Should 'Circus' Have Led 'Circus'

Hey guys!

Since my last similar post was popular and controversial (should bombastic love have led Britney,) I figured I'd do a similar one! Let me take you back almost ten years (holy **** I know)....

Britney's comeback was with Womanizer and the accompanying album 'Circus.' The lead single was high energy and clubby and a little bit lighter than Blackoutney, but I feel it wasn't very representative of the album as a whole. Circus -- the album -- was all about the chaos and attention around Britney over the past years, and Womanizer was just a simple song about a womanizing man. I feel that Circus, which was a very popular single as well, should have led the album for the same reasons that I feel Bombastic Love should have led Britney.

I still think it would have been just as strong as a lead single as Womanizer was, but a little more personal and appropriate to set the album right.

Any thoughts, concerns, threats? (come at me)

giphy.gif

Although this GIF does make me bubble right up inside ;-)

9EObi.gif

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, TraciBrooks said:

still think it would have been just as strong as a lead single as Womanizer was, but a little more personal and appropriate to set the album right.

I agree with this, both would've been great choices. Womanizer was the safer of the choices, as it's exactly what the GP would expect from a Britney song. Which is probably why were team went with it. 

Either way, they're both great tunes :brityes:

2 minutes ago, IconicShow said:

Yet Womanizer at the time broke the record with the highest jump to #1. 

This also happened to be her last Iconic video. 

Work ***** (Halloween edition) says hi

tumblr_mxppy5YQTd1qks7tpo2_500.gif

Also this iconic heel fling literally slays your favs entire videography

c1abf2efe46557191669373bc856e717.gif

• Like 2
  • Super Moderators

I love Circus, and I prefer the videoclip over Womanizer, but for some reason I think that's the way it was meant to be.

Circus would've been too predictable, like, profitting out of her public scandals, while Womanizer proved she could release a song about a fictional story, that didn't necessarily reflected her personal life.

• Like 4

I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

1 minute ago, BoyToySoldier said:

I think that Womanizer set the tone for the era to be more mysterious, because it’s an electro banger that isn’t very reminiscent of a traditional Circus concept.

International woman of mystery was supposed to be the theme of Femme Fatale, and they ****** that up... could have been a really fun and non-generic era. Althought we did get dancey back

anigif_original-grid-image-18957-1403798

10 minutes ago, IconicShow said:

Yet Womanizer at the time broke the record with the highest jump to #1. 

This also happened to be her last Iconic video. 

I think it's mostly because it was launched as her comeback single. Circus probably would've done the same 

3 minutes ago, chanse84 said:

Womanizer all the way. Plus at that time...she was doing double live performances for promotion...Womanizer and Circus...so they were basically dual lead singles

:outwithit:

Not really. Circus was only performed on GMA. 

No. 

Womanizer is an instantly iconic & memorable, catchy earworm of a banger. 

Circus is an amazing, but underrrated, single that people forget about - and how much they like it - until it randomly springs up on them. As a lead single, it would have had the same impact as HIAM - because GP forgets about that one too in favour of TTWE. 

• Like 7
  • Deactivated

Circus is a great song to perform to (not you POMney), but the song as a whole IMO is just ok. It feels like there is something missing on the song to make it stand out. It's a good song but for me not lead single material.

• Like 1