We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

breatheheavy

Taylor Swift’s ‘Reputation’ Has Arrived

There will be no further explanation. There will just be reputation.

There will be no further explanation. There will just be reputation.

Usually on Thursday nights, BreatheHeavy plops the latest pop music embeds onto the blog, but tonight is different. Tonight is the release of Taylor Swift's new album, Reputation.

Swift decided to withhold her new album Reputation from streaming platforms. Why? Because she can. And because it'll help secure a massive opening week.

Her label Big Machine Records anticipates Tay Tay will sell 2 million units by next Friday. That remains to be seen, but despite the record not landing on Apple Music or Spotify, this is a major music moment.

Reputation is Swift's answer to the media's endless coverage and a response to the haters. She's fully embraced her inner snake spirit animal. Lead single "Look What You Made Me Do" is ironic in a sense. She absolutely disregards any responsibility for her actions because we, according to Swift, made her this way. That's problematic, because it illustrates a lack of ownership. Unless this is her way of taking back control. It's confusing.

Instead of explaining herself, Swift decided to turn off comments on Instagram and remain relatively hidden. She has yet to give a single interview and has not performed any of the new tunes (that will change on Saturday Night Live this weekend).

Swift has thrown a couple of crumbs, however. She held a ~super exclusive~ private listening party for fans at one of her mansions, and even visited a few of them at their homes. Still, Swift feels very untouchable, and not in a good way. Like the kind of way if you get too close to the sun you'll go down in flames.

It's obviously very premature to write a review of the record after only a couple of listens. Swift's lyrics are meticulous, and it will take some time to dive into. For now, I'll be grabbing my credit card like the rest of us and shelling out for the full thing, because I have a hard time justifying why I shouldn't, and she knows it. She always. fucking. knows.

Buy Reputation on iTunes here. Or, if you're feeling adventurous, head over to Target to buy one (or both) of Swift's special edition magazines that features the album, new photos, paintings and poems created by Taylor herself.

Thoughts on Reputation? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

Her worst yet. Definitely the weakest of her 6 releases. Only 3-4 songs I can tolerate. A couple gems, but the rest is a disaster. Super disappointed, as I was really looking forward to this. I reluctantly admit that 1989 was my jam even though Taylor isn't my favorite. The persona that she tries to portray just rubs me the wrong way, but I try to put that aside to enjoy her music. I can't do that with this record though. It's awful! But because her precious name is on it and the fact that she's restricting streaming, I'm sure it'll blow up. Not because of it's quality though. Because of her reputation.

2 hours ago, brocklovesgreys said:

Her worst yet. Definitely the weakest of her 6 releases. Only 3-4 songs I can tolerate. A couple gems, but the rest is a disaster. Super disappointed, as I was really looking forward to this. I reluctantly admit that 1989 was my jam even though Taylor isn't my favorite. The persona that she tries to portray just rubs me the wrong way, but I try to put that aside to enjoy her music. I can't do that with this record though. It's awful! But because her precious name is on it and the fact that she's restricting streaming, I'm sure it'll blow up. Not because of it's quality though. Because of her reputation.

Girl you only listened to the thing once. Give it a chance. Let it blossom. I listened to it five times and I enjoy it. It's almost perfect. 

These lyrics are frequently set to music that sees Swift cutting her last ties with her Nashville roots in favour of the blare and honk of EDM-influenced pop. At their best, these songs have a fizzing, pugilistic energy that recalls Britney Spears’ brilliant, mid-breakdown, screw-you-all 2007 album Blackout (in another reference to Spears, the brilliant chorus of Don’t Blame Me features a chord progression that recalls Hit Me, Baby, One More Time). 

Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/nov/10/taylor-swift-reputation-review-superb-songcraft-meets-extreme-drama 

1 hour ago, Alex_1991 said:

I just dislike her. I can't listen to her, I can't stand her at all. And Don't Blame Me (which is not brilliant at all) doesn't recall Bomt 

Is this how Britney was overexposed in the early 2000s? Because the media/teens have been shoving Taylor down my throat since she got popular :triggered:

20 minutes ago, Mohd93 said:

Is this how Britney was overexposed in the early 2000s? Because the media/teens have been shoving Taylor down my throat since she got popular :triggered:

no.

Britney was overexposed for real. she couldn't control anything they had done to her... she couldn't escape from it. plus she was dealing with bad people around her.

while Taylor... come on. it's all staged. i don't believe a single thing that she is credited for being a victim or innocent. she knew how the media work way before all the little polemic stuff she was involved (mainly boyfriends only, the games cheat on him/cheat on her). and she always had the best team around her giving her advices on how to react to every media title out there. :kesha:

so yeah basically she is the main prototype of an pop star attention whore nowadays. :mariahstare:

4 hours ago, brocklovesgreys said:

It's basically all Max Martin and associates work. Not innovative at all.

Just listened. There are standout tracks where the production is amazing but a lot of songs are Taylor Swift doing what she's always been doing. In a lot of songs, she talks (fast sometimes) over the music she's not singing, and I don't understand how Antonoff was able to craft an amazing album such as Melodrama with Lorde and he does that with Taylor. The album is a mix of every pop music we hear on the radio with inspiration (I would guess) from Superchicks (old I know) and every other pop act that has been successful in the 2000's. I don't think Martin did his best. A few song lyrics sound like the pages of a high school girl, while some (a couple) are more adult. Overall with the hype and the fact that it's Taylor Swift, the album is disappointing and "Ready" and "LWYMMD" don't reflect at all the spirit of the full work. :NYsassy::byebitch: