breatheheavy

Quincy Jones Thinks Taylor Swift Makes Bad Music

Legendary producer Quincy Jones is not a Swifty.

Legendary producer Quincy Jones is not a Swifty.

Jones is no stranger to crafting some of music's biggest records of all time, including producing Michael Jackson's albums Off the Wall, Thriller, Bad. He knows what makes a song good, and what makes one great.

Speaking with GQ, Jones opened up about working with Frank Sinatra, having 22 girlfriends(!!!) and his admiration for artists such as Kendrick Lamar, Bruno Mars, Drake, Mary J. Blige, and Jennifer Hudson.

The interviewer brings up Taylor Swift, arguably the best-selling artist on the planet right now, and things take a turn. He says Swift has bad songs and we're all fools for thinking otherwise.

Here's a copy + paste excerpt from the article. You can read the full thing here.

GQ: But, say, Taylor Swift, I guess, is the biggest pop star on the planet in terms of sales right now and this week is about to sell over a million copies of her new album. Do you like her?

Jones makes a face, somewhere between disapproval and disdain.

GQ: What's wrong with it?

Quincy Jones: "We need more songs, man. F---ing songs, not hooks."

GQ: Some people consider her the great songwriter of our age. He laughs.

Quincy Jones: "Whatever crumbles your cookie."

GQ: What's missing?

Quincy Jones: "Knowing what you're doing. You know what I mean? Since I was a little kid, I've always heard the people that don't wanna do the work. It takes work, man. The only place you find success before work is the dictionary, and that's alphabetical."

GQ: So if you were producing a record for Taylor Swift, what would you have her do?

Quincy Jones: "I'll figure something out. Man, the song is the s--t—that's what people don't realize. A great song can make the worst singer in the world a star. A bad song can't be saved by the three best singers in the world. I learned that 50 years ago."

GQ: Plenty of people talk as though Taylor Swift has great songs.

Quincy Jones: "But they don't know, man. They don't know. I've come and gone through seven decades of this s--t. Seen all that. Seen how that works. Ignorance is no thing."

Thoughts on Quincy's statements? Leave a comment below!

And while you're at it... follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram.

Quincy Jones is a legend who worked with the iconic and incredibly talented Michael Jackson on some of the best and most successful albums ever created. 

Taylor Swift is basic, overrated and if she were a man who dated 10 famous women over the course of 5 years and then wrote songs about them blaming them for everything that went wrong in said relationship - they would get dragged for being sexist/misogynistic. But oh because she's a woman, she's allowed to :nonono:

I agree with Quincy :clap1:

It's somewhat true. "Look What You Made Me Do" is one of the worst songs of this past decade even though it has one of the best hooks (in this case the prechorus) I've heard in a long while. The "I got smarter, I got harder, in the nick of time..." is brilliant but the rest of the song just buries it 10 feet under. :ponderney:

5 minutes ago, I Always Sing Live said:

It's somewhat true. "Look What You Made Me Do" is one of the worst songs of this past decade even though it has one of the best hooks (in this case the prechorus) I've heard in a long while. The "I got smarter, I got harder, in the nick of time..." is brilliant but the rest of the song just buries it 10 feet under. :ponderney:

Brilliant? :hairflip:

11 hours ago, HoneyStyle said:

Sorry but Taylor does have quite a bunch of fantastic songs and I'm saying that as a person who couldn't stand her. lol. I bet he thinks Beyonce is incredible and I find her stuff shitty. After the Dangerously in Love album that is, everything before that was amazing.

But the lyrics are just blank, like she tells how it is, there is no secret behind it and in interviews she brags about her ex-boyfriends like keep it classy? No? Ok...

She is just at the top because the lack of better options these days.

I don’t like Taylor and her music is beyond overrated but this Whole statement is rude.

He is insulting a lot of writers, producers, editors, and artists for his own personal opinion. 

By the looks of it (I could be wrong) he would insult any genre that isn’t rap or R&b. 

Thank god someone finally said it lol I dont mind Taylor at all but i have to agree nowadays its all about throwing a simple hook together and calling it a "song". IE Wiggle by Jason Derulo and a lot of other songs. :imok: Which is why BOMT, Thriller, Like A Prayer etc will be timeless.