We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Sign in to follow this  
breatheheavy

It's A Good Thing Miley Cyrus Hates The Charts, Cause 'Younger Now' Only Sold 33,000 Albums

What goes up must come down.

What goes up must come down.

It wasn't that long ago Miley Cyrus was flying high on the charts, but her new album, Younger Now, although lyrically her best work, did not resonate with listeners. She debuted at No. 5 this week with 33,000 album units (or 45,000 sales plus streaming). That's a glaringly abysmal opener compared to 2013's Bangerz, which debuted with 270,000 units in its opening week.

She told Howard Stern in a new interview that charts are irrelevant. However, if you've been following the pop star on Twitter since the release of "Malibu," you'll know she really, really does care about the charts.

She had some tough competition.

Demi Lovato's Tell Me You Love Me is an exceptionally great album. Probably her best. But there was no competing against Shania Twain's new record Now; it was 15 years in the making. An unexpected (and unfortunate) return was the late Tom Petty (and The Heartbreakers') re-entry with the Greatest Hits compilation, which swooped in at No. 2.

Why is this happening? Miley's sparkly, larger-than-life persona she created was fascinating to watch. The messiness and unpredictability was a juicy ingredient for her Bangerz bops. Clearly, people aren't here for can't be tame Miley. Younger Now also doesn't appear to have a solid radio hit. The album title track, "Malibu," "Week Without You" and "Inspired" were fun tracks, and the songwriting is honest and strong, but they lack the pizazz we've grown accustomed to.

Idolator put together a list of recent first-week debuts from our female pop star favs for a little perspective, and while I don't like to pit women against each other, the numbers don't lie.

• Beyonce’s Lemonade (653,000)

• Lady Gaga’s Joanne (201,000)

• Katy Perry’s Witness (180,000)

• Ariana Grande’s Dangerous Woman (175,000)

• Shania Twain’s Now (137,000)

• Selena Gomez’s Revival (117,000)

• Kesha’s Rainbow (117,000)

• Britney Spears’ Glory (111,000)

• Lorde’s Melodrama (109,000)

• Lana Del Rey’s Lust For Life (107,000)

• Halsey’s hopeless fountain kingdom (106,000)

• Sia’s This Is Acting (81,000)

• Demi Lovato’s Tell Me You Love Me (75,000)

• Solange’s A Seat At The Table (72,000)

• Fifth Harmony’s self-titled (46,0000)

• Miley Cyrus’ Younger Now (45,000)

Thoughts on Miley's opening week? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

The saddest part about this whole post is how many copies of Lemonade were sold. Sad to see the direction the music industry is going in. Why do people buy that? Ahh. I'll never understand. As for Younger Now, it's awful. TBH, I'm surprised it sold as many as it did.

I respect the fact Miley did what she did with her latest album visually and musically. She could have done the Miley antics that we have all become accustomed to. But with a year seeing countless female pop star after pop star choose sexuality over substance with no huge success. It's refreshing to see a young female pop star stick to her guns and choose to grow up and not be a slave to dying trends.

It's too bad, since this is the only album of hers that is listenable all the way through. But let's not pretend she didn't know what she was doing. It's been 4 years since she released music commercially, and she knew that independently releasing Miley Cyrus and her Dead Petz for free was going to make her lose some of that steam. I say that's okay... it wasn't sustainable anyway.

58 minutes ago, JChristian said:

I respect the fact Miley did what she did with her latest album visually and musically. She could have done the Miley antics that we have all become accustomed to. But with a year seeing countless female pop star after pop star choose sexuality over substance with no huge success. It's refreshing to see a young female pop star stick to her guns and choose to grow up and not be a slave to dying trends.

Completely agree. More artist need to not give a sh!t about charts and make sharper music, even if it's risking to miss a No.1. Who cares if it's good !
Pop is not the same quality as it used to be. Too much singers are choosing safe directions, to make it super global, and reach much people as possible.
But sorry safe is boring ! Be bold bitches ! 

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, SelinaKyle said:

Completely agree. More artist need to not give a sh!t about charts and make sharper music, even if it's risking to miss a No.1. Who cares if it's good !
Pop is not the same quality as it used to be. Too much singers are choosing safe directions, to make it super global, and reach much people as possible.
But sorry safe is boring ! Be bold bitches ! 

giphy.gif

How are pop stars keeping it safe and doing great on the charts for it? Pop is struggling. 

Charts are very important to show if an artist will get budget and can tour. 

Katy's album and singles did pretty bad for her and her tour is struggling to sell. next era if things don't look up they won't invest in a tour 

Gaga's album sold pretty well and her tour did great. 

So sales allows these things. 

Miley said she she won't tour this album. Not because she doesn't want to because she knows it will flop. Unless she did small theaters 

I love Miley and still respect her for putting out the album she wanted. but an album titled 'bangerz' Is absolutely going to sell vs an album that is widely accepted as being all mid tempos. 

that being said....does anyone have the album and wanna send it to me? hehehehe 

1 hour ago, Spearsfan said:

Unless she did small theaters 

I think that would be a good idea for her to do over the next year. Just to continue to regain a bit of credibility back. Other than The Voice, I believe the gp mainly remember her for her Bangerz era and Hana Montana. Both iconic pop eras but not something I think she would want to continue into her late twenties as an adult artist. 

3 hours ago, JChristian said:

I would literally agree with you if it was one anyone else than Miley. But when Miley was in her Bangerz era she was like "This is the real me, I make what I wanna do, the only bitch I want on my record is Britney" and stuff, like she was totally in control and even when she was showing a lot, and sometimes too much skin, she was really owning up to it, she even said that she didn't want to perform anything pre-Can't Be Tamed because she didn't recognize herself in that (or something). And now she has this album and she's like "This is the real me, I don't care about the charts"...I'm calling BS on her. Not because she went country, I'd take Colbie Caillat anytime over all the same sounding EDM/HipHop/pop stuff we hear on the radio from artists who care more about selling than music, but I don't see how real Miley really is. That said I have major respect for her humanitarian work and the advocacies she takes on. 

5 minutes ago, Chris88 said:

I would literally agree with you if it's one anyone else than Miley. But when Miley was in her Bangerz era she was like "This is the real me, I make what I wanna do, the only bitch I want

on my record is Britney" and stuff, like she was totally in control and even when she was showing a lot, and sometimes too much skin, she was really owning up to it, she even said

that she didn't want to perform anything pre-Can't Be Tamed because she didn't recognize herself in that (or something). And now she has this album and she's like "This is the real

me, I don't care about the charts"...I'm calling BS on her. Not because she went country, I'd take Colbie Caillat anytime over all the same sounding EDM/HipHop/pop stuff we hear on

the radio from artists who care more about selling than music, but I don't see how real Miley really is. That said I have major respect for her humanitarian work and the advocacies

she takes on. 

I think Miley evolves constantly and is growing as a person... with Bangerz she felt herself bc she was always supposed to play the role model and she was done with that pressure so she went crazy Miley mode plus Liam broke up with her so she was unstable IMO... we gotta realize she was in a show that pretty much destroyed her life bc people projected an image on her that wasn't her and she had so much success at such a young age, of course she was gonna do something crazy at some point. Then she was mainly on drugs while doing Dead Petz and stuff, but then she went back to Liam and took some time away from the glitter world and find herself growing and changing. Plus she decided to be sober (it's been 6 month now)... It happens to all of us in our 20ies, we are always figuring out who we are and who we want to be...