Jump to content

Recommended Posts

https://hornetapp.com/stories/the-entertainer-and-the-artist-the-future-of-lady-Gaga/

saw this shared by a friend in facebook so i reckon it may be worthwhile to discuss it here (let me know though if AP)

author made interesting points in explaining how Madonna was able to overshadow Cindy Lauper, the same with Britney to Xtina, and now with Katy to Gaga. To summarize it, the entertainers (Madge and Britney) tend to have longer careers and bigger popularity than the artists (Cindy, Xtina) because less is expected of them, at least in terms of talent and delivery. While those that are labeled as serious artists had high expectations on them (to which Gaga categorizes herself to) that's why when they don't deliver the expectations, they fail.

i don't understand though why he has to leave out Janet, Beyonce and Rihanna in a different category, but I guess that's a result of stereotype - that pop is more associated with white acts as r&b is to black. Sounds a little racist, but i guess that does exist in the system.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post

Katy isn't really overshadowing Gaga. Her last era underperform but she got a lot of critical acclaimed praise while Katy had neither this era. 

Anyways I think it has to do more with attitude and music delivery. I can name a few Cindy tacks but it's limited while Madonna has a huge number of songs ppl can recognize. 

Same with Xtina. She had some well known tracks she she didn't make as many things as well know as Britney. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
8 minutes ago, Spearsfan said:

Katy isn't really overshadowing Gaga. Her last era underperform but she got a lot of critical acclaimed praise while Katy had neither this era. 

Anyways I think it has to do more with attitude and music delivery. I can name a few Cindy tacks but it's limited while Madonna has a huge number of songs ppl can recognize. 

Same with Xtina. She had some well known tracks she she didn't make as many things as well know as Britney. 

 

Hmm I almost want to disagree about Katy too because she's really a mess this era. But consider this, they both started at the same time and both were big although Gaga clearly had the upper hand during that time (The Fame vs One of the Boys). But come their second albums (Teenage Dream vs Born This Way) Katy was able to eclipse Gaga in terms of commercial success (singles at least). At their 3rd (Artpop vs Prism) Gaga was no longer as relevant as Katy. Now at their 4th albums (Witness vs Joanne), both are obviously flopping, but to the author's point Katy seem to have a more consistent career, at least as of today. And it's because Gaga started to take herself seriously while Katy sticked to the entertainer role (pretty much like Madonna and Britney). He also pointed out that critical acclaim is more favored on the "artists" that's why Gaga earns more awards than Katy.

  • Like 2
Link to post
14 minutes ago, I Always Sing Live said:

Cindy was overshadowed because she let go of the image that made her popular. In my opinion at least. :comingthru:

Gagged when you tried to stir racist **** into the pot. How are the 3 ladies you mentioned relevant to this? :awks: 

Well they were mentioned at the end of the article, that aside from two major pop stars competing there's always a black r&b artist that "runs parallel to their career":

Janet to Madonna and Cindy

Beyonce to Britney and Xtina

Rihanna to Katy and Gaga

I think I may agree that these artists are more identified with the r&b genre, but in general, they are also popstars and therefore should have been accounted by the author in his whole analysis. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
1 minute ago, Itachi said:

Hmm I almost want to disagree about Katy too because she's really a mess this era. But consider this, they both started at the same time and both were big although Gaga clearly had the upper hand during that time (The Fame vs One of the Boys). But come their second albums (Teenage Dream vs Born This Way) Katy was able to eclipse Gaga in terms of commercial success (singles at least). At their 3rd (Artpop vs Prism) Gaga was no longer as relevant as Katy. Now at their 4th albums (Witness vs Joanne), both are obviously flopping, but to the author's point Katy seem to have a more consistent career, at least as of today. And it's because Gaga started to take herself seriously while Katy sticked to the entertainer role (pretty much like Madonna and Britney). He also pointed out that critical acclaim is more favored on the "artists" that's why Gaga earns more awards than Katy.

I agree Katy had the longer peak per say but it's also because she kept the same formula throughout her albums until this recent one. Gaga changed her sound (for the worst imo) and couldn't keep the hype. 

For Xtina her downfall started from her bad attitude. The gaps between her albums were so huge as well. Most artists can't do that. Plus she started focusing on pop music and Xtina isn't a pop singer. 

The only artist on here that didn't really make mistakes is Madonna. 

The others have clear rough patches to their careers. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
5 minutes ago, Itachi said:

Well they were mentioned at the end of the article, that aside from two major pop stars competing there's always a black r&b artist that "runs parallel to their career":

I think I may agree that these artists are more identified with the r&b genre, but in general, they are also popstars and therefore should have been accounted by the author in his whole analysis. 

Oh, the author mentioned it themselves. My bad then.

I do agree that the mention of the R&B ladies was awkward and out of place. :comingthru:

Link to post
3 minutes ago, Spearsfan said:

I agree Katy had the longer peak per say but it's also because she kept the same formula throughout her albums until this recent one. Gaga changed her sound (for the worst imo) and couldn't keep the hype. 

For Xtina her downfall started from her bad attitude. The gaps between her albums were so huge as well. Most artists can't do that. Plus she started focusing on pop music and Xtina isn't a pop singer. 

The only artist on here that didn't really make mistakes is Madonna. 

The others have clear rough patches to their careers. 

Agreed on your point with Katy. And to a certain extent that also worked on Britney (BOMT, OIDIA, Britney). She did not rush in evolving her sound, but did so in only a song or two (I'm a Slave 4 U, Boys) such that when In the Zone came out the change in music (and image) is already expected. Christina, in her desire to be taken as a serious artist, immediately transformed hers to a lesser commercial success. She keeps evolving her sound from album to album and that's why when they fail to meet the expectations of critics, she was instantly written off (Bionic, Lotus). Britney did not get that with Britney Jean and Glory, which means she's still serving the "entertaining" role well: she was able to have a quite successful residency while Christina had to cancel her 2010 tour due to poor ticket sales.

i really don't have any opinion on Madonna-Cindy rivalry though as i wasn't born yet during their time. :tiffanynod: 

  • Like 2
Link to post
21 minutes ago, Itachi said:

Agreed on your point with Katy. And to a certain extent that also worked on Britney (BOMT, OIDIA, Britney). She did not rush in evolving her sound, but did so in only a song or two (I'm a Slave 4 U, Boys) such that when In the Zone came out the change in music (and image) is already expected. Christina, in her desire to be taken as a serious artist, immediately transformed hers to a lesser commercial success. She keeps evolving her sound from album to album and that's why when they fail to meet the expectations of critics, she was instantly written off (Bionic, Lotus). Britney did not get that with Britney Jean and Glory, which means she's still serving the "entertaining" role well: she was able to have a quite successful residency while Christina had to cancel her 2010 tour due to poor ticket sales.

i really don't have any opinion on Madonna-Cindy rivalry though as i wasn't born yet during their time. :tiffanynod: 

How is Britney not written off and Xtina. They are almost exactly in the same place imo I think a Vegas show would sell for Xtina if she went there. 

I guess you have lost me because Britney and Xtina are in the same place now. 

Link to post
28 minutes ago, Spearsfan said:

How is Britney not written off and Xtina. They are almost exactly in the same place imo I think a Vegas show would sell for Xtina if she went there. 

I guess you have lost me because Britney and Xtina are in the same place now. 

Britney's in a bad place in her career but it's not Xtina bad, Xtina wouldn't be able to sell Vegas tickets, she's been irrelevant since 2006 and isn't even close to Britney's legacy. Britney still has a chance, Xtina's career has been buried. :mattafact:

  • Like 5
Link to post
1 hour ago, ShowdownITZ said:

Britney's in a bad place in her career but it's not Xtina bad, Xtina wouldn't be able to sell Vegas tickets, she's been irrelevant since 2006 and isn't even close to Britney's legacy. Britney still has a chance, Xtina's career has been buried. :mattafact:

It's not like JLO had a hit album in recent years or the Backstreet Boys. I'm sure Xtina would do fine tbh 

Especially since she hasn't performed in so long.

 

Link to post
8 minutes ago, Spearsfan said:

It's not like JLO had a hit album in recent years or the Backstreet Boys. I'm sure Xtina would do fine tbh 

Especially since she hasn't performed in so long.

 

But both have bigger fan bases than Xtina, I really don't think there's any way to salvage her career 

  • Like 1
Link to post
5 minutes ago, ShowdownITZ said:

But both have bigger fan bases than Xtina, I really don't think there's any way to salvage her career 

You are basing that off what? 

Fans really have little to do with it in Vegas. She would appease the older crowd. She has the voice. 

4 minutes ago, Camilo said:

Xtina wouldn't sell any showif she had a residency with Britney's prices, maybe she can use Katheryne's ticket prices of her flopagewitness tour :tiffcackle:

Maybe not her prices but she would do fine.

Link to post
1 minute ago, Spearsfan said:

You are basing that off what? 

Fans really have little to do with it in Vegas. She would appease the older crowd. She has the voice. 

Maybe not here prices but she would do fine.

I just don't think she can, she's been extremely irrelevant since 06, some people don't even remember her. I like her but I think there's a chance of Ashlee Simpson making a comeback before Xtina does

  • Like 3
Link to post
3 hours ago, Spearsfan said:

I agree Katy had the longer peak per say but it's also because she kept the same formula throughout her albums until this recent one. Gaga changed her sound (for the worst imo) and couldn't keep the hype. 

For Xtina her downfall started from her bad attitude. The gaps between her albums were so huge as well. Most artists can't do that. Plus she started focusing on pop music and Xtina isn't a pop singer. 

The only artist on here that didn't really make mistakes is Madonna. 

The others have clear rough patches to their careers. 

The whole erotica era, the *** book, in the 90's Whitney, Mariah and Janet were outseling Madonna left and right, and american life tho :whitney:

 

3 minutes ago, Spearsfan said:

You are basing that off what? 

Fans really have little to do with it in Vegas. She would appease the older crowd. She has the voice. 

Maybe not here prices but she would do fine.

She thinks she's too much for that tho, she prefers  to teach online how to sing and make oreo commercials  than perform for her fans :madonna:

  • Like 2
Link to post
  • Super Moderators
2 hours ago, Spearsfan said:

It's not like JLO had a hit album in recent years or the Backstreet Boys. I'm sure Xtina would do fine tbh 

Especially since she hasn't performed in so long.

 

Yeah but Jlo has a following just like the Backstreet Boys. Xtina is not the same level as them, I mean her last tour was cancelled due to low ticket sales while Jlo and BSB were consistent when touring. Xtina did it to herself, she took way too long to make albums and is too concern on making them masterpieces. No one is gonna wait that long. I mean not even working with Max with "your body " helped her so yeah her career is over music wise.

  • Like 1
Link to post
7 hours ago, Spearsfan said:

How is Britney not written off and Xtina. They are almost exactly in the same place imo I think a Vegas show would sell for Xtina if she went there. 

I guess you have lost me because Britney and Xtina are in the same place now. 

Because I think with Britney that doesn't translate to a commercial failure (record sales and shows). Britney Jean and Glory scored top 20 hits and the residency that followed, though not sold out in its entirety, was still a success. Christina on the other hand only managed top 40 hits with Bionic and Lotus and the planned tour for Bionic had to be cancelled. Though there are other factors to be considered, I think that goes to show how Britney's pop star shine in general has always been stronger than Christina's. That even if she puts out shitty shows, she still sells. We could only assume for now how Christina can manage to pull off a residency or a tour, and even a successful comeback record that's why I probably won't put them at the same league right now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
7 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

In what world has Katy overshadowed Gaga? It's the other way around. Literally the only thing Katy has to her name is her #1 singles from Teenage Dream.

Everything else was a flash in the pan, at least Gaga has had consistent eras and is still selling tour tickets.

Hmmm, I think Katy did start to overshadow Gaga in 2011 when she scored them #1 hits. In that era when Adele was already on the rise and outclassing everyone else, Katy managed to sustain momentum while Gaga started to decline. Album sales, Teenage Dream outsold Born This Way despite the tacky discounts Gaga pulled off, though the same cannot be said for their tours as Gaga outgrossed Katy. But I think to an extent that affected their next eras, where Gaga was totally outclassed by Katy in every aspect. Which, to the author's point, meant that Katy had more consistency as she was the "entertainer" one, whereas Gaga declined drastically because as an "artist" her material wasn't received well critically which affected her commercial success at the time. I guess the same cannot be said now since Katy is experiencing her own flop era in all aspects, while Gaga is managing to sell out her tour dates. So I'm really not sure about the author putting Katy in the same category as Madonna and Britney, perhaps there is another artist out there that fits well in that category.

  • Like 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block