Between good cop and bad cop, there are …
Series debuts on Thursday on NBC.
It’s really starting to feel like JENuary around here. Not only is the pop titan expected to kick off her “All I Have” Las Vegas residency at the end of the month, but the new (and last) season of “American Idol” premieres on Wednesday and her upcoming NBC investigative cop series “Shades of Blue” makes its big debut on Thursday.
BreatheHeavy was invited to an advanced screening of the one-hour season premiere on Tuesday night (January 5) in New Year City, and we have to admit we already have our DVRs set for reoccurring tapings for the next eight weeks. In case you have yet to watch the trailer, let us catch you up to date.
In the series, Jennifer plays Detective Harlee Santo/one hell of a MILF, who is part of an inner circle of corrupt Brooklyn cops. Even though they’ve helped reduce crime in the neighborhood, they cash in when it comes to bribes and kickbacks. Still, corruption is corruption and Harlee learns that the hard way when she’s busted by the Feds, and threatened to either serve as a mole in her inner circle or be sent to the slammer (leaving her teenage daughter behind). Now, we don’t want to go ahead and spill any potential spoilers, but we do want to fill you in on a few things you can expect from the weekly dose of Lopez, Ray Liotta and Drea de Matteo.
1. We all know that Jennifer drinks from some fountain of eternal youth, but it was amusing to see the her play such an aggressive role with makeup that purposely aged her.
2. Even though the premiere didn’t feature any snippets of “I Luh Ya Papi” nor “Booty,” viewers were treated to some fitting tunes, courtesy of Kanye West, Jay Z, Sia and even Marilyn Manson, throughout the episode.
3. This obviously isn’t the sort of show you should watch if you’re in the mood for the giggles. Still, the writing is mostly engaging and able to incorporate several LOL-worthy moments, particular poking fun at the investigative crime genre. Cue the Jason Bourne scene.
4. Ray Liotta is the shit. #enoughsaid
5. “Shades of Blue” is a purposeful cock tease … in a good way. It’s so dramatic up until each point of commercial breaks. Thankfully, each scene immediately transitioned into the next scene for the screening. You won’t be so lucky, so get ready to DVR your way through commercials. If not, don’t worry. It’s totally worth the wait.
Make sure you tune into “Shades of Blue” when it premieres on Thursday (January 7) at 10 p.m. EST on NBC.
Watch the trailer for Jennifer Lopez’s new NBC show “Shades of Blue” below!