We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Sign in to follow this  
breatheheavy

Miley Cyrus' 'Younger Now' Is Not Selling Well

Week without you.

Miley Cyrus' new album Younger Now gets off to a lukewarm start.

The record is easily her most mature and personal effort to-date, but it appears audiences aren't fully embracing Malibu Miley. She spent years crafting the wildn' out, tongue wagging, nude latex wearing Bangerz brat only to wander off into the bizarrely experimental Dead Petz cave and re-emerge as a country-pop cabbage patch. It's a lot for people to absorb, which is kind of the point. Miley says her new album is titled Younger Now because she's embracing her past selves and has never felt... younger. "No one stays the same," "what goes up must come down" and "change is a thing you can count on" from the album title track perfectly explains this. Unfortunately, her message didn't translate.

According to estimated figures from Hits Daily Double, Younger Now is projected to sell between 30-40k. Sales plus streaming figures look better with 45-50k, but it's by far her lowest opening week ever (Dead Petz was released for free and therefore ineligible to chart).

Why is this happening? Miley's sparkly, larger-than-life persona she created was fascinating to watch. The messiness and unpredictability was a juicy ingredient for her Bangerz bops. Clearly, people aren't here for can't be tame Miley. Younger Now also doesn't appear to have a solid radio hit. The album title track, "Malibu," "Week Without You" and "Inspired" were fun tracks, and the songwriting is honest and strong, but they lack the pizazz we've grown accustomed to.

Younger Now is expected to debut at No. 4. Shania Twain's Now will debut at No. 1, Demi Lovato's Tell Me You Love Me at No. 2 and A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie's The Bigger Artist at No. 3.

People want their jams and they want them hot & ready.

Thoughts on Miley's sales? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

44 minutes ago, fucknfurter said:

Jordan, did you put a strikethrough code in and forget to close it off? I can't even pay attention to the topic because of this.

But, that sucks. Sorry, Miley.

Thought I was going crazy... 

I'm sorry for Miley, but TBH as much as I respect her as an artist, I'm not into country music so i won't buy it. Her audience may try to be faithful, but when you like the pop sound of an artist, you're entitled not to like the country sound of her.

I'm really not into country music in general, sorry.

34 minutes ago, MissDarcy said:

Thought I was going crazy... 

I'm sorry for Miley, but TBH as much as I respect her as an artist, I'm not into country music so i won't buy it. Her audience may try to be faithful, but when you like the pop sound of an artist, you're entitled not to like the country sound of her.

I'm really not into country music in general, sorry.

15 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

Same. :orangu:

ETA: While typing, my post had strikethrough as well, but upon posting the curse was apparently lifted? :nocomprende: Now I'm right back to wondering if I'm seeing things.

Mine did that, too, but it's a trick; I edited my post to reflect that it'd changed, and the lines reappeared again. I really think he didn't close out a strikethrough code on the OP.

(Also, I agree about country music, MissDarcy. It takes a lot to get me to even want to listen to the genre.)

Younger Now is a beautiful song, not something i would listen to everyday, but still a cool track and i like that she didn't use any gimmicks this time, she can save that for her next one. I need the right mood for songs like that. :snapney:

I think her sort of dissing her old eras didn't help. I would've started the era with younger now then Malibu but i don't think she should give up on it so quick. 

I get she doesn't wanna be stuck on gimmicks forever, maybe they should cater this more to country audience. I would think this would be popular since she's got country so much in her family

17 minutes ago, DJSLAYZEE said:

I think her sort of dissing her old eras didn't help. I would've started the era with younger now then Malibu but i don't think she should give up on it so quick. 

I get she doesn't wanna be stuck on gimmicks forever, maybe they should cater this more to country audience. I would think this would be popular since she's got country so much in her family

Well, the "problem" is that even though she's physically and musically way more conservative at this time, she remains highly liberal/progressive sociopolitically, and is very outspoken about her beliefs. Unfortunately for Miley, the consumers of country music are far more likely to be right-wing/conservatives, and I would be very surprised if her political affiliations didn't alienate those listeners. 

I think that's probably why someone like Taylor Swift, who otherwise makes very personal details of her life extremely public, refrains from making any real statements regarding her religious or political beliefs. That way she doesn't lose the conservative country base that propelled her to success, nor alienate the liberal pop fanbase that she currently caters to. 

Miley alienated a lot of her fan-base, and the general public, during the Bangerz era. Honestly, that whole era was just gross and cringeworthy. The music was definitely more fun, but Miley was trying way too hard to be edgy. It was just a total mess. 

Now, it’s like she’s trying to over-correct the mistakes she made during the Bangerz era by being super bland and boring. She went from one extreme to the other. 

I appreciate the songwriting on Younger Now, and there are a few okay songs, but the album is pretty boring. That’s a shame because Miley is actually a talented songwriter and a great vocalist. She has her own, unique voice, and she could definitely be doing something much better with it.