The Greatest Show

Why are Record Labels giving up so fast??

11 minutes ago, Tear the floor up up said:

Did her singles perform well on radio with the ban still?

It did very well. Almost all of her singles went inside the top 5 and top 10 for radio airplay, while Baby, Oops and Toxic went No.1 for airplay. With the support of a single sales, I believe Crazy, Lucky, Oops, Toxic, Everytime would have easily reach No.1 on the Hot 100 charts. But for the "Britney" album it definitely did not do well on the radio airplay charts.This was the era where Clear Channel banned her from radio.  Having said that, MTV was playing her videos all the time. So I dont really think the radio ban affects her album sales by that much. 

15 minutes ago, Spearsfan said:

Xtina could easily do theaters like Britney is doing in the US. She just had too much pride. 

I dont think its a pride thing with Christina. She has no problem playing at weddings for a couple of million of Dollars or at random parties. And even when she was successfull she had no problem playing at small gigs for the right price. In 2007 she had the most successful female tour and one year later she played at a Halloween party for 1 million. In 2002 She did a small set at the Roxy theatre and played acoustic in a small bar. She has also sang at smaller parties for Linda Perry and Justin Timberlake.. so I dont think its that she doesnt like smaller venues. Also you could also use a big venue and curtain a lot of it off like Gaga did. + She also has no issue doing smaller festivals and actually really seems to enjoy doing smaller venues. With Christina you can allways tell when she hates doing somehting.

I think that they really did intend on resceduling her tour in 2011 but then she got divorced, depressed, fat and maybe wasnt feeling up to it. Or they thought "ok we could do a tour but nobody bought your last album why dont we rush a new pop album instead? " That would also explain why they released Lotus so damn  fast.

3 hours ago, patr!ckjean said:

Good question. Probably because album sales are in the toilet for good, and now if the single tanks why bother with churning money into promoting that single when the album itself might just sell more but album may receive massive streams in a best case scenario. 

Streams are a joke as far as revenue is concerned. 

I agree about album sales. A 1 million selling album in 1999 would sell only about 200,000 to 300,000 copies these days. It's sad what's happened to the music industry.

The industry was veryyyy different in the early 2000s. Firstly. Britney and Christina were exceptions because even with low charting singles they were selling a lot of albums. it was hard for pop actss songs to chart well in 2001-2006 because rock and rap took over in the USA . hence why Toxic peaked at #9. so they carried on with the album/singles/tour and promo as planned which was smart. also, remember brit was banned on USA radio in 2001-2003 the whole britney era. she charted based on sales.

I still think they give up too easily today though

2 hours ago, The Greatest Show said:

I dont think its a pride thing with Christina. She has no problem playing at weddings for a couple of million of Dollars or at random parties. And even when she was successfull she had no problem playing at small gigs for the right price. In 2007 she had the most successful female tour and one year later she played at a Halloween party for 1 million. In 2002 She did a small set at the Roxy theatre and played acoustic in a small bar. She has also sang at smaller parties for Linda Perry and Justin Timberlake.. so I dont think its that she doesnt like smaller venues. Also you could also use a big venue and curtain a lot of it off like Gaga did. + She also has no issue doing smaller festivals and actually really seems to enjoy doing smaller venues. With Christina you can allways tell when she hates doing somehting.

I think that they really did intend on resceduling her tour in 2011 but then she got divorced, depressed, fat and maybe wasnt feeling up to it. Or they thought "ok we could do a tour but nobody bought your last album why dont we rush a new pop album instead? " That would also explain why they released Lotus so damn  fast.

For the right price but she isn’t in huge demand so her prices can’t be crazy expensive. 

Bionic wasn’t going to be a theater show though. They also gave up on the label so quick. I love NMT but it was a poor choice for single purely on the explicit label. 

3 hours ago, It'sSamB!tch said:

Younger Now just sucks and that's why. It's a really boring album played safe. Also, DJs are far more popular now than pop artists...the radio is all about shitty music lately

Maybe to today's generation standards but younger now is such a classic sound and its actually music music... Unfortunatley the harshness of todays generation wont recognize it or care. They just want forgetful number 1 hits that arent memorable 

6 minutes ago, ZAM9315 said:

Maybe to today's generation standards but younger now is such a classic sound and its actually music music... Unfortunatley the harshness of todays generation wont recognize it or care. They just want forgetful number 1 hits that arent memorable 

YN is not everyone's Cup of tea. I was open minded to it but I personally think it’s bad. 

We all like Britney so it’s not purely criticized because it wasn’t #1. 

It depends on every artist, Madonna doesn't do well or decent with her singles since a decade ago, but still remains the best selling tour solo artist of all time. Madonna literally can sit on everybody faces, and she dares to play her new album songs every single tour she does even though most people haven't heard of it. That's what I call a true professional, she doesn't give up just because she didn't sell well or had a number 1 single, she still plays her new music. :likethat:

Labels don't make money from streaming and sales are too down for them to make a lot of profits. So they don't care at all because the money isn't there like they want it to be and they have the same people in charge of record labels who are like 80 and don't know what to do. They're stuck in their way of doing things and can't keep up. More diversity behind the scenes would improve the talent we have in the industry and the promotional tactics.