We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Sign in to follow this  
breatheheavy

Pink Says Radio Doesn't Play Artists Over 35 ("Unless You're Beyoncé")

Who run the world? Pink.

Who run the world? Pink.

Pink braced herself for what she believed was the inevitable: radio wouldn't show love for her new song "What About Us," the first taste off the singer's forthcoming record Beautiful Trauma (out Oct. 13). Despite selling 16 million albums, 45 million digital songs and having 23 songs in the Billboard Top 40 (four of which went No. 1), Pink says she prepared for disappointment when it came to radio play.

Related:
Pink Says Dr. Luke Is "Not A Good Person"

“I had the whole sit-down, you know: ‘Just be prepared, they don’t play girls over 35 on Top 40 radio,’” the singer told the New York Times.

“There are exceptions, but they’re songs, not artists — unless you’re Beyoncé.”

Pink's new single is actually gaining spins on radio and for all intents and purposes is performing considerably well. Someone should probably tell her that.

Do you agree with Pink? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

For my part, I don't really listen to the radio anymore so I don't know. But Madonna seemed to also say something similar a few years so I guess somewhere she's not wrong. I'm sure local radio stations are still big hits among people and stuff but I'm sure music radio stations are dying a very slow death with streaming and SoundCloud-like platforms. It's sad that artists get filtered like that because of age or something. 

She's kinda right. I don't even think Beyonce really gets played on radio though, not since Drunk In Love anyways. I heard Formation on the radio like once, and it was an r&b/hip hop station- not a pop/top 40 one. I also think Pink's new song doesn't really fit with what they're playing on the radio right now... it has to be more r&b/hip hop or sound like a chainsmokers song right now, which I hate but it's just the popular thing right now. What About Us is a great song, I think it deserves to at least be top 10, but it doesn't look like that will happen. It's just been a tough couple years for female artists, especially pop veterans who have been around a while. Britney, Mariah, Madonna, J.Lo, Janet, Katy, Gaga,- all of their most recent efforts haven't performed as well as we're used to seeing from them. I think it partly has to do with the way pop fans consume music compared to r&b/hip hop fans. But I also think its because we're just coming out of a period where female pop artists were dominating the charts and to the gp they all seem too similar or something? or they're sick of that sound? I mean even younger artists like Miley, Selena, Ariana, and Demi aren't doing as great as they did previously. Taylor & Adele are the exceptions. 

15 minutes ago, danny1994 said:

Sorry P!nk, but Adam Levine is 38

He's not a woman tho. Jordan should fix his title cause the Pink quote says girls

Anyway this song seems to be doing well and she also got a hit last year when if i'm not mistaken she was over 35 but in general i believe that they favor younger and "cooler" artists

18 minutes ago, Screamous said:

Adam levine is not a pop girl, even thought he sounds like one :tiffcackle:

I was just responding to the title, should’ve said “pop girls” in it  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

2 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Gurl you know damn well men can be 55 and still get pop hits in the sexist music industry. :shameless: I swear the last hit song by a middle aged woman was On the Floor in 2011.

You have a point, but Sia is an exception :shameless:

Just now, BoyToySoldier said:

That's true, she looks so youthful for her age

sia_gif_1_1450178015.gif

It’s just amazing she beat all odds, in an industry obsessed with age and looks she was able to have success.

Not criticizing her looks but she hides her face all the time, lol

6 hours ago, iZacaree said:

I hear “What About Us” on the radio all the time! It seems to be doing reasonably well. 

4 hours ago, Derrick said:

I hear pinks new song more than I’ve ever heard a Beyoncé song on the radio though.

she is kinda greedy then :plzexplain:

although I appreciate the Beyonce shade :milkney: