music

music We Need To Talk About Britney's 'Glory' Track "What You Need"

This morning I was playing music on shuffle on spotify in my car with a friend, then WHAT YOU NEED comes on and my friend (a no bfan girl who sometimes listens to Britney) and she started dancing and improvising lipsync to this song since she doesn't even know it and she said: "I like the jazzy rythm" :hibebe:

To me, as a fan since 1999, I love this song because I appreciate the fact she sings, or at least she tries to sing in a different way and incorporates a fun style, I love when she does that, it’s very jazzy, fun and it would be so perfect if she ever sings it live.... 

.... but I also admit that the classic chipmunk nasal voice is kind of obvious and annoying for some people, specially for non-fans. To me, it feels good to hear Britney singing something different because I have been following her steps since forever ago but for a random person from the gp (just like my friend) it may sound annoying. 

My feelings towards WHAT YOU NEED are 50% I love it :jamout: but 50% I hate it :dontlike:

What do you guys think??? 

I like it as a stand-alone track... I mean I like it but it’s not on my reasons for liking Glory. Sort of reminds me of Celine Dion ‘River Deep, Mountain high’. Could imagine her singing it live quite well whilst still keeping it energetic without loads of dancing.

I've been a fan since 99' as well, and I enjoy the song 50/50 too. I love that she plays with her vocals and she adds the true deepness in her voice. It gives me Thinkin about you/ The beat goes on vibes. The jazzy vibe reminds me of the cabaret version of BOMT that she did. This song toned down like that would be amazing live!! I also don't think the song fits with the Glory album and that's why I'm :snarky: about it.

I don't hate it. I was really impressed when I first listened to it, especially the "I got you, I got you, I got you, ... , I got youuuuuu". The rhythm is kinda nice and it would work fun for a live performance (just one time performance, not a recurrent one like on tour or something) or as a music video or featured on a movie scene or something, but that's it.

I tend to skip it lately, but mostly because of the structure or lack of it. My favorite kind of songs are the ones that follow that verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus-chorus formula, like most of the classic Max Martin songs. But songs like WYN with those infinite "yeah yeah yeah yeah"'s at the end or the way the song finishes with "baby I got what you, baby I got what you wan" x 1000 is just too much. 

I googled the lyrics, it literally looks like this:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo...hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo
Hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo...hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo
I got you, I got you, I got you, I got you
I got you, I got you, I got you, I got you
Baby I got what you, baby I got what you want
Baby I got what you, baby I got what you

That was fun

Maybe if the lines in red weren't there it would be more tolerable.

There are songs that work well the repetitive words, like Womanizer, even Gimme More (and I'm not so sure about that) but here it just comes off as lazy. Sometimes I start listening to it and just instinctively change to the next song before the annoying part starts.

And it's not that annoying once I listen to it, it's just the thought of knowing there comes the repetitive part what makes me skip it. 

I think it’s a real fun song but I feel like it’s too pitchy. I wonder if it would’ve been better in a different (lower) key

I’m glad we have this song though. Some parts are absolutely fantastic 

I'm 50/50 on it, too. I think it's, in her words, fun. It's not a bad song, and I think her vocals sound pretty great on it. I could do without the artificially deepened part at the end, which is just kind of odd. It's one of those songs I just really have to be in the mood for.

28 minutes ago, colormefresh said:

This fanbase also chose Criminal to be a single, so.... I don’t have hope for anyone anymore.

how dare you. criminal showed a different side of britney, deserved to be a single. :rlynow: 

31 minutes ago, colormefresh said:

I don’t listen to it ever but I’m glad she sang it.

This fanbase begs for Vocalney and passion, but they bash her whenever she presents it. It’s very annoying.

THANK YOU. 

ezgif-4080201767.gif

Meh the song is interesting but I find it boring to listen to. I'm not really a fan of the whole 30's/40's broadway-esque sound. Britney's vocals are good though and a performance of this song would be interesting.