We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Sign in to follow this  
breatheheavy

Nicki Minaj: I Reintroduced The Female Rapper To Pop Culture

Queen of hip-hop!

No lies detected.

Nicki Minaj gives herself a much-deserved pat on the back for bringing a female presence back into hip-hop and rap culture.

She gave a telling interview to XXL and touched on the respect she received early on from industry heavy-hitters like Jay Z, Eminem and Kanye West. “My role in hip-hop has been super unique because when my first album came out, there had been so much time where there wasn’t a female rap album out that went platinum,” she explained. “There wasn’t a big female rap presence right before I got in. So, my role was really reintroducing the female rapper to pop culture.”

Nicki also delves into hip-hop's influence on, well, everything. “I don’t think [female rappers] got that much credit. I think female rappers have always been dope and influential, but I think I sort of came in at a time where big business was paying attention, so I was able to capitalize off of a lot of deals and business ventures.”

Internet trolls are trying to stir the pot. They're twisting Nicki's words around to make it appear like she's taking credit for Cardi B's recent chart topping feats with "Bodak Yellow," which is not the case. Minaj has undoubtedly rocked the industry like very few female MCs ever have; she spoke the truth.

Watch below:

A post shared by Barbie® (@nickiminaj) on

Do YOU agree with Nicki? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

The problem with Nicki is that she brags about her hits and accomplishments in her songs and does not let her work speak for itself, I mean you don't see Britney going around and rubbing her successful epic legacy in people's face, Britney's humble and lets her music and work speak for itself, that's when the love and admiration comes in, Cardi B is hella humble and  does not let fame  get to her head :yaknow: 

21 minutes ago, Gayseus911 said:

The problem with Nicki is that she brags about her hits and accomplishments in her songs and does not let her work speak for itself, I mean you don't see Britney going around and rubbing her successful epic legacy in people's face, Britney's humble and lets her music and work speak for itself, that's when the love and admiration comes in, Cardi B is hella humble and  does not let fame  get to her head :yaknow: 

Those comparisons are almost impossible though, honestly. Hip hop in general is really brag heavy, whereas pop music is a lot less focused on bragging lyrically. Even still, Britney is a pretty massive exception to the norm. She is undeniably one of the most humble acts in pop music, almost to the point where she pisses off her fans because it seems like she doesn't care. Nicki on the other hand does follow industry expectations, and she does admittedly have a lot to brag about. Her brand of rap has always been very influenced by braggadocio, so I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Also, it is borderline impossible to compare Nicki and Cardi B right now. Yes, Cardi bested Nicki by becoming the first female rapper to top the Billboard Hot 100, but she has had one hit so far. We can compare their egos in a couple years if Cardi is still around because who knows how the industry's newcomer will adjust to the fame if she makes it that far.

So, does Lil' Kim get credit for this then since Minaj's entire career was based off of hers? And Kim was still heavily played and featured when Nicki came in. Nicki makes it sound like there were no female MC's out when she came up. Plus, exactly what OCBoy1985 said. She is barely hip-hop. Starships, Super Bass, really? Nicki will forever be just another one of them pop girls. 

2 hours ago, OCBoy1985 said:

Yea but she did it doing Pop music not real Hip Hop and Rap and ntm all the shady sh!t she does behind the scenes to the new girls trying to get their foot in ... Matter of fact I’m still waiting on Nicki to respond to Shether Remy KILLED her for 7 straight min :embarrassney:

It's 50/50. On one side, she does have a point. Lauryn Hill was the 90s along with Lil Kim and both her and Missy were the 2000's. Now Nicki shapes the 2010's. On the other side, all her signature hits are pop records. That have won pop awards and were prominently featured in the pop mainstream. She also released a pop album. That's something none of the other girls have done. I guess she gets the credit for bubblegum hip hop? Idk.

3 hours ago, anthony7226 said:

So, does Lil' Kim get credit for this then since Minaj's entire career was based off of hers? And Kim was still heavily played and featured when Nicki came in.

Exactly. She acting like she wasn't in her feelings cause Kim was on the freaky girl remix and she wasn't :mattafact:

6 hours ago, Gayseus911 said:

Nicki ego is beyond massive U would've thought she was Beyonce or somebody :tiffcackle:

8 hours ago, anthony7226 said:

So, does Lil' Kim get credit for this then since Minaj's entire career was based off of hers? And Kim was still heavily played and featured when Nicki came in. Nicki makes it sound like there were no female MC's out when she came up. Plus, exactly what OCBoy1985 said. She is barely hip-hop. Starships, Super Bass, really? Nicki will forever be just another one of them pop girls. 

18 hours ago, anthony7226 said:

Kim is The real Queen and the mother all those rap chicks ... every Rap bitch after Kim got their style from Kim except for Missy and Lauryn!

Nicki got her whole style from Kim claiming she loves her but was throwing mad shots at her and all the other girls when she 1st came in and she never try’s and put any new girls on or ft any of the legends that she so called respected.

All she talks about is sales and charts cause she’s a very insecure person.

Kim broke down barriers and payed the way for these Rap bitches to be able to rap about sex and all the things Kim talked about and if it was never a Lil Kim it would’ve never been a Nicki Minaj and Kim NEVER switched over to Pop even when she could have and she always remained HUMBLE 

23 hours ago, RAWR! said:

Exactly. She acting like she wasn't in her feelings cause Kim was on the freaky girl remix and she wasn't :mattafact:

For real. Throwing herself at Gucci, all pressed cause Kim got a verse and she didn't. Let It Go by Keyshia feat Missy and Kim was all over radio at that time. She was hatin'. 

8 hours ago, OCBoy1985 said:

All she talks about is sales and charts cause she’s a very insecure person.

You're right. She is all brag status, no substance. It's "I'm the queen of this, I run this, I run that". I can't stand the ho no way. :foh:

16 hours ago, anthony7226 said:

You're right. She is all brag status, no substance. It's "I'm the queen of this, I run this, I run that". I can't stand the ho no way. :foh:

Did she lie tho? Like her or not, she has zero competition! Lil Kim ain't a threat anymore, never been tho! :messbye:

On 10/12/2017 at 7:48 PM, OCBoy1985 said:

Yea but she did it doing Pop music not real Hip Hop and Rap and ntm all the shady sh!t she does behind the scenes to the new girls trying to get their foot in ... Matter of fact I’m still waiting on Nicki to respond to Shether Remy KILLED her for 7 straight min :embarrassney:

So a trash bitch as Gaga can go country roots inspired, but when Nicki Minaj goes pop she's a fraud? No, bitch, the only fraud right here is Remy sh!t Ma by rapping LIES for 7 minutes.  What a lame bitch, where she at right now? :lanacackle:

2 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Stinki Garbaj and her b̶a̶r̶b̶i̶e̶s̶ Cabbage Patch Kids seem to be pressedT and have a problem with everybody though. Sad!

DL6cL-nUIAE3Ri8?format=jpg

The only pressedT thing on here is you, babe. I don't care about them barbs or anything related to them, or especially with Missy. I'm just enjoying some of Minaj songs and I come here for those pressed lame asses that are showing hate to Nicki.... because of what? By stating facts? Come on, even if she was wrong what's their problem? Girl is having the time of her life because YES she's THE Queen, YES she has ZERO competition, YES she >>>> that pressed Lil Kim being a desperate hoe cause Nicki and her team didn't call her to stand by Nicki's side! She can f**k OFF, she was a fucking flop even before! The only thing she has is that she was the first female MC among them moguls!