We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Sign in to follow this  
breatheheavy

Pink Says She Was "Never As Big As Britney Or Christina"

pink-britney-christina-the-one.jpg

Pink's interview with the New York Times is the gift that keeps on giving.

The more you dive into it, the more gems you'll discover. She slammed producer Dr. Luke, saying the terrible predicament he's current in is his karma and says it's because he's "not a good person." Read the full story here.

Pink also expressed her thoughts on ageism in the music industry. Leading up to Beautiful Trauma, the singer said she braced herself for the radio to show disinterest in the new music because they don't play artists under 35-years-old "unless you're Beyonce."

And now we get a Britney/Christina mention. Perf! She opened up about her life as a singer who was never "the one" – a major super star – which is hilarious because it's completely untrue; her humility is actually really endearing.

“I’ve never won the popularity contest,” she said. “I was never as big as Britney or Christina. If you look at any paragraph about pop music, I don’t get mentioned — my name doesn’t come up. And yet, here I go again, right under the wave, duck-diving.”

What's most interesting about that quote is Pink built part of her reputation off of NOT being "one" of those girls. That was her shtick, and it undoubtedly worked.

Thoughts on Pink's statement? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

4 minutes ago, 3Pney said:

even becky g is way more popular than xtina.

everyone is bigger than her. :tiffcackle:

pink should not be worried about xtina :urite:

Christina was a big star from 1999-2005 lbr. Her first album sold like 18m and Stripped sold like 13m! Pink's biggest selling album was like 10m, so.

None of them was as big as Britney, tho. 

:mattafact: 

6 minutes ago, BreatheOnMoi said:

But wasn't P!nk's whole image based on being the "outcast" girl that wasn't exactly pop because of her tough image? No duh she's not mentioned lol

P!nk, girl bye :ehno:

and she was selling the same amount of records as JLO for instance, she was never on Britney's level of success or influence. :urite:

13 minutes ago, SlaymeMore said:

I don't think she's complaining. She's just being honest.

It's complaining that she is not being given the credit that she needs or deserves, so to speak. 

Honestly, I feel like her peak was in 2008 with Funhouse. "Please Don't Leave Me" and "So What" were everywhere. I still hear those and "Who Knew" on the radio all the time. "Just Like Fire" and "Try" were also huge and they were both after 2011 (the final year of pop IMO), and barring Scream & Shout, were bigger than any Britney or Christina song post-2012.

19 minutes ago, Diamond Horse said:

What makes it come off as complaining?

She comes of as extremely conceited in this interview. 

And it’s not as if she’s unfairly being ignored, she’s had her share of big success. She has a lot of hits, but it’s as if she’s saying she’s not getting enough credit.

2 hours ago, Brichney. said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/arts/music/pink-interview-beautiful-trauma-trump.html

“I’ve never won the popularity contest,” she said over the roasted chicken and vegetables she declared “mostly cooked.” “I was never as big as Britney or Christina. If you look at any paragraph about pop music, I don’t get mentioned — my name doesn’t come up. And yet, here I go again, right under the wave, duck-diving.”

Neither christina was never big as Britnet

I don't get that she's complaining. She's just stating a fact. It's true. She's not talked about with them.

But... in my opinion, She should be happy tbh. Britney's celebrity came with a huge downfall and she's still not the same performer yet and XTina hasn't released good solo music in awhile. Pink has been pretty consistent with catchy songs for most of her career. so maybe it was best she wasn't the "big" star like them. I'd personally rather having consistency than a "prime" that ended before I hit 30.