MC talks addiction and more.
It’s time for some real talk.
If you want to know what exactly happened to Macklemore after he made a splash on the music scene in 2013, just take a look at his brand-new MTV mini-documentary “Fully Human,” which surfaced on Friday morning (August 21).
Earlier this summer, the rapper sat down with the outlet at his Seattle crib to talk about the the pitfalls of fame, his relapse and fatherhood. It’s 10 minutes and 10 seconds of real talk with the MC and his producer Ryan Lewis, which you should totally watch, but in case you’re too busy getting ready for the weekend, we’ve rounded up 7 of the most OMG-worthy tid bits. Don’t say we never did anything for you. K?
1. If you were sick of hearing “Thrift Shop” a few years back, you weren’t alone because so was Macklemore. “It’s tight for a minute. It’s dope and then it’s like ‘Let’s turn this off’ and the world’s like ‘Nah. We’re just getting started. You have no idea,'” the rapper confessed.
2. He knows all about the sophomore slump but it doesn’t sound like he cares very much, saying, “I’m well aware of the public. I’m well aware of how I wanna come back out. I’m aware of it, and I think in an ideal world, I’m just an artist that’s in the studio making art. Is that even a possibility? No. My mind is too powerful. The fear does seep in.”
3. Macklemore understands why he was the poster child for cultural appropriation and he doesn’t necessarily disagree with his critics.
4. He was struggling with addiction when he found out that his wife Tricia was pregnant.
5. And for that very reason, he went clean in about two and a half weeks. #respect
6. He’s not sure that the rap life is really for him, saying, “In all honesty, I’m not convinced that this life, this rap game, this chase for spins on the radio and popularity, I’m not convinced that that’s the best life for me.”
7. His gorg baby girl loves herself some Snoop Dogg, especially “Gin & Juice.” Don’t we all?
Watch Macklemore’s “Fully Human” MTV documentary below!