From TIDAL to Rihanna this week has had a few scandals
Jay-Z, Madonna, Beyoncé, Nicki Minaj, Kanye West, and Rihanna were just a few of the artist gathered for the event. The world paid attention, and then complained.
Perhaps it was the absurdly serious tone the event and artists took that annoyed music lovers. Or perhaps it was the suggestion that we should pay anything for music. Whatever the case, people were not happy.
I’m personally all for paying artists and producers for their hard work. We’ve gotten spoiled with the accessibility of music over the past decade and often feel entitled to it, we aren’t. Artists and producers should be paid for their work, but it’s going to take more than Madonna straddling a table to make TIDAL's $240 a year price tag palatable for the masses.
The goal of the service is to make streaming services, which aren’t going anywhere anytime soon, more fair. For instance Aloe Blac wrote in a Wired op-ed that despite co-writing and singing on “Don’t Wake Me Up,” the most played song in Spotify and Pandora history with over 168 million streams; he has received a whopping $4,000 from the service.
Several artists were outspoken about their distaste for TIDAL. Marina and Lily Allen were very vocal saying it’s a money grab and too steep for fans.
TIDAL wasn’t the only controversy, Rihanna caused a stir when the internet discovered a song by artist Just Britney that sounded very familiar to your new ratchet anthem, “Bitch Betta Have My Money.”
Many of you were quick to attack Kanye, who is overseeing her album, but we should be setting our site on her producer Deputy who took credit for the songs construction before the controversy.
Deputy was cocky when he sat down with The Fader saying:
Justin Bieber is in the studio working on his new album that will feature a “grown-up” sound.
T-Pain said Aaliyah’s legacy was inflated because of her death.
A LOT has happened this week! Here's a breakdown of some of the top stories in case you missed it!The biggest story of the week was Tidal, Jay-Z’s new music streaming service.
"The record is 90-95% me—it's no shade on nobody, but at the end of the day, the record is produced by Deputy. I been in this game for a minute, so I understand how the game is, and it's cool."It’s hard to argue with that. In other news the final two Danity Kane members decided to cut their losses and start their own duo, Dumblonde.
There were quite a few great live performances this week between award shows and talk shows.
- Ciara performed her hit single “I Bet” on Kelly and Michelle
- Rihanna performed "Bitch Betta Have My Money" in bed for Jimmy Kimmel
- Justin Bieber forgot his lyrics while performing with Ariana Grande
- Kelly Clarkson performed “Heartbeat Song” on Idol
- Destiny Child reunited at the Stellar Awards
- The iHeart Radio Music Awards featured performances by Rihanna, Jason Derulo, Madonna, Nick Jonas, and Kelly Clarkson
- The Kids Choice Awards featured tame performances by Iggy, Nick Jonas, and 5 Seconds of Summer
There was a batch of new music videos from some of our faves:
- Azealia Banks served CGI Medusa realness in her new “Ice Princess” video
- Nick Jonas released another “Chains” video, because why not?
- Sia released the
3,000th3rd consecutive video featuring Maddie Ziegler for her song “Big Girls Cry”
- A never before seen version of Ellie Golding and Calvin Harris’ “I Need Your Love” made it to the internet
- Jake Miller released the visuals to his Travie McCoy song "Dazed and Confused"
- Charlie Puth enlisted Meghan Trainor, not dressed as a 50’s housewife, for the video for his song “Marvin Gaye”
- Killer’s front man Brandon Flowers premiered the video, "Can't Deny My Love," from his latest solo effort
- Will Young premiered his colorful retro video for the song “Love Revolution”
We discovered new music from some familiar and unfamiliar voices.
- Chris Brown made a public statement to his ex with his remix of Beyonce’s “Jealous”
- D.J . Craig had an interesting remake of a Backstreet Boys song
- Ciara released a dance remix of her song “I Bet” and her song “All Good” leaked
- Las Vegas native Shamir’s buzz is increasing with his latest single “Call it Off”
- We heard a clip of a new Rihanna song featuring Florence and The Machine as well as her remix to “Bitch Betta Have My Money”
- Becky G is back with the Dr. Luke produced "Lovin' So Hard"
- Janelle Monáe released her frisky new single “Yoga”
- Madonna’s “Ghostown” received the official remix treatment
Last, but not least our girl Britney has been laying low preparing for that “Pretty Girls” video. But the show goes on without her:
- A surprise “new” CD was discovered!
- Iggy confirmed that “Pretty Girls” is in for Britney’s new album
- She ran into a glass door for April Fools Day
- Breatheheavy’s James Dinh took us with him to a Britney dance class in NYC
- She won the Best Show in Vegas!