We see you're not registered!

By creating an account on Exhale, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

breatheheavy

Only 166,000 People Tuned In To MTV's TRL Reboot

5 hours ago, For Your Entertainment said:

Its night and day. You basically took the fan to artist experience away with sorry to say like these "forums" like these allowing hate to be online.

Uhh...there were Britney (and other artists) forums back in the day as well...and a lot of the complaints have been very similar

Britney Boards (I think that was the name before it turned into Eternal Allegiance), World of Britney, etc.

8 hours ago, Shadow. said:

is anyone shocked? the kids & teens who watched trl have grown up & moved on & today's young audience have access to everything online. why wait for them to play a video when u can watch it instantly on youtube? a pathetic attempt to revive mtv after it turned to sh!t with reality shows.

This. Hell, and how are you gonna reboot and not bring back Carson? Like nah, bitch. If it was like back in the day when Carson would hang with/interview SUPERSTARS and they would debut their music videos ON THE SHOW, then that would be cool. But literally watching a playlist when you can do it on YouTube without unnecessary commentary and commercials? :haha: 

Let me be the fucking adult here and tell you what ruin the good days and good times. The Millenials, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and the glorification of that lifestyle of not caring plus looking like sh!t with crazy fashion statements. You took your freedom of expression to an extreme to fit in. You took your neck and caused it more problems down the road. LOOK UP AND LIVE LIFE! If you notice the fashion of Carson Daly when TRL was at its best and then you turn on the new TRL the fashion and attitude. Its night and day. You basically took the fan to artist experience away with sorry to say like these "forums" like these allowing hate to be online. Meaning we have no more Britney vs Christina's or Backstreet vs Nsync anymore. Meaning your opinions and words are replaced by an emoji and cannot construct well-thought sentences The internet screwed with the listening to the radio, watching VIDEOS on MUSIC TELEVISION.I bet the majority of those who read this don't remember Napster? The youth ruin the Billboard Charts and the "#1 most requested video" of the day.  Remember what that is called and going to concerts safe without worrying about what happened in Las Vegas. Our diverse culture is fabulous and as many of the gay young men on here will not worry about their culture but more worry about being online and not going to their libraries to read a book. Nope, it's online! Do you see a pattern? I may be from the Carson Daly which I am proud of but you millennials and younger "leaders" ruin it. WAKE UP! Keep loving the Kardashians. NO ONE CARES ABOUT THAT FAMILY AND WHAT THEY REPRESENT!! KEEP GLORIFYING CELEBRITIES AND NOT THOSE WHO SERVE AND PROTECT YOU FREEDOM TO RUIN THE REAL TRL DAYS OF THE PURE LOVE FOR MUSIC! Do you know what is a VHS? VCR? Modern technology can fun but it comes at a cost. THINK ABOUT IT! 

EXAMPLE I LOVE BRITNEY SPEARS BUT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britney_Spears_discography

LOOK AT THE NUMBERS IN SALES FROM BABY ONE MORE TIME TO GLORY. IT IS PATHETIC THAT THE DIGITAL AGE RUINED THE EXPERIENCE OF WORKING HARD FOR YOUR MONEY TO GO TO THE MALL TO BUY A VINYL, TAPE OR CD. IF IT IS NOT BROKEN DONT FIX IT. THINK ABOUT IT! 

You sound so butthurt, though. :beynah: 

you millennials 

So you're what, forty? Fifty?

Because the Millennial generation ends at thirty-five. It includes Britney, myself, and the majority of her fanbase. Why do I have to keep explaining to people here that they're apart of the generation they badmouth, and teenagers aren't included in it? Can you not go to one of those libraries you mentioned and do your research? 

Yes, we played a part in the digital age coming to life, just as Generation X and the Boomers did for creating and perfecting computers in the first place: but this one's on the industry for not being able to keep up with the times, places like Napster for inspiring illegally downloading and torrenting music as BoyToy mentioned, and Britney's numbers are on her for never promoting or giving a crap. It's quite simple.

40 minutes ago, Dark.Knight said:

Uhh...there were Britney (and other artists) forums back in the day as well...and a lot of the complaints have been very similar

Britney Boards (I think that was the name before it turned into Eternal Allegiance), World of Britney, etc.

Yep. WoB was the place to be back in TRL's heyday and from the start of her career.

And they always had something to bitch about/"hate on" back then, too.

12 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

Just stop.

MTV-TRL.jpg

MTV's attempt to shift the focus back onto went unnoticed.

2017 keeps churning out reboots and remakes, so MTV hopped on the bandwagon. They decided to revive TRL, which no one asked for. Yes, like American Idol. And the numbers don't lie – it was a disappointing turnout.

Showbuzz shared live+same-day viewer data. Monday’s episode drew an abysmal 0.10 adults 18-49 rating and averaged 166,000 overall viewers. It's especially horrendous considering they had some pretty high-profile acts featured (Ed Sheeran and Migos).

Why wasn't it a bigger success (in terms of numbers)? Because Ed Sheehan and Migos are available a few taps away on your smart phone. TRL worked in the early 2000s because social media did not exist, and really the only place viewers could soak up their favorite tunes and videos was on television. It was also competing against things actually worth watching, like coverage of the Las Vegas tragedy and President Trump throwing toilet paper at the citizens of Puerto Rico like he was the performing in a rock show (gross).

To put things into perspective, 166,000 viewers is less than half the amount of people watching when it was cancelled in 2008.

EW posted a scathing review of it.

Also it's worthing pointing out there was no "request" in yesterday's Total Request Live, nor was there any music videos or any comment on the show's new format. But it's 2017 and we all live in a fantasy world anyway so it's fine.

Did YOU watch TRL? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

It's not surprising. Times have changed too much. I realize this is a different show and was on a different channel, I LOVED the original Pop Up Video that came on VH1. I loved how that entire show was set up. They had older videos, more current videos and they had off the wall videos that you might not see that often. The show really introduced me to a lot of my favorites and I really have that show to thank for that. They brought back Pop Up Video a few years ago and it just wasn't the same. They focused more on modern artists and the facts just weren't as clever as the originals. 

I remember the original TRL. Maybe it might be good to see in studio performances or interviews. Why bother watching a countdown when you can hop on youtube and watch the entire video without a bunch of sh!t on the screen or screaming on the background?

12 hours ago, Shadow. said:

is anyone shocked? the kids & teens who watched trl have grown up & moved on & today's young audience have access to everything online. why wait for them to play a video when u can watch it instantly on youtube? a pathetic attempt to revive mtv after it turned to sh!t with reality shows.

I don't watch regular MTV. I think it's damaged goods and I'm not surprised they fucked up VH1 Classic when it became MTV Classic. I love watching and recording the 80s block and the Metal block, it must be on auto pilot because they play the same sh!t over and over again. You'd think everybody was a one or two hit wonder they way they do the blocks on the channel. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't became a graveyard for their old shitty reality shows.

9 hours ago, For Your Entertainment said:

Let me be the fucking adult here and tell you what ruin the good days and good times. The Millenials, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and the glorification of that lifestyle of not caring plus looking like sh!t with crazy fashion statements. You took your freedom of expression to an extreme to fit in. You took your neck and caused it more problems down the road. LOOK UP AND LIVE LIFE! If you notice the fashion of Carson Daly when TRL was at its best and then you turn on the new TRL the fashion and attitude. Its night and day. You basically took the fan to artist experience away with sorry to say like these "forums" like these allowing hate to be online. Meaning we have no more Britney vs Christina's or Backstreet vs Nsync anymore. Meaning your opinions and words are replaced by an emoji and cannot construct well-thought sentences The internet screwed with the listening to the radio, watching VIDEOS on MUSIC TELEVISION.I bet the majority of those who read this don't remember Napster? The youth ruin the Billboard Charts and the "#1 most requested video" of the day.  Remember what that is called and going to concerts safe without worrying about what happened in Las Vegas. Our diverse culture is fabulous and as many of the gay young men on here will not worry about their culture but more worry about being online and not going to their libraries to read a book. Nope, it's online! Do you see a pattern? I may be from the Carson Daly which I am proud of but you millennials and younger "leaders" ruin it. WAKE UP! Keep loving the Kardashians. NO ONE CARES ABOUT THAT FAMILY AND WHAT THEY REPRESENT!! KEEP GLORIFYING CELEBRITIES AND NOT THOSE WHO SERVE AND PROTECT YOU FREEDOM TO RUIN THE REAL TRL DAYS OF THE PURE LOVE FOR MUSIC! Do you know what is a VHS? VCR? Modern technology can fun but it comes at a cost. THINK ABOUT IT! 

EXAMPLE I LOVE BRITNEY SPEARS BUT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britney_Spears_discography

LOOK AT THE NUMBERS IN SALES FROM BABY ONE MORE TIME TO GLORY. IT IS PATHETIC THAT THE DIGITAL AGE RUINED THE EXPERIENCE OF WORKING HARD FOR YOUR MONEY TO GO TO THE MALL TO BUY A VINYL, TAPE OR CD. IF IT IS NOT BROKEN DONT FIX IT. THINK ABOUT IT! 

I do see what you're saying. I feel guilty if I write out something long on other sites because I fully expect a 'tl;dr' answer. I didn't write something that rivals the length of all the Harry Potter books. A lot of people just can't focus on something that's a few paragraphs long without their eyes glazing over. 

I still embrace old technology if at all possible. I still held onto VCRS and recording on a VHS tape way longer than a lot of people. I had a working dvd recorder and I'd still record on a vcr a lot of the time. The vcr started eating tapes and the other vcr in the house probably isn't much better. I do have boxes and boxes of vhs tapes and that's quite a dilemma when the technology's out of date. It's basically a lot of money going down the toilet because those boxes are basically collecting dust. The way I watch tv now, a DVR box really is best for me with what I watch now. I can watch it once and delete it.

I have an ipod and still enjoy cd players. I still buy cds for the artists I really enjoy. I can see a day where that's gonna go in the direction of the vcr and vhs tapes. I realize that's a minority opinion because a lot of people don't give a f**k about physical cds anymore. 

But I still have to defend the modern way, even if it seems like I'm stuck in the past with one toe dipped in the "modern" pool. The internet has helped me a great deal when a tv and a radio couldn't. I've shared on other posts that I'm a huge fan of Falco's. Been a fan for 20 years. I'm in America, hicksville Georgia. I've seen two Falco videos on tv and heard one song on the radio. Everything else would be a complete blank without a computer hooked up to an internet connection. Not only was I able to listen to the rest of his discography, I was able to purchase his physical albums. I'd only been able to find one album of his around the area I live in. It was "The Remix Hit Collection" so it wasn't even a regular album. A lot of albums I had to order from Austria and Germany, I managed to get them and I'm a huge nerd for being so giddy at that. :blol: 

---------

And I think my age also has a lot to do with how I treat technology. I named stuff I grew up on. My attitude might be DRASTICALLY different if I'm 15 instead of my early 30s. I was already a bit unusual with my tastes to start with. I can't imagine being a 15 year old in 2017 writing 'vcr' as something on my Christmas wishlist. I would think everybody would actually start being vocal with me and asking 'Why the f**k do you want a vcr?!!!' :girlwhat: :squintney:

37 minutes ago, fucknfurter said:

Because the Millennial generation ends at thirty-five. It includes Britney, myself, and the majority of her fanbase. Why do I have to keep explaining to people here that they're apart of the generation they badmouth, and teenagers aren't included in it? Can you not go to one of those libraries you mentioned and do your research? 

Yes, we played a part in the digital age coming to life, just as Generation X and the Boomers did for creating and perfecting computers in the first place: but this one's on the industry for not being able to keep up with the times, places like Napster for inspiring illegally downloading and torrenting music as BoyToy mentioned, and Britney's numbers are on her for never promoting or giving a crap. It's quite simple.

This. So much this.

42 minutes ago, fucknfurter said:

Yep. WoB was the place to be back in TRL's heyday and from the start of her career.

And they always had something to bitch about/"hate on" back then, too.

yeah it was fun back then, people think Britney only get criticized now

these are comments from another site back in 2002 when Britney cancelled the Mexico show due to the storm

• "That sucks for all her fans. I am NOT a Britney fan. She shouldn't just leave like that though. That's rather immature."
  • "If I remember correctly, she's been doing that a lot lately. I think Britney's getting close to breaking down."
  • "... i seriously doubt people went to hear her sing anyway... she just lip sings anyway... lol but she sure is nice to look at "
  • "have you seen lately? she's packed on the pounds. i figured it would happen eventually, she looked like the candidate to become an ogre.
    (heh not quite anna nicole smith level of fatass though)"
  • "The silicon is going to her head."
  • "The day we don't have to hear or see her anymore will never come soon enough..."
  • "look at her without her make up on and she is ugly. i also read that she would use animals on stage and some people from some animal group wanted to sew her. even though it says they had to go for saftey reasons, it sounds weird that she just suddenly went off without saying anything. it sounds as if shes telling lies to us again like that breast job she had.  oh yea and shes a bit of a sell out"

And people think exhale is mean just now, they forget it's always been like that in message forums

1 hour ago, Dark.Knight said:

yeah it was fun back then, people think Britney only get criticized now

these are comments from another site back in 2002 when Britney cancelled the Mexico show due to the storm

• "That sucks for all her fans. I am NOT a Britney fan. She shouldn't just leave like that though. That's rather immature."
  • "If I remember correctly, she's been doing that a lot lately. I think Britney's getting close to breaking down."
  • "... i seriously doubt people went to hear her sing anyway... she just lip sings anyway... lol but she sure is nice to look at "
  • "have you seen lately? she's packed on the pounds. i figured it would happen eventually, she looked like the candidate to become an ogre.
    (heh not quite anna nicole smith level of fatass though)"
  • "The silicon is going to her head."
  • "The day we don't have to hear or see her anymore will never come soon enough..."
  • "look at her without her make up on and she is ugly. i also read that she would use animals on stage and some people from some animal group wanted to sew her. even though it says they had to go for saftey reasons, it sounds weird that she just suddenly went off without saying anything. it sounds as if shes telling lies to us again like that breast job she had.  oh yea and shes a bit of a sell out"

And people think exhale is mean just now, they forget it's always been like that in message forums

Yep. I think it was cheri who pulled up a bunch of archives of Onyx Hotel reviews -- which were not nice at all. People were complaining back then and calling her lazy, bitching about her only singing Shadow and Everytime live, etc etc. (It may have been Shadow. (the member here, lol) or someone else, Idk for sure.) Can you imagine complaining about that nowadays? So freaking surreal.

1 hour ago, Dark.Knight said:

telling lies to us again like that breast job she had

Oh my God, remember when this was the biggest controversy around her after the lipsyncing crap (*oh, and the virginity thing; I forgot that one)? There was an entire site dedicated to proving they were implants, I remember it. They used pictures of her at the Teen Choice Awards (the year she wore the white crop top with mirror pieces on it and white pants; Lynne was her date) as "proof." There was also this big "I Hate Britney Spears" website, too. Like.... :hahaha: It's been a thing since 1999.

TRL was never going to happen tbh. 

I will say the new generation is so set on the new and only the new which is the problem with ppl born 2000 and up. 

I like the new but am aware we shouldn't get rid of the things in the past or not as quick. The past is less risky...

we were more free in the past than we are now. I love the Internet but we can't deny the negative parts of it. With crime, loss of privacy, plus the biggest negative impact will be the loss of communication skills to other ppl. Which makes up a good part of our emotional well being. 

Which is why we are seeing a spike in anxiety and depression imo 

One day I think a huge push for less technology will happen but it's so new and fresh everyone is obsessed right now. 

15 hours ago, For Your Entertainment said:

I can't at you acting like the late 1990s/early 2000s was this paradise and tecnology ruined it. :tiffcackle: Every generation glorified lack of talent one way or the other. You had Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie, we have the Kardashians. :tiffcackle: Terrorism also existed back then. So did bad music going up the charts, poorly-written sentences and music forums. :tiffcackle:

13 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Why are you putting the blame on me and my generation for technology advancing? What, did you think we were gonna be stuck in 2001 forever?

I actually still buy physical music, so go peddle that petty mess elsewhere. Britney's lack of sales has nothing to do with technology advancing btw. It's her lack of care and poor work ethic but go awf, I guess.

As time goes by, we're going to have more resources to do everything a lot easier than before. That's just the way life is. It's funny you mention Napster, because that gave birth to Limewire and Ares and Bearshare and all those other P2P torrent and illegal downloads started killing music sales. VCR at the time was fine, but we've moved onto better equipment that gives us better results. What, you'd prefer watching a new movie on VHS rather than an HD Blu-Ray disc?

This tea is piping hot. :angietea:

14 hours ago, For Your Entertainment said:

can u not be so patronising? this is just another "im a _ _ kid we were the best blah blah fucking blah!" things don't stay the same forever get the f**k over it. and u do realise the millennial generation u hate so much mostly consist of ADULTS who grew up in the trl era? sucks for u :tiffcackle: just another person jumping on the "i hate millennials"  bandwagon. u also realise that ur beloved "trl era" i.e the late 90s/early-mid 00s is what many consider the start of the digital age? :tiffcackle:if u hate forums & the internet so much why the f**k are u on here typing up a load of sh!t?  :tiffcackle: "let me be the fucking adult here" :tiffcackle::tiffcackle::tiffcackle:

13 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Why are you putting the blame on me and my generation for technology advancing? What, did you think we were gonna be stuck in 2001 forever?

I actually still buy physical music, so go peddle that petty mess elsewhere. Britney's lack of sales has nothing to do with technology advancing btw. It's her lack of care and poor work ethic but go awf, I guess.

As time goes by, we're going to have more resources to do everything a lot easier than before. That's just the way life is. It's funny you mention Napster, because that gave birth to Limewire and Ares and Bearshare and all those other P2P torrent and illegal downloads started killing music sales. VCR at the time was fine, but we've moved onto better equipment that gives us better results. What, you'd prefer watching a new movie on VHS rather than an HD Blu-Ray disc?

9 hours ago, fucknfurter said:

great posts :clap:

The first problem with this statement is that you are making assumptions and being patronising. Social media has 100% fucked up society and made people more vacuous, image conscious, self critical, depressed comparing their lives to others, even apathetic the list goes on but there's grown folks in their 40s and up on there too. 

People's have thought that their opinions are the be all and end all. I mean reaction videos are a joke but again old folk do it too and are extra sanctimonious with it too.

Stan battles have always been a thing. It's just more intense now cos they actually attack each other and get bitter with it. That's name after the 2000 Eminem song right? Listen to that song, and his song 'who knew', he mocks stupid obsessive fans and people outraging.

People were always mass shooting in America, people kinda associate America with that. High school shootings and that, the teens now might not even know about. 

I get what you're saying but your delivery is whack. The internet has made people self obsessed yes, it's still a new phenomenon though. People young people want to feel normal and have everyone like them, you were like that at one point. They are impressionable, and want to fit in, dream of fame. It's not their fault, if you can get a song quick and free, why would you go and buy one in a store, if you didn't know any better. Vinyl sales increase anyway? Record companies don't seem to really know what they're doing with the change. People's lives revolve around the internet, that's the problem. Stars need to stop pandering to what losers on the internet moan about and just do their thing. The worst thing about the internet is generation snowflake, none of what you listed.

So Millenials must be blamed for terrorists attacks now?:tiffcackle:

Use the internet to educate yourself and stop being ridiculous.

Back in the 19th century, ppl were also against technology advances and improvement for the future. Consequently, against all the advances achieved by now (including those appearing at the beginning of the 21st century (those you mention btw)).

Well, I guess idiots exist in all centuries:tiffcackle:

I am sure all of you guys have watched the NEW TRL these past couple of days. To be honest everyone at Viacom is in shambles that the show is pulling in record low numbers and are being dragged by every news media possible. The people in power do not want to re-instate the countdown despite fan outrage. The show is not testing well with audiences. Don't blame MTV, blame Lauren Waters (The Woman who casted all of these VINE/Youtube people)  

MTV blew almost 4 million dollars on this TRL reboot, they threw all of their eggs in 1 basket (with the idea that this was going to work)

Starting MONDAY, TRL will be reduced from 1 hour to ONLY 30 min

MTV.com has been updated to reflect this change

IF this does not work out TRL will be canceled in 3 weeks by Viacom.

2 hours ago, lolo. said:

So Millenials must be blamed for terrorists attacks now?:tiffcackle:

Use the internet to educate yourself and stop being ridiculous.

Back in the 19th century, ppl were also against technology advances and improvement for the future. Consequently, against all the advances achieved by now (including those appearing at the beginning of the 21st century (those you mention btw)).

Well, I guess idiots exist in all centuries:tiffcackle:

"BUT THE YOUNG PEOPLE WITH THEIR TECHNOLOGY!1!!11!!!. THEY DON'T USE VCRs AND VINYL ANYMORE!111!!11. THEY'RE RUINING THE WORLD!1!!1!. IT'S BECAUSE OF THEM TERRORISM AND FEAR EXIST!11! - even though the biggest terrorist attack ever happened during the so-called paradise he talks about and plenty of people were afraid to use planes or even open letters during that time. THEY GLORIFY LACK OF TALENT!11!1 - even though Paris Hilton became famous around that time. THEY'RE RUINING THE CHARTS1!!!1!! STOP USING THE INTERNET!!1!11!! - even though he wrote all that crap on a Internet forum. IT MADE STANS ANGRY!11! - except stan wars already existed (Lambs vs. J.Lo stans, Medonsters vs. Janetors, etc.) and so did internet hate."

I swear nostalgia can be so deceiving to some people. :awks: