We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Sign in to follow this  
breatheheavy

Shania Twain's New Album 'Now' Debuts At No. 1

Demi and Miley land in the Top 5.

Shania Twain's first album in 15 years hit the top of the charts.

It was worth the wait. Shania's new record Now opened with pretty solid numbers. According to Billboard, the country singer sold 137,000 equivalent album units. Here's a copy + paste excerpt from BB about why this is a big deal:
Of that sum, 134,000 were in traditional album sales -- the third-largest sales week for a country album in 2017, and the largest for a woman in nearly two years. Now, which was released on Sept. 29 through Mercury Nashville, is Twain’s second No. 1 album and the first chart-topping country set by a female artist in over three years.

Now is the second country album to hit No. 1 on the Billboard 200 in 2017, following Thomas Rhett’s Life Changes. Now is also the first country set by a woman to lead the chart in over three years, since Miranda Lambert’s Platinum spent a week at No. 1 (June 21, 2014).

Additionally, Now notches the third-biggest sales week for a country album in 2017.

Quite the comeback! But it's also worth mentioning her competition.

The late Tom Petty (and The Heartbreakers) returned to the charts as well. The Greatest Hits compilation moved 84,000 units.

That blocked Demi Lovato's new record, Tell Me You Love Me, from debuting at No. 2. She comes in at No. 3 with 74,000 units (48,000 in traditional album sales).

Rapper A Boogie Wit da Hoodie's new album, The Bigger Artist, soars to No. 4 with 67,000 units (10,000 in traditional album sales).

Then there's Miley. Poor Miley. Younger Now scooched into the Top 5 at No. 5 with 45,000 units (33,000 in traditional album sales).

Thoughts on Shania's big debut? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

1 hour ago, greenbear89 said:

She had a concert ticket bundle deal, which is also why her sales were so high. 

You've obviously didn't read the article much since it stated  " 134,000 were in traditional album sales", meaning, people actually physically purchased the album. So with or without the help of the ticket bundle, she still would have the #1 album regardless. And I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere (not 100% sure) that the tour bundle #'s were not included in the count.

1 hour ago, mmmpatti said:

You've obviously didn't read the article much since it stated  " 134,000 were in traditional album sales", meaning, people actually physically purchased the album. So with or without the help of the ticket bundle, she still would have the #1 album regardless. And I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere (not 100% sure) that the tour bundle #'s were not included in the count.

uh that includes the cds purchased with the bundle. equivalent album units is 137,000 (which is with streaming). So you're trying to tell me her streams PLUS ticket bundles only give her 3,000 more? I don't think so. 

9 minutes ago, greenbear89 said:

uh that includes the cds purchased with the bundle. equivalent album units is 137,000 (which is with streaming). So you're trying to tell me her streams PLUS ticket bundles only give her 3,000 more? I don't think so. 

No, what I was trying to tell you that there is a possibility that "ticket bundles" are not part of the charting. But that I'm not 100% sure on that. Some source were saying they count and some were saying they don't. Billboard says " A limited array of verifiable sals from concert venues is also tabulated" but doesn't state that albums given with ticket sales are included in the charts. To me this just states that some CD's purchased at a concert counts towards the chart.

Demi and Miley's sales are really surprising. Including streaming, this is low. Demi saves face but Miley. I like to say "sales don't matter" and I think it's true for people who don't have access to shows like Ellen or Jimmy Fallon, but with mainstream singers like Miley not reaching 50k must be disappointing. Now tbh some female artists have "low" sales, I mean Fergie's second album sales were a huge disappointment. But I was criticizing Katy Perry's messy promotional trail for Witness but she still kicked asses because she reached 180k, which is almost 4 times what Miley did. :plzexplain:

2 hours ago, Chris88 said:

Demi and Miley's sales are really surprising. Including streaming, this is low. Demi saves face but Miley. I like to say "sales don't matter" and I think it's true for people who don't have access to shows like Ellen or Jimmy Fallon, but with mainstream singers like Miley not reaching 50k must be disappointing. Now tbh some female artists have "low" sales, I mean Fergie's second album sales were a huge disappointment. But I was criticizing Katy Perry's messy promotional trail for Witness but she still kicked asses because she reached 180k, which is almost 4 times what Miley did. :plzexplain:

Katy had tour bundles