Sign in to follow this  
Menzo

A forum discussing Madonna in 1985

This is so weird... I read through the posts and it really does sound like a bunch of people talking about their opinions of Madonna circa 1985. Like "by 1990 where will Madonna be?" and all of the references to Michael Jackson, Mae West, other stars from the 30s to the 80s.

How...? :ohdear:

3 hours ago, fucknfurter said:

That's impossible. While the internet existed back then (1983), it wasn't available to the public until 1991.

https://thenextweb.com/insider/2011/08/06/20-years-ago-today-the-world-wide-web-opened-to-the-public/

Actually wrong.The "internet" you know was introduced to the general public in the 90s but it was actually long before available in smaller networks for government, universities etc (Arpanet.) It wasn't a forum like the ones we know for sure since obviously back then browsers didn't exist, but it looks more like a limited local network "chat" (it would look like what emails look like) between people and apparently their conversation was abt Madonna.I see on that "forum" certain codes like UUCP which was a protocol used back in the 80s in limited networks for exchange of files or emails etc.To my understanding it actually looks like a limited (local) "group chat" between people.It doesn't look fake and if it is fake then someone went through a lot of trouble to fake codes and events from the 80s for one harmless madonna discussion :)   

6 hours ago, Rope Bunny said:

Actually wrong.The "internet" you know was introduced to the general public in the 90s but it was actually long before available in smaller networks for government, universities etc (Arpanet.) It wasn't a forum like the ones we know for sure since obviously back then browsers didn't exist, but it looks more like a limited local network "chat" (it would look like what emails look like) between people and apparently their conversation was abt Madonna.I see on that "forum" certain codes like UUCP which was a protocol used back in the 80s in limited networks for exchange of files or emails etc.To my understanding it actually looks like a limited (local) "group chat" between people.It doesn't look fake and if it is fake then someone went through a lot of trouble to fake codes and events from the 80s for one harmless madonna discussion :)   

I knew it was available to the military and government long before us, yes. I meant specifically, the general public. I mean,..... I guess, I just.... that's so strange. So would these people have to have been involved in the government, or just very rich?

3 hours ago, fucknfurter said:

I knew it was available to the military and government long before us, yes. I meant specifically, the general public. I mean,..... I guess, I just.... that's so strange. So would these people have to have been involved in the government, or just very rich?

It's not strange, back then before the "Internet" there were a lot of network types using different protocols that were limited to some degree depending also on what they were used for.What you know as Internet was their attempt to merge all those different networks under one.The "Internet" wasn't something new, it was essentially a method to connect all the different network methods and/or replace some of them with new ones which would be far more efficient.
Before the Internet, those networks were limited to military and universities.Computers and (local) networks existed in universities and they were of course accessible to researchers,students etc.

These people were at uni. Not involved in the government or rich. And judging by the codes in their chat they were using Usenet newsgroup which was created in the early 80s.

1 hour ago, Rope Bunny said:

It's not strange, back then before the "Internet" there were a lot of network types using different protocols that were limited to some degree depending also on what they were used for.What you know as Internet was their attempt to merge all those different networks under one.The "Internet" wasn't something new, it was essentially a method to connect all the different network methods and/or replace some of them with new ones which would be far more efficient.
Before the Internet, those networks were limited to military and universities.Computers and (local) networks existed in universities and they were of course accessible to researchers,students etc.

These people were at uni. Not involved in the government or rich. And judging by the codes in their chat they were using Usenet newsgroup which was created in the early 80s.

Ah, uni. Now that does make more sense.

Thanks for the explanation!

I love this one lol

Good point, Ken. My impression is that Madonna is *not at all* in
charge of her career or her marketing scheme. Her popularity is
the work of the (male-dominated) entertainment industry, that will
dress someone up in a gorilla suit if it will sell records, posters,
lunchboxes, etc... Madonna is a product of sexist imaginations.
Do not give her any credit for her image. It wasn't her idea.
Flame away, pseudo-feminists!

-Todd Jones

this is videogames related tho, but there are funny old forum posts laying around about people dragging nintendo in the early 90s/late 80s and the drag was the exact same they use until today (sega will overthrow them and they will be bankrupt by then, they will not last long, bad graphics, something about princess zelda's first period)

it's the same for madonna and everyone else then lmao