed more to the audience and less like it was making of the video. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
8 hours ago, Khoazie said:

This! And the versions of it on YouTube end before this one moment where the camera shows Christina in the audience, and the way she was clapping and the look on her face did not seem thrilled to me lol. Something about her face said, “okay, ****.” Or maybe that was what I wanted to be the case?tenor.gif?itemid=4998072

I'd die to see the audience faces. :(((((((((((( 

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Avatar said:

2001 Slave was almost too perfect. (Sounds crazy considering 2018 Slave)

But it comes off kind of boring because it’s so tight and uniform. The only time she stands out is when she’s holding the snake. 

And it’s just the album version vocals with slight changes and sound effects in the instrumental. 

I probably would enjoy it more if it had prerecorded vocals and she performed more to the audience and less like it was making of the video. 

Yeah. I like the Slave 2001 performance but, for me, I hate when they just hit play on a CD and Britney performs. I prefer some remix, live singing, or pre-recorded vocals. 

Link to post

I love the remix and really glad they used the same (or similar) in DWAD tour 

I didn't expect that it's the favourite VMA performance for so many people :yesplease:  so cool

I think its the best one too, her energy is insane!

Link to post
17 hours ago, pinklilbabytee said:

I don't like this performance much :woopsie:

There's like... no real chorography.... she's just flailing around. And the remix of Oops sounds really clunky.

Do people just obsess with this one cos she strips? Eh. Slave 2001 is miiiiles better to me.

I do love the end when she's on the floor though, that's epic.

tenor.gif

  • Like 3
Link to post
On 8/23/2018 at 2:47 AM, armokid77 said:

i swear to god i dont care what ANYONE says this is literally her best performance of all time. everyone always brings up the 2001 vma's but for me this one always topped it.  i dont know what it is.  the attitude, the choreography, the LOOK, EVERYTHING about it is flawless. i need like a super phucking 4k hd version of it to have forever but mtv stays uploading the same 2001 vma performance every year instead to boost their sh!tty views but whatever i guess :xfactorlook:.

As much as I have Slave 4 U in my heart and doing the choreography around everyday for 2 years straight ever since I learned it, I sometimes catch myself thinking VMA 2000 tops it. She was Michael Jackson for a while, and then did something unique, Britney Spears only,showcasing raw talent. However, I think the magic of seeing the video coming alive, seeing the original choreo from it performed live, the snake, and specially the fact the song wasn't as remixed as Ooops in the 2000 Vma, crowns VMA 2001 as her top performance. :mhm:

  • Like 1
Link to post
3 hours ago, portrait said:

I'd die to see the audience faces. :(((((((((((( 

 

The people were shook! Nobody saw it coming. Ugh she f**king slayed so hard it was talked about for weeks after! Made us proud to be a stan ??

Link to post
On 8/23/2018 at 3:09 AM, Mr_Steven_Spears said:

 

 

She cemented her status that night :clap:

Yes! And context is everything. Part of why this is my favorite performance of hers was the impact that it left in pop culture. Prior to that night, Britney was still seen as this teeny bopper princess. This was a watershed moment in her career and public image. This was her statement to the world—mama wasn’t ******* around!

giphy.gif

Link to post
19 hours ago, pinklilbabytee said:

I don't like this performance much :woopsie:

 

Do people just obsess with this one cos she strips? Eh. Slave 2001 is miiiiles better to me.

I do love the end when she's on the floor though, that's epic.

Context is everything. At the time, nobody expected to see this fierce side of Britney. Up until this performance, she was still known as this princess of bubblegum pop. 

And if I recall correctly, it was the first time seeing her abs like that! And she presented with Christina. It was also her first official appearance with JT as a couple. She looked magical on the red carpet. Hands down, she became queen of the VMAs this night.

 

Link to post
5 hours ago, bananathesnake said:

As much as I have Slave 4 U in my heart and doing the choreography around everyday for 2 years straight ever since I learned it, I sometimes catch myself thinking VMA 2000 tops it. She was Michael Jackson for a while, and then did something unique, Britney Spears only,showcasing raw talent. However, I think the magic of seeing the video coming alive, seeing the original choreo from it performed live, the snake, and specially the fact the song wasn't as remixed as Ooops in the 2000 Vma, crowns VMA 2001 as her top performance. :mhm:

Idkkkk mannnnnn the remix of Oops is what made that performance even more iconic than it already was. I would KILL ago have that remix. In all honesty the slave performance was just boring to me. Like I get it she had a snake around her neck for a lil but that was for like half the performance where there could have been bangin choreography like the Oops performance. That’s just me. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 8/22/2018 at 10:47 PM, armokid77 said:

i swear to god i dont care what ANYONE says this is literally her best performance of all time. everyone always brings up the 2001 vma's but for me this one always topped it.  i dont know what it is.  the attitude, the choreography, the LOOK, EVERYTHING about it is flawless. i need like a super phucking 4k hd version of it to have forever but mtv stays uploading the same 2001 vma performance every year instead to boost their sh!tty views but whatever i guess :xfactorlook:.

:clap:

 

It's truly her best performance and a prime example as to why she was being compared to Madonna & Janet.  She wasn't trying to be ****, she was just being and sold the hell out of that routine.  Her hairograpy during this one is hands down my favorite.    She wasn't whipping or touching her hair as a nervous tick, it was fully utilized to enhance the performance.  Her final dance break on the floor is still a slay.  She's done variations of that move over the years but that one still remains her best.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
3 minutes ago, Captain Marvel said:

:clap:

 

It's truly her best performance and a prime example as to why she was being compared to Madonna & Janet.  She wasn't trying to be ****, she was just being and sold the hell out of that routine.  Her hairograpy during this one is hands down my favorite.    She wasn't whipping or touching her hair as a nervous tick, it was fully utilized to enhance the performance.  Her final dance break on the floor is still a slay.  She's done variations of that move over the years but that one still remains her best.  

See this is why no performance of Oops or any other Britney performance for that matter will ever touch this one.  The version of this performance on DWAD was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO weak compared to the VMA's thats why whenever anyone brings it up I cringe cuz I'm like biiitchhhh.... did you even watch the ACTUAL original :squintney:.

  • Like 2
Link to post
  • Deactivated
1 hour ago, fucknfurter said:

I was sitting my little tween self in my living room, watching it live as it aired. Everyone credits 2001 as being her best VMAs performance, but I don't agree. It was this one, 2000. Amazing.

giphy.gif

  • Like 1
Link to post

I love the 2001 performance also, but not because of the snake... she looked phenomenal and danced incredible, the visuals were amazing too. everything was on point. 

I think it's really difficult to compare them, because they're so different from each other. both performances are on such high levels , for me it's still incomprehensible how a very young woman could appear with this attitude and sexiness 

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 8/25/2018 at 7:20 AM, Dark.Knight said:

this thread should be pinned at the top so it never goes away

Absolutely. To me it’s just so goddam timeless! Just seeing these Gifs from it gives me so much life.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block