We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

breatheheavy

Eminem Is Reportedly Dropping An Album One Week After Taylor Swift Releases 'Reputation'

I can't believe people still listen to him. I listened to him in Middle school, but now that I'm an adult I realize how pathetic it is that every time a 40 something year old man puts out at album he has to talk sh!t about other artists to get attention. He's annoying and sounds like a 15 year old boy still. Of course he would put out a new album after Trump is elected president. 

He may beat out Taylor for one week when he debuts, but I think in the long run Taylor's album will sell better. Taylor's last 3 albums have debuted with over 1 million copies in one week, in a time when most albums debut with 100k if they're lucky. I don't think Eminem's album will be anything near that, maybe he'll pull the same numbers as Lemonade at best. 

4 hours ago, SuperstarKED said:

I can't believe people still listen to him. I listened to him in Middle school, but now that I'm an adult I realize how pathetic it is that every time a 40 something year old man puts out at album he has to talk sh!t about other artists to get attention. He's annoying and sounds like a 15 year old boy still. Of course he would put out a new album after Trump is elected president. 

He may beat out Taylor for one week when he debuts, but I think in the long run Taylor's album will sell better. Taylor's last 3 albums have debuted with over 1 million copies in one week, in a time when most albums debut with 100k if they're lucky. I don't think Eminem's album will be anything near that, maybe he'll pull the same numbers as Lemonade at best. 

If you dislike Eminem for that but like TS it'd be pretty ironic

On 10/10/2017 at 8:22 PM, Dark.Knight said:

If you dislike Eminem for that but like TS it'd be pretty ironic

Taylor doesn't name drop people in songs and just make fun of people who have nothing to do with her. When Eminem talks sh!t about Britney, Will Smith, Lindsay Lohan, etc whoever else- they have NOTHING to do with him more often than not. Some of Taylor's songs may be about other celebrities, but she's not making fun of them for no real reason, Kanye, Kim, Katy Perry, Calvin Harris, etc, are all people who have some kind of connection to her. She's writing about her life and people who have had some kind of relationship with her. Eminem uses other celebrities to get attention. And he just makes fun of them, like a bully in middle school. 

4 hours ago, button said:

@LostInAnImage

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=309769

Eminem (Shady/Aftermath/Interscope) 280-300k SPS, 190-210k pure albums

Hey sis :bang:

Yep, I was clearly super wrong! :tbh:The predicted numbers would be fine for the majority of other artists, but are an immense and highly notable drop since his last album, which opened with 800k I believe.

Nevertheless, after the viral Trump freestyle, I'm not surprised at all honestly; he blatantly told his fans to either support the POTUS or remain his fan, and a massive portion of his fanbase has increasingly been comprised of politically conservative males throughout this past decade. But with that said, I'm also quite sure Eminem was well-aware of that demographic shift; hence, his decision to command such a distinction in loyalties prior to his album release. Plus, since he hasn't even released a music video yet, I'm not entirely convinced he gives a f**k about sales anymore (but I could be wrong regarding the latter; he's always been an amalgam of massive ego and tremendous insecurity). :umsaywhat:

Personally, I've listened to the majority of Revival today, but have yet to purchase it (not due to political partisanship, but complete depletion of student loans, haha). Anyway, I love a few tracks and hate a couple, but overall remain with mixed impressions. His albums generally have so many songs, (and lengthy ones at that), and as a fan I've always been primarily interested in his nuanced and witty lyrical content, so it usually takes me a while to reach a consensus regarding how I feel about each of his albums in their entirety. 

All that to be said, your early predictions were clearly correct, and I humbly admit defeat. :sendinglove:

On 17/12/2017 at 3:13 AM, LostInAnImage said:

Yep, I was clearly super wrong! :tbh:The predicted numbers would be fine for the majority of other artists, but are an immense and highly notable drop since his last album, which opened with 800k I believe.

Nevertheless, after the viral Trump freestyle, I'm not surprised at all honestly; he blatantly told his fans to either support the POTUS or remain his fan, and a massive portion of his fanbase has increasingly been comprised of politically conservative males throughout this past decade. But with that said, I'm also quite sure Eminem was well-aware of that demographic shift; hence, his decision to command such a distinction in loyalties prior to his album release. Plus, since he hasn't even released a music video yet, I'm not entirely convinced he gives a f**k about sales anymore (but I could be wrong regarding the latter; he's always been an amalgam of massive ego and tremendous insecurity). :umsaywhat:

Personally, I've listened to the majority of Revival today, but have yet to purchase it (not due to political partisanship, but complete depletion of student loans, haha). Anyway, I love a few tracks and hate a couple, but overall remain with mixed impressions. His albums generally have so many songs, (and lengthy ones at that), and as a fan I've always been primarily interested in his nuanced and witty lyrical content, so it usually takes me a while to reach a consensus regarding how I feel about each of his albums in their entirety. 

All that to be said, your early predictions were clearly correct, and I humbly admit defeat. :sendinglove:

yes his last album opened with 800k so this is very bad for him. obviously the Trump freestyle was going to make him lose a big number of conservative fans like u said but i guess he thought he would gain in return a new audience supporting him afterwards but it just didn't happen clearly.

i personally don't like the album. have u found out how u feel about it yet?

in other news, his prediction went further down

*Eminem (Shady/Aftermath/Interscope) 245-255k SPS, 180-190k Sales

less than 200k pure ouch:bang:

On 12/20/2017 at 5:19 PM, button said:

yes his last album opened with 800k so this is very bad for him. obviously the Trump freestyle was going to make him lose a big number of conservative fans like u said but i guess he thought he would gain in return a new audience supporting him afterwards but it just didn't happen clearly.

i personally don't like the album. have u found out how u feel about it yet?

in other news, his prediction went further down

*Eminem (Shady/Aftermath/Interscope) 245-255k SPS, 180-190k Sales

less than 200k pure ouch:bang:

Sorry for late response, haven't been on exhale for a bit!

Well, I don't hate it, but I do think it's his second worst album after Relapse, which arguably contained the worst couple of songs/singles of his entire discography (e.g., "We Made You," "Crack a Bottle," etc). After Relapse, I was pleasantly surprised by Recovery and Marshall Mathers LP II (neither of which were on par with The Marshall Mathers LP or The Eminem Show, obviously, but solid albums nevertheless with some fantastic highlights). But now, I feel like he's ironically "relapsed" into the mediocrity of Relapse. Also, I think his only chance at a hit this era would be accomplished by making the Ed Sheeran track a single, since it was #1 on iTunes for quite a while and would definitely receive massive cross-over radio play.

However, since he's definitely lost both the critical acclaim and commercial appeal for the first time for this current record, much of with contains lyrical content pertaining to this persistent vacillation as to whether or not to retire, I hope the feedback from this record will force him drastically one way or the other--deliver what we know he's capable of, which earned him the title of best-selling act of the 2000's, 2nd best-selling male artist of all time and best-selling hip-hop artist of all time, etc., or then gracefully retire with his iconic legacy intact. As of now, he's kind of in the same position as Britney, actually; although his impact did last longer, they were both the defining artists of their respective genres in the late 90's-2000's decade. 

So I'll still hold out (perhaps misguided) hope for both, but also am glad to have witnessed being a fan during their primes, since both were exceptional.

Hope you had a happy holiday!

22 hours ago, LostInAnImage said:

Sorry for late response, haven't been on exhale for a bit!

Well, I don't hate it, but I do think it's his second worst album after Relapse, which arguably contained the worst couple of songs/singles of his entire discography (e.g., "We Made You," "Crack a Bottle," etc). After Relapse, I was pleasantly surprised by Recovery and Marshall Mathers LP II (neither of which were on par with The Marshall Mathers LP or The Eminem Show, obviously, but solid albums nevertheless with some fantastic highlights). But now, I feel like he's ironically "relapsed" into the mediocrity of Relapse. Also, I think his only chance at a hit this era would be accomplished by making the Ed Sheeran track a single, since it was #1 on iTunes for quite a while and would definitely receive massive cross-over radio play.

However, since he's definitely lost both the critical acclaim and commercial appeal for the first time for this current record, much of with contains lyrical content pertaining to this persistent vacillation as to whether or not to retire, I hope the feedback from this record will force him drastically one way or the other--deliver what we know he's capable of, which earned him the title of best-selling act of the 2000's, 2nd best-selling male artist of all time and best-selling hip-hop artist of all time, etc., or then gracefully retire with his iconic legacy intact. As of now, he's kind of in the same position as Britney, actually; although his impact did last longer, they were both the defining artists of their respective genres in the late 90's-2000's decade. 

So I'll still hold out (perhaps misguided) hope for both, but also am glad to have witnessed being a fan during their primes, since both were exceptional.

Hope you had a happy holiday!

Sorry to butt in but I think Relapse is one of my least fave albums by him as well. Oh and Infinite, that was an underground release and was his first album and he's gotten better since then. I know Encore (the Britney Jean of Eminem's discography) gets a lot of hate but I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be. I think Encore still had better lyricism than Relapse did. Relapse was disappointing considering it was his comeback album after 5 years, Recovery definitely felt more like a comeback album to me. The accent on Relapse was annoying and some of the songs weren't up to the standards of his other material. But even Em himself wasn't happy with the album. The only songs on Relapse I really like are: 3AM, Insane, Deja Vu, Beautiful, Underground and Careful What You Wish For. We Made You and Must Be the Ganja are two of my least favourite songs by him. 

It's kinda sad to see that this era is pretty much a repeat of the Encore era where the public and critics were trashing his music, telling him to retire etc. I mean that's even what Em spoke about Walk On Water, how he feels like he can never really please people with his music because standards are set so high by the fans. I know reviews are pretty mixed so far but I don't think Revival is that bad. Not as good as Recovery or Marshall Mathers LP (1 and 2) and The Eminem Show (my fave Eminem album) but still miles better than Encore and Relapse. It does have a few filler/dull moments but there are some good songs that show his lyricism is STILL THERE. Especially on songs like Untouchable, Bad Husband, Castle and Arose. 

Album ranking: The Eminem Show > The Marshall Mathers LP > Recovery > The Marshall Mathers LP 2 > Revival > The Slim Shady LP > Encore > Relapse > Infinite 

I agree with you though that River could be a hit, although apparently it was confirmed somewhere it's the 2nd single. It's not one of my faves on the album but it has potential because of Ed Sheeran being featured on it. In fact it got to #2 in my country (UK) but Ed Sheeran is really popular here so that might have had something to do with it. I can understand the lukewarm response Walk On Water got, I think people had higher expectations for a Beyonce feature. I didn't like it at first but it's grown on me a lot and I love the lyrics in the song. 

39 minutes ago, Isla. said:

Sorry to butt in but I think Relapse is one of my least fave albums by him as well. Oh and Infinite, that was an underground release and was his first album and he's gotten better since then. I know Encore (the Britney Jean of Eminem's discography) gets a lot of hate but I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be. I think Encore still had better lyricism than Relapse did. Relapse was disappointing considering it was his comeback album after 5 years, Recovery definitely felt more like a comeback album to me. The accent on Relapse was annoying and some of the songs weren't up to the standards of his other material. But even Em himself wasn't happy with the album. The only songs on Relapse I really like are: 3AM, Insane, Deja Vu, Beautiful, Underground and Careful What You Wish For. We Made You and Must Be the Ganja are two of my least favourite songs by him. 

It's kinda sad to see that this era is pretty much a repeat of the Encore era where the public and critics were trashing his music, telling him to retire etc. I mean that's even what Em spoke about Walk On Water, how he feels like he can never really please people with his music because standards are set so high by the fans. I know reviews are pretty mixed so far but I don't think Revival is that bad. Not as good as Recovery or Marshall Mathers LP (1 and 2) and The Eminem Show (my fave Eminem album) but still miles better than Encore and Relapse. It does have a few filler/dull moments but there are some good songs that show his lyricism is STILL THERE. Especially on songs like Untouchable, Bad Husband, Castle and Arose. 

Album ranking: The Eminem Show > The Marshall Mathers LP > Recovery > The Marshall Mathers LP 2 > Revival > The Slim Shady LP > Encore > Relapse > Infinite 

I agree with you though that River could be a hit, although apparently it was confirmed somewhere it's the 2nd single. It's not one of my faves on the album but it has potential because of Ed Sheeran being featured on it. In fact it got to #2 in my country (UK) but Ed Sheeran is really popular here so that might have had something to do with it. I can understand the lukewarm response Walk On Water got, I think people had higher expectations for a Beyonce feature. I didn't like it at first but it's grown on me a lot and I love the lyrics in the song. 

We have a lot of similar tastes regarding Eminem; despite not really liking Relapse at all, I thought "Beautiful" was an absolute exception, and I love that track to this day.

And I agree with some of the criticism re: Revival; I also do think people are particularly hard on him because he's been the best in the game (or if not best at times, at least completely untouchable) for so long, that expectations are really high (from fans, critics, and himself alike). Plus, he just lost a massive portion of his US fanbase due to the Trump freestyle, not that he seemed to care, but it's helping fuel the media narrative about him being "over" (yet again).

I actually also really love "Walk on Water," even though I'm not a fan of Beyonce at all. I think it's really raw, vulnerable and relatable (much like "Beautiful.") Personally, I find it admirable when he lets his emotional guard down, but it would appear the masses disagree...I think they will always want the badass/asshole, just-dont-give-a-f**k persona of Slim Shady, but he's long outgrown that.

And truthfully, even if he was still pulling Slim Shady gimmicks, then people would simply bitch about how it's time for him to grow up and mature. So it's kind of a lose/lose situation for him.

I know he'll always be a brilliant lyricist and capable of amazing rhymes, I just hope the passion is still there. To me, that seems to be missing from this current record. I think he has a tendency to get inside his own head and in his own way. 

6 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

We have a lot of similar tastes regarding Eminem; despite not really liking Relapse at all, I thought "Beautiful" was an absolute exception, and I love that track to this day.

And I agree with some of the criticism re: Revival; I also do think people are particularly hard on him because he's been the best in the game (or if not best at times, at least completely untouchable) for so long, that expectations are really high (from fans, critics, and himself alike). Plus, he just lost a massive portion of his US fanbase due to the Trump freestyle, not that he seemed to care, but it's helping fuel the media narrative about him being "over" (yet again).

I actually also really love "Walk on Water," even though I'm not a fan of Beyonce at all. I think it's really raw, vulnerable and relatable (much like "Beautiful.") Personally, I find it admirable when he lets his emotional guard down, but it would appear the masses disagree...I think they will always want the badass/asshole, just-dont-give-a-f**k persona of Slim Shady, but he's long outgrown that.

And truthfully, even if he was still pulling Slim Shady gimmicks, then people would simply bitch about how it's time for him to grow up and mature. So it's kind of a lose/lose situation for him.

I know he'll always be a brilliant lyricist and capable of amazing rhymes, I just hope the passion is still there. To me, that seems to be missing from this current record. I think he has a tendency to get inside his own head and in his own way. 

I agree with you about the lose/lose situation. He can't keep doing Slim Shady forever tbh and I'm glad he doesn't really explore Slim Shady nowadays although Framed was kind of a throwback to that sound (reminded me of The Slim Shady LP a bit). And yeah Walk On Water's lyrics are incredible, the song has grown on me so much and I've loved the live performances he's done with Skylar Grey. The video was boring though. 

I think he still has passion, and the potential for some really good lyrics and delivery, some Revival tracks already confirmed this. 

As for Trump, well tbh that was bound to happen. Trump is just a very controversial figure that believe it or not has a strong army of supporters. But Em is still human after all and is allowed to state his political beliefs just like anyone else is allowed to. Yet when celebrities don't speak up about politics they also get criticised (Taylor Swift). 

25 minutes ago, Isla. said:

I agree with you about the lose/lose situation. He can't keep doing Slim Shady forever tbh and I'm glad he doesn't really explore Slim Shady nowadays although Framed was kind of a throwback to that sound (reminded me of The Slim Shady LP a bit). And yeah Walk On Water's lyrics are incredible, the song has grown on me so much and I've loved the live performances he's done with Skylar Grey. The video was boring though. 

I think he still has passion, and the potential for some really good lyrics and delivery, some Revival tracks already confirmed this. 

As for Trump, well tbh that was bound to happen. Trump is just a very controversial figure that believe it or not has a strong army of supporters. But Em is still human after all and is allowed to state his political beliefs just like anyone else is allowed to. Yet when celebrities don't speak up about politics they also get criticised (Taylor Swift). 

Well, what cracks me up is when people are now like, "why is Eminem suddenly being political?" Umm, apparently they've never heard of "Mosh," which he released right before the 2004 election in an effort to ensure Bush didn't get a second disastrous term. Perhaps if people had listened, our economy wouldn't have crashed into the worst recession since the Great Depression. Pretty sad when a rapper with a ninth grade education is more intelligent than the POTUS (for at least the second time now). :nyheadache: But people didn't take nearly as much offense back then, because while Bush had political supporters, Trump has FANS. And just like any hardcore stanbase, they are absolutely delusional.