You need it, I got it.

An unknown songwriter named Josh Stone claims Ariana Grande’s insanely successful Thank U, Next song, “7 Rings,” rips off his track titled “You Need It, I Got It.”

Stone’s song was uploaded in January 2017 – two years before “7 Rings” hit the net.

Stone’s suit points out several comparisons:

Here’s where things get dicey. Stone claims he had meetings with Universal Music Group – the same company that published “7 Rings.” He also claims to have had encounters with Ariana’s longtime collaborator, Tommy Brown, who’s worked on all of Ariana’s albums. He says Brown was interested in “You Need It, I Got It.”

For “7 Rings,” Ariana didn’t care what it took to get The Sound of Music sample approved, even if it meant giving away almost all of the track’s songwriting royalties.

Ariana’s label, Republic Records, approached Concord, the music company that has owned the the late Rodgers and Hammerstein catalog since 2017, seeking out approval of the iconic sample just several weeks before the song’s release date. Rodgers and Hammerstein are responsible for co-writing “My Favorite Things” from The Sound of Music. Ariana and her co-writing team transformed the original lyrics from “raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens” to “Breakfast at Tiffany’s and bottles of bubbles.” Elsewhere, she sings, “buy myself all of my favorite things.”

The song has a total of 10 co-writers, including Rodgers and Hammerstein. The NY Times claims Republic gave Concord the song in full prior to releasing it. Concord asked for 90% of the songwriting royalties, and Republic agreed without question. That means the other eight songwriters of “7 Rings” must divvy up the remaining 10%.

We can only presume Ariana, a huge fan of musicals, didn’t want anything threatening or delaying the release, so she and her team agreed. Smart move, because the sample helped skyrocket the song to astounding heights. It’s been streamed more than a billion times since its release, and topped the Hot 100 for seven weeks.

The song also shares a likeness to songs from 2 Chainz (whom she teamed up with for a remix of it, though not unscathed), Soulja Boy and Princess Nokia.

Do you think the songs sound alike? Let us know in the comments. Register an account in 30 seconds and use your voice!

3 Responses

  1. It’s a cute but silly hip-hoppy song, it’s not like anyone invented gold, so it’s no wonder there are similarities with so many other “songs” out there. Suing for this sounds pretentious, dishonest and desperate to me.

Leave a Reply